StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Colonial Era

Notices and Announcements

American Colonial Era 1660-1763 The growth of North American colonies, often with a change in native & national control.

Old 13 Feb 09, 08:26
Recruit
UK

Hobbes is a balanced individual [0]
I found White Devil to be an excellent read. Anything but dry - can also say the same about Parkman's books.

Cheers, Chris
Old 25 Feb 09, 02:38
Sergeant Major
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 

HappyWlad is on the path to success [1-99] HappyWlad is on the path to success [1-99] HappyWlad is on the path to success [1-99] HappyWlad is on the path to success [1-99]
The Indian Wars of Pennsylvania: An Account of the Indian Events, in Pennsylvania by C. Hale Sipe

It covers quite a bit more than just the French and Indian Wars but its sections from Washington's trip to Pontiac's Rebellion is significantly larger than most entire books on the subject. Even though it was written in 1929, I can't find a more definitive book on the significant events of the French and Indian War in PA. The bibliography itself makes it worth the money.

Wlad
Old 25 Feb 09, 10:58
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWlad View Post
The Indian Wars of Pennsylvania: An Account of the Indian Events, in Pennsylvania by C. Hale Sipe

It covers quite a bit more than just the French and Indian Wars but its sections from Washington's trip to Pontiac's Rebellion is significantly larger than most entire books on the subject. Even though it was written in 1929, I can't find a more definitive book on the significant events of the French and Indian War in PA. The bibliography itself makes it worth the money.

Wlad
I had never heard of Sipe before, but after a brief check on the net he appears to be for his period a most respected historian. In addition to the book you mention he also wrote about the chiefs of the Pennsylvania tribes.

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 31 May 09, 15:18
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Model Forum Group Build 

Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100]
Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100]
Slug just threw The Scratch of a Pen at me and told me I have to read it. He found it fascinating and informative. I'll start with this after school is out. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 19 Jun 09, 08:39
First Sergeant
United_States

Gideon is on the path to success [1-99] Gideon is on the path to success [1-99]
gideon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
"Crucible of War" is the book on the Seven Years' War in North America. If you only read one book on the war, it should be Anderson's. Now, here are a few more:

Redcoats: The British Soldier and War in the Americas, 1755-1763 by Stephen Brumwell.

White Devil: A True Story Of War, Savagery, And Vengeance In Colonial America by Stephen Brumwell.

Paths Of Glory: The Life And Death Of General James Wolfe by Stephen Brumwell.

Breaking The Backcountry: The Seven Years' War In Virginia And Pennsylvania 1754-1765 by Matthew C. Ward.

Betrayals: Fort William Henry and the Massacre by Ian K. Steele.

Wolfe at Quebec: The Man Who Won the French and Indian War
by Christopher Hibbert.

Montcalm and Wolfe
by Francis Parkman.

The Annotated and Illustrated Journals of Major Robert Rogers edited by Timothy J. Todish.

Sons of the Mountains: The Highland Regiments in the French and Indian War, 1756-1767 Vols. 1 & 2 by Ian McPherson McCulloch.

Drums In The Forest: Decision At The Forks, Defense In The Wilderness by Alfred Proctor James, Charles Morse Stotz.

Siege 1759 : The Campaign Against Niagara
by Brian L. Dunnigan.
Thanks or the great list. I agree that Crucible of War is the major contemporaty book on the subject. The condensation --The War that Made America--is not as intimidating and a good read for those with passing interest in that period. But then, I have never found anyone on these pages who appears easily intimidated. Any thoughts on more of Parkman's books? I know he is accused of being "dated" but then, what's wrong with that so long as you read him in context.

Old 19 Jun 09, 10:31
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I've always been meaning to dive into this particular struggle. Thanks to all for the listing of books to choose from.
Old 31 Jul 09, 18:07
Lieutenant General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
I've been becoming far more interested in this particular war lately (I wonder why ) but so far haven't had any luck digging up books on it.

Thanks for the great listing!
Old 12 Oct 09, 22:18
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200]
Another one I can't believe I forgot. By Fred Anderson, author of "Crucible of War":

A People's Army: Massachusetts Soldiers and Society in the Seven Years' War

And for primary docs Knox's "Journals" are hard to beat:

Volume I
Volume II
Volume III
Old 10 Nov 09, 09:03
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
That Dark and Bloody River

Allan W. Eckert.

Settling of the Ohio River Vally and Ohio.

ISBN0-553-09448-3

He has a couple others from the same period but if your into the period this just might be one of the best. He is 6 time Pulitzer Winner so he is no strat up.

Best Bob B

JohnS
I have read everything I can get from Eckert. I find his narratives extremely well researched and, if inaccurate, I have been unable to prove it. My personal favorite is [I]The Conquerors [I] which is a detailed account of Pontiac's War.
Old 04 Jan 10, 16:16
Private First Class
United_States

goodfelladh is on the path to success [1-99]
I just thought I'd drop in here to leave a thought now that I have finally finished Anderson's magnificent Crucible of War. It is quite possibly the best, or at very least the most enjoyable, history book I've ever read. All I really know of the Seven Years War was what would commonly be recounted in books dealing with the American Revolution, so this really filled in a major gap in my reading and understanding. But, it's really so much more than just a book about the French and Indian War. The way that it carries things through Pontiac's Rebellion and up to the 1770s, it's a perfect book to read before going into Revolutionary books and histories. A great, great book and definitely glad that I finally picked it up.
Old 26 Jan 10, 18:16
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200]
A new one:
Braddock’s March: How the Man Sent to Seize a Continent Changed American History by Thomas E. Crocker
Old 26 Jan 10, 19:20
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
A new one:
Braddock’s March: How the Man Sent to Seize a Continent Changed American History by Thomas E. Crocker
And a very good one indeed. I just finished it about two weeks ago. It's an excellent overview of the Braddock campaign--well researched and well written.

The publisher has published one of my books, and he does a fine job of choosing his books and of creating a quality book.

Eric

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart
Old 11 May 10, 06:46
Major
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100]
A recent release: A Soldier Like Way by R.R Gale

http://www.burnleyandtrowbridge.com/...1751-1768.aspx

Old 11 May 10, 07:24
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

trebuchet has a spectacular aura about [400]
trebuchet has a spectacular aura about [400] trebuchet has a spectacular aura about [400] trebuchet has a spectacular aura about [400]
Right now I'm reading War on the Run: The Epic Story of Robert Rogers and the Conquest of America’s First Frontier by John Ross, which covers the history of Roger's Rangers in the French and Indian War. It's been an enjoyable and educational read thus far.
Old 17 Aug 10, 21:09
Recruit
United_States

REnglish is a balanced individual [0]
Having an interest in ranger, partisan and native american methods and how they developed into light infantry tactics will explain many of the following recomendations. Burt Garfield Loescher wrote a four volume history of Roger's Rangers which was reprinted in hardback a few years ago and can be found in locations like the museum at Roger's Island (Fort Edwards, New York), Fort Ligioner, probably Ticonderoga. Bushy Run Battlefield carried them but I am not sure the visitor center is still opened or not what with budget cuts , etc.
Three or four small volumes by Bob Bearor of "Partisan Fighters & Leaders of New France 1660-1760." A new book on the much writ of Roger's Rangers is "War on the Run" by John F. Ross, 2009.
"Ill-Stared General - Braddock of the Coldstream Guard" , Lee McCardell , 1958. This can be normally picked up for a song on amazon.com and is well worth reading.
Another recent book is " The Royal American Regiment, 1755-1772." by Alexander V. Campbell. This was the 60th Regiment of Foot.
I have 2 volumes of the " The Papers of Henri Bouquet" , volumes II and III dealing primarily with the Forbes Expedition and its aftermath. Many may find these overly long, technical and dry.
There is a fifteen volume series, now considered epic, "The British Empire before the American Revolution" by Lawrence Henry Gibson. I believe two of the volumes deal specifically with Seven Years War. Volumes can be found on amazon , normally for not too terrible a price. (Inter-Library loan will save you the thirty bucks).
Osprey has some interesting stuff. "Monongahela, 1754-55" , "Quebec 1759" , Louisbourg,1758", "Ticonderoga 1758" , "The forts of New France in Northeast America", "American Colonial Ranger 1724-64", "British Light Infantryman of the Seven Years War", etc.

There is no poverty of books dealing with the French and Indian/Seven Years War . More a case of so much history, so little time.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!