HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Turn-Based Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Turn-Based Strategy Games For all games that follow a turn-based format.

Old 05 Jan 09, 13:17
Recruit
United_States

jant is a balanced individual [0]
Looking for panzer general like game

hello,
i'm an huge fan of the panzer general series from ssi, i haven't played in years. Are there any games out there comparable? thanks.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 05 Jan 09, 13:50
Sergeant
United_States

mkqest is on the path to success [1-99]
You can play a free version of PG2 right now. It has a lot of user made campaigns, maps and scenarios. The link has all the files you need to download and play (without having the disk). Also has all original content but with updated unit icons. Hope this helps.

http://panzercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38679
Old 05 Jan 09, 13:51
General of the Forums
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
Slitherine released Commander Europe at War a while ago. Cosmetically the game looks amazingly similar although it is more game under the hood and it's a grand strategy setting not operational.

They took the game engine a step further and developed Commander Napoleon at War as well.

I personally think any Panzer General fan would love either of the above two offerings.

You can go one step further and join the younger crowd and play Panzer Tactics on the Nintendo DS. It truly looks like Panzer General in ever way, and you get it on a convenient hand held game device.
It's sad, that the rest of ACG effectively does NOT exist, I won't post on it, and some of the remarks in Politics by some of the members truly does influence my opinions on some of the membership. and it's not a favourable impression.
Old 05 Jan 09, 18:27
Recruit
United_States

jant is a balanced individual [0]
panzer general

hey,
thanks for the advice. i downloaded panzer general 2, but it's not running correctly. i have winxp and from what i've read online you can't run pg on winxp. i also tried commander europe at war but was disappointed. it's a nice try anyhow. anyone have any other recommendations?? do any of the panzer general games play on xp?? I'd appreciate any feedback. i'm itching to play panzer general again. thanks.
Old 05 Jan 09, 18:57
Sergeant
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jant View Post
hey,
thanks for the advice. i downloaded panzer general 2, but it's not running correctly. i have winxp and from what i've read online you can't run pg on winxp..
Well, I run XP too and it runs fine on my machine. Play all the time. Might try again or ask for help on their forum. They are a friendly bunch.

I have heard CEAW AI does not pay attention to N Africa or the ME and I found that hugely disappointing.

Good Luck. And if you find a game come back and post because I would enjoy a PG-like game too.
Old 05 Jan 09, 18:59
Sergeant
United_States

Did you download all the map files and everything? Just curious.

You have to download more than just the game. There is a series of zip files that include all new graphics, sounds, user made stuff etc.

It really does run on XP, I promise!
Old 05 Jan 09, 22:01
Sergeant
EU
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Folgore has disabled reputation
Hi guys!
I just surfed in and I'm gonna try it out even if I've Vista.

Have a great new year every1!
Old 06 Jan 09, 00:57
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folgore View Post
Hi guys!
I just surfed in and I'm gonna try it out even if I've Vista.

Have a great new year every1!
I have Vista SP1 and have not been able to get PG or Steel Panthers to run correctly on my system. Tried off and on for almost 2 months, and now I give up.

I did try the demo of Commander: Europe at War but it is not the same without the 3D aspect of PGIII.

I have not been able to find anything else.

Suggestions welcomed.
Old 06 Jan 09, 08:48
General of the Forums
Canada

LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
Actually, one of Commander Europe at War's, as well as a competitor that being Strategic Command best options, has been easily modded graphics. Strategic Command 2 actually went well out of its way in going into the 3d graphic realm as well.

I have heard though, that the 3d nature of Panzer General 3 actually killed off the game as it was considered a dismal flop of an effort. Myself, I am likely in that camp, as I didn't find the 3d look all that impressively done.

As for Steel Panthers, the version World at War (that has the mega Campaigns from Matrix Games) runs just fine in Vista (ok let me quantify that comment). The only hassle I found, was the mouse speed, it has the well known screen speed jump trouble that is a hard demon to banish. But otherwise, the game runs properly on my Vista 64 equipped rig.

I have heard that the SP Camo Steel Panthers versions are having trouble with Vista, but loading them onto my rig has not happened as of yet (too far done the list of getting done since I reluctantly converted to Vista, yes I wasn't a willing user).

With the intent being to aid others in making suggestions, can you tell us more precisely WHAT it was about Panzer General that you liked? Was it game play mechanics, AI skill level, time needed to finish a game off, setting level ie tactical to operational, operational, operation to near grand strategy level, just plain graphical visual appeal.
It's sad, that the rest of ACG effectively does NOT exist, I won't post on it, and some of the remarks in Politics by some of the members truly does influence my opinions on some of the membership. and it's not a favourable impression.
Old 06 Jan 09, 09:51
Lieutenant General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300] Double Deuce is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by les Brains View Post
I have heard that the SP Camo Steel Panthers versions are having trouble with Vista, but loading them onto my rig has not happened as of yet (too far done the list of getting done since I reluctantly converted to Vista, yes I wasn't a willing user).
I'm running both WinSPWW2/WinSPMBT on my laptop with Vista. No problems here except for Vista's User Account Control stuff saving stuff (mostly Pbem files) to the Virtual Store folder instead of the actual Pbem folder. Make sure you install and run as Administrator and you shouldn't have that problem.

Recruiting for a Dark Age RPG
Sponsored Links

Old 06 Jan 09, 10:27
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Actually, one of Commander Europe at War's, as well as a competitor that being Strategic Command best options, has been easily modded graphics. Strategic Command 2 actually went well out of its way in going into the 3d graphic realm as well.
SCII looks exactly like what I wanted! Thank you!
Old 06 Jan 09, 11:12
General of the Forums
Canada

Well Torien, if you want the opinion of someone that isn't really a fan of the tiles look in SC2, I will still say, that they did a fine job on their most recent item, that being SC Pacific.

It possesses all of the experience gained from the game's continued evolution. And on top of that, the Pacific isn't an over done part of the war.

I strongly suggest trying out the demo for it before going the usual European theatre choice (which also has a demo).
Old 06 Jan 09, 11:17
General of the Forums
United_States
SPQR Campaign 

Quote:
Well Torien, if you want the opinion of someone that isn't really a fan of the tiles look in SC2, I will still say, that they did a fine job on their most recent item, that being SC Pacific.

It possesses all of the experience gained from the game's continued evolution. And on top of that, the Pacific isn't an over done part of the war.

I strongly suggest trying out the demo for it before going the usual European theatre choice (which also has a demo).
Thanks. I Saw the Pacific game on their website. I will try both demos before purchasing.

Thanks again.
Old 06 Jan 09, 14:07
Lance Corporal
United_States

lparkh is on the path to success [1-99]
It's worth the effort to get PG2 and all the new campaigns going on XP (that is very doable) and even vista (it is doable apparently). The modern campaigns are much better then the originals. Really recommend them especially the "campaign challenges". There is a fully downloadable version with many new campaigns built in. Try it at: http://www.gilestiel.eu/ (and some Napoleonic and Civil War variants too!)
ALso recently I recommend Fantasy Wars. Modern version of Fantasy General (the Fantasy Panzer General title)
Old 12 Jan 09, 10:26
General of the Forums
United_States
SPQR Campaign 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lparkh View Post
It's worth the effort to get PG2 and all the new campaigns going on XP (that is very doable) and even vista (it is doable apparently). The modern campaigns are much better then the originals. Really recommend them especially the "campaign challenges". There is a fully downloadable version with many new campaigns built in. Try it at: http://www.gilestiel.eu/ (and some Napoleonic and Civil War variants too!)
ALso recently I recommend Fantasy Wars. Modern version of Fantasy General (the Fantasy Panzer General title)
I tried to get PG3 to run on Vista, and the game would freeze every time paratroopers were dropped!

Too annoying along with all the graphics and sound hitches. I have abandoned the attempt and am looking into the Strategic Command 2 and Pacific Theater games.

But I don't want to pay full price for these older games.

Anybody know where you can buy them for less? (They are not even listed on Amazon!)

Thanks for your feedback lparkh!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!