HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II

Notices and Announcements

World War II Discuss WW2. .

Old 02 Jan 09, 13:34
Recruit
United_States

Tor is on the path to success [1-99]
Question Ecole de Cavalerie

Hey, does anyone have anything on the Ecole de Cavalerie during World War 2, does anyone know about that? How the students fought the Germans and helped make it possible for the Dunkirk scene where all those soldiers escaped over the Channel?
I've looked all over and I can find no information on it! Help someone!
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 02 Jan 09, 13:49
Second Lieutenant
France

raum_schiff is on the path to success [1-99] raum_schiff is on the path to success [1-99] raum_schiff is on the path to success [1-99] raum_schiff is on the path to success [1-99] raum_schiff is on the path to success [1-99] raum_schiff is on the path to success [1-99]
Cadets de l'école de Saumur ?

The only WW2 French event with the "école de cavalerie" I know is : The Battle of Saumur.

Side notes: Saumur is a nice city ( I live nearby ), it still has an "Ecole de cavalerie" you can visit, as well as a great armor museum.
The nowadays military task of this school ( re-named "École d'application de l'arme blindée et cavalerie" ) is to train armored-reco drivers.

Best Regards,
Raum_Schiff.

Last edited by raum_schiff; 02 Jan 09 at 13:56.. Reason: Additional info.
Old 03 Jan 09, 14:53
Recruit
United_States

Yeah, I think that is it, where all the students of the cavalry school fought the Germans, and lost, but it was still an epic battle, do you know any details?
Thanks-
Tor
Old 03 Jan 09, 15:02
Recruit
United_States

Thanks for the link, that did give me some information!
Old 03 Jan 09, 16:01
Second Lieutenant
France

raum_schiff is on the path to success [1-99] raum_schiff is on the path to success [1-99] raum_schiff is on the path to success [1-99] raum_schiff is on the path to success [1-99] raum_schiff is on the path to success [1-99] raum_schiff is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
Yeah, I think that is it, where all the students of the cavalry school fought the Germans, and lost, but it was still an epic battle, do you know any details? Thanks
Sorry I'm more a WW1 than WW2 guy, the French Wikipedia is a bit more informative on this subject than the English one, I'll try to translate it and dig aroud on the net when I get time.
Perhaps some other forum members have more info than I, and will post before me ...

Anyway: stay tuned

Best Regards,
Raum_Schiff.
Old 03 Jan 09, 20:15
General
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

redcoat is simply cracking [600]
redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600]
There is a thread on the Axis History forum on this battle, it might be of interest to you,
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop...9&hilit=Saumur
Old 05 Jan 09, 03:57
Second Lieutenant
France

The only good link I could dig is in French ( here ), and does not add many things to the link posted by Redcoat which is a good summary of the battle.

Thanks Redcoat

Bregs,
Raum_Schiff.
Old 05 Jan 09, 09:33
General of the Forums
France
5 Year Service Ribbon 

PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700]
PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
Hey, does anyone have anything on the Ecole de Cavalerie during World War 2, does anyone know about that? How the students fought the Germans and helped make it possible for the Dunkirk scene where all those soldiers escaped over the Channel?
I've looked all over and I can find no information on it! Help someone!
read the book called 'the last brigade', ('la derniere brigade' in french),
by Maurice Druon it's about the heroic defense of the Cadets of the
'Ecole de Cavalerie de Saumur' during WW II in june 1940 against
tanks of german army. They had only few canons and horses to fight.

Le probleme avec les cons, c'est qu'il ne se fatiguent jamais
(The problem with Pr.cks, is that they never get tired ) Michel Audiard
Old 17 Jun 09, 10:18
Recruit
United_States

tallstuff3000 is a balanced individual [0]
another good book is "Dunkirk Crescendo" by Bodie and Brock Thoene. Part of the plot is the heroic defense of the Ecole de Cavalerie.
Old 21 Oct 12, 21:59
Recruit
United_States

JBLarm is a balanced individual [0]
This may be of little help & too late but the school and the fight the students put up is described in some "detail" in the well researched historical 1994 novel "The Twilight of Courage" by Bodie & Brock Thoene covering 1939-1940 and the events leading up to the "Miracle of Dunkirk".
Sponsored Links

Old 23 Oct 12, 11:48
Lieutenant Colonel
France
5 Year Service Ribbon 

asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300]
They were also using very outdated weapons, their stores being mainly used for parade and ceremonial purposes. Old Berthier m.1892 carbines and Gras m.1874/14 rifles.

The fight these cadets put up, considering the odds stacked against them, is definately one for the books. I've a book somewhere which states that one, maybe two German newspapers even paid tribute to their courage.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!