StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > The Middle East > Gaza Conflicts

Notices and Announcements

Gaza Conflicts Discuss the series of conflicts between Israel and Gaza militants.

Old 31 Dec 08, 10:12
Zombie Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500]
Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500]
Ralph Peters Analysis of Current Gaza Conflict

Ralph Peters has written a great summary of the main issues facing Israel (and the world) during this current crisis.

Quote:
(SPECIAL TO ARMCHAIR GENERAL, Dec. 30, 2008) Last Saturday, Israeli Defense Force aircraft launched over a hundred tons of precision-guided ordnance against a wide range of terrorist-related targets in the Gaza Strip. Extraordinarily well-planned and well-executed, that first wave of attacks was only the beginning.

Serious military observers were struck immediately by the changed mentality of the IDF and Israel’s government. In 2006, timidity, dithering and confusion led to a self-inflicted defeat. But the Israelis learned the hard lessons. When the first F-16s with blue and white insignia screamed in over Gaza last weekend, it became clear that the IDF—or at least its air arm—meant business this time.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/the-g...mas-reacts.htm

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 31 Dec 08, 10:36
Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Fascinating article! Apart from his use of the word 'leftist'(this is not right vs. left, why start that war?). I totally support Israel in it's efforts to eradicate terrorism and think we should be willing to do the same, yet consider myself, in many aspects, liberal. I agree these Hamas-supporting idiots deserve a title though. I have an uncle who is a rabid Bush-loving conservative, and I know he's probably marching in one of these protests. I think the bias is more hawk vs. dove, though I think anti-Israel also plays a part. I have an ex-brother-in-law in Greece who is obsessed with this idea of a 'Jewish conspiracy'.

Last edited by macgregr; 31 Dec 08 at 10:43..
Old 31 Dec 08, 10:45
General
Switzerland
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300]
ha, after Peters got it completely wrong on Georgia (and IRaq, and Afghanistan, etc.), I am not surprised he gets it completely wrong again here.

ok, I actually gointg to temper that. (I forgot to read the last page). ok, while I think his premises on the causes for war are totally wrong. he does say correctly what are the options for israel. and those are correct. I don't buy the "obama factor" though. obama will do just as all US pres do, cave in and slime at the feet of the lobby.

Last edited by piero1971; 31 Dec 08 at 10:54..
Old 31 Dec 08, 10:46
General
United_States

sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500]
sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgregr View Post
Apart from his use of the word 'leftist'(this is not right vs. left, why start that war?)

I think the bias is more hawk vs. dove
I think you'll find that the majority of anti-Israel people and organizations are leftist... not all, of course, but the majority.
Old 31 Dec 08, 10:47
General
United_States

sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by piero1971 View Post
ha, after Peters got it completely wrong on Georgia (and IRaq, and Afghanistan, etc.), I am not surprised he gets it completely wrong again here. pff, what a silly article...
Which parts are wrong?
Old 31 Dec 08, 11:11
Second Lieutenant
Italy

Arrigo is on the path to success [1-99] Arrigo is on the path to success [1-99] Arrigo is on the path to success [1-99] Arrigo is on the path to success [1-99] Arrigo is on the path to success [1-99] Arrigo is on the path to success [1-99] Arrigo is on the path to success [1-99]
I have found the article pretty spot on. Even the "left" comments aren't so far from the mark. Military nalysis is good and even political analysis... and still I have to see how Peters was so wrong in the past...

Bomben, Bomben, Bomben auf Hamasland!
Old 31 Dec 08, 11:12
Colonel
United_States

macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpup View Post
I think you'll find that the majority of anti-Israel people and organizations are leftist... not all, of course, but the majority.
Perhaps my uncle is an anomaly. He's a smart guy -ex Navy pilot. But he's anti-gun and while perhaps not anti-Semitic(he was in love for many years with a Jewish woman), he's definitely anti-Israel. I got it! This is a violence bias. To some it's 'ooh violence...bad' and that's as far as they can see. Perhaps he'll be reincarnated as a tree. I believe there are two worlds; a peace-loving one, and a war-loving one, and that the former is responsible for protecting itself from the latter if it is to survive.
Old 31 Dec 08, 11:23
General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgregr View Post
Perhaps my uncle is an anomaly. He's a smart guy -ex Navy pilot. But he's anti-gun and while perhaps not anti-Semitic(he was in love for many years with a Jewish woman), he's definitely anti-Israel.
Not sure why that would be an anomaly...

Quote:
I believe there are two worlds; a peace-loving one, and a war-loving one, and that the former is responsible for protecting itself from the latter if it is to survive.
The problem is that the "peace-loving" world has a double standard. Where was the outrage while Hamas was lobbing rockets at Israel for the last few weeks? (Sometimes upwards of 100 per day).

The standard excuse that I've heard has been "well, the Hamas rockets didn't kill very many people". In other words, the Israeli response has been "disproportionate". That's irrelevant.

Whereas Israel actually tries to limit civilian casualties, Hamas is trying to inflict civilian casualties. They just don't have the tools to do it.

Obama (of all people) nailed this ridiculous way of thinking when he said:

Quote:
“If someone was sending rockets on my house where my daughters were sleeping at night, I would do everything to stop it, and I would expect Israelis to do the same thing.”
Old 31 Dec 08, 11:44
General of the Forums
Romania

Imperial is simply cracking [600]
Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600]
I disagree with Ralph Peters's assessment.

The fact that IAF launched 100 tons of bombs doesn't prove any changed mentality. In the first 5 days of the 2006 war Israel bombed more than 1,000 targets in Lebanon. Most of them by way of the IAF. Nothing has changed in Israel's (over-)reliance on the air force.

The political timidity and hesitation has remained unchanged when it comes to ground troops.
Old 31 Dec 08, 12:00
Colonel
United_States

I want to write, but as I watch CNN, I can't stop laughing. This protester is saying about Obama 'he has to be called out. He pretended to be an anti-war president' with this sad look like someone took her ice cream. Maybe the bias is reality vs. utopia. Certainly I'm as much of an anomaly as my uncle I guess, but then so are many of my friends(in Philly at least). Different regions tend to create different politics in people.
Sponsored Links

Old 31 Dec 08, 21:05
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Not necessarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
I disagree with Ralph Peters's assessment.

The fact that IAF launched 100 tons of bombs doesn't prove any changed mentality. In the first 5 days of the 2006 war Israel bombed more than 1,000 targets in Lebanon. Most of them by way of the IAF. Nothing has changed in Israel's (over-)reliance on the air force.

The political timidity and hesitation has remained unchanged when it comes to ground troops.
Hezbollah spent years preparing and had excellent OPSEC. The IAF never had good enough targeting data to get as many weapons sites as would have been needed to avoid a ground attack. Hezbollah had also spent a tremendous amount of effort preparing anti armor defenses along possible IDF invasion routes and were quite well prepared when the ground attack did come.

In Gaza, Israel has good enough intell to take out individual Hamas and PIJ leaders driving to meetings. It would appear they have good enough targeting data to make a serious dent in Hamas capabilities. I imagine the are holding back the ground invasion to see how Hamas reacts and avoid rolling into another massive anti-armor ambush which was a tactic Hamas announced it would follow after the 2006 war.

Sending in the IAF first may look like 2006 all over again but without knowing what Hamas and Israel know about the situation on the ground we are really just speculating here.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Old 01 Jan 09, 08:44
Private
United_States

tranquill is a balanced individual [0]
Israeli dissident analytic writes that IDF op in Gaza is already stuck, Israelis are bogged down, and basically that's the end of the war: http://samsonblinded.org/news/israel...-momentum-5424
Old 01 Jan 09, 12:52
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Another speculation

What if the only purpose of the ground troops is to ping Hamas into redeploying their forces thus exposing them to the IAF?

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Old 01 Jan 09, 23:34
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoyote View Post
What if the only purpose of the ground troops is to ping Hamas into redeploying their forces thus exposing them to the IAF?

very good point
Old 02 Jan 09, 20:12
Major General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian HEAT View Post
Ralph Peters has written a great summary of the main issues facing Israel (and the world) during this current crisis.
Actually, the only things he seems to summarize are the military issues: the limits of military power and how propoganda influences any long term military strategy.

Since there is no practical military solution to Israel's problems, it doesn't seem like he's summarizing anything of real importance.

Tim

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!