HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > History Library > Orders of Battle

Notices and Announcements

Orders of Battle Orders-of-battle, TO&E's, and related information on who fought where and what they brought to the battle.

Old 21 Dec 08, 09:15
Corporal
UK

Gary Kennedy is on the path to success [1-99] Gary Kennedy is on the path to success [1-99]
USMC - May 1945 "G" Series organization tables

Bit of a longshot, but here goes!

I was wondering whether anyone might have the following two United States Marine tables of organization, and if so, would they be willing to share their copies? Both relate to the Marine Infantry Battalion.

T/O Ref G-3, 81-mm Mortar Platoon, 1st May 1945

T/O Ref G-4, Headquarters Company, 1st May 1945

I know the basic details for both these units, that the Mortar Platoon was 58 men with four 81-mm mortars, and that the HQ Company was 157 men with HQ, Intelligence and Supply Sections, a Communication Platoon and a Company HQ.

What I'm after are copies of the actual tables of organization rather than secondary sources, if that's at all possible.

Thanks,

Gary
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 21 Dec 08, 12:11
Major General
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon 

thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99] thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99] thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99] thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99] thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99] thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99]
gary why not email gordon rottman ,you got his email address ?..

thomas

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/
Old 21 Dec 08, 23:40
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700]
If Gordon R does not have those try this site

http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/...0battalion.htm
Old 22 Dec 08, 08:42
Corporal
UK

Gary Kennedy is on the path to success [1-99] Gary Kennedy is on the path to success [1-99]
Thanks Thomas, no I don't have Gordon's email address. Any chance you could copy my query over to him?

Thanks Carl also, unfortunately that's my website, and as you can see I'm very vague on Battalion HQ details!

Gary
Old 22 Dec 08, 13:47
Major General
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon 

thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99] thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99] thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99] thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99] thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99] thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99]
gary email me your address again and i will forward it to him ..

thomas

Old 22 Dec 08, 15:24
Corporal
UK

Thanks Thomas, it's garygjk@hotmail.com.

It's on the front of the website so it's no secret!
Old 23 Dec 08, 14:44
Major General
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kennedy View Post
Thanks Thomas, it's garygjk@hotmail.com.

It's on the front of the website so it's no secret!
passed it on to him gary with your email ..

thomas

Old 23 Dec 08, 15:01
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Jose50 gives and gets respect [800]
Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800]
..youo also might try the USMC history Battalion at Quantico..
Old 23 Dec 08, 15:40
Corporal
UK

I've already had some tables from Quantico. A very helpful person searched out a few I've been looking for, but some of those are missing pages, talk about cruel and unsual punishment...He's going to have another search in January for the AWOL pages, so I'm waiting on that.

He found the Rifle Company and Assault Platoon T/Os for the G Series Marine Battalion, but not the HQ Company and Mortar Platoon tables needed to 'complete' the Battalion itself.

I don't think the Mortar Platoon had even changed, though there were some amendments to HQ Company personnel. Probably nothing more exciting than adding a couple of field cooks to feed the extra mouths of the Assault Platoon!
Old 27 Dec 08, 01:47
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
57 men for 4 mortars? That seems like an awful lot of tail for 4 tubes. Does that include F.O.s? How many?

"There is no Ebola Train wreck."- Combat Engineer.
Sponsored Links

Old 27 Dec 08, 10:16
Corporal
UK

The Marine Mortar and Machine Gun Platoons were pretty 'beefy' compared to their Army equivalents -

Platoon HQ, 2 officers and 6 men
Two Section HQs, each 11 men
Four Mortar Squads, each 7 men

Total 2 officers and 56 men.

Platoon HQ included a wire chief, 2 messengers and a telephone operator, plus the gunnery sergeant and an ammo sergeant.

Each Section HQ had a sergeant leader, a sergeant observer, and three telephone and/or telegraph operators, plus 5 ammo numbers, and under the 'E' and 'F' series orgs a driver with Jeep and trailer.

Each Squad had a corporal, gunner, assistant and four ammo numbers, with just two handcarts for transport. I don't think the 'G' Series was any different, but I don't have the table so I can't be sure, still the same overall strength.

The 1941-42 'D' Series had a 74 man Mortar Platoon, still for four 81-mm tubes. 74 men, that's very nearly a Company in some armies!
Old 27 Dec 08, 16:15
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Gary... if you have not already used it, this web site may be of some help.

http://www.militaryresearch.org/

The page specific to your question is:

http://www.militaryresearch.org/marine_table_notes.htm
Old 27 Dec 08, 21:15
Corporal
UK

Thanks Carl, I saw that page way back, and it did help me with my query to Quantico.

Unfortunately, the firm doesn't take orders from outside of the USA, so being in the UK puts me on the 'banned list', so to speak. And they didn't reply to my email asking where they got their copies from either...
Old 28 Dec 08, 03:19
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Damm you are cruely treated. Shall I order for you? Email me if the Quantico contact is unavailable.
Old 28 Dec 08, 13:43
Major General
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kennedy View Post
Thanks Carl, I saw that page way back, and it did help me with my query to Quantico.

Unfortunately, the firm doesn't take orders from outside of the USA, so being in the UK puts me on the 'banned list', so to speak. And they didn't reply to my email asking where they got their copies from either...
gary contact gordon rottman
via the email i gave you see if he can help ..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!