HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > Armchair Attacks! > SPQR

Notices and Announcements

SPQR Here you will find all aspects of Warfare Through The Ages epic game of Roman intrigue, conquest & spectacular dialog.

View Poll Results: Trade is low...what should be done?
Build more ships to strengthen the trade by sea and build new harbours… 4 25.00%
Make better trade relationships with Parthians once the war is over… 1 6.25%
Conquer Saoudi Arabia in order to trade with India... 2 12.50%
Find better trade routes in the east and build roads… 9 56.25%
Build a temple to Mercury, the God of Commerce and hope that things will go better… 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 Dec 08, 18:23
General of the Forums
Wales
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
It seems like we should watch on Germanic tribes. Or could it be something else?
You may be right. I've had news that those damned Caledonians are preparing to have the indecency of defending their own country against the enlightenment of a civilised invader. How dare they! And if they win we'll pretend the lost legion was actually somewhere else. A clerical error perhaps.
Old 29 Dec 08, 23:03
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allsirgarnet View Post
Letter to Senator Torienus

Sir

I greatly appreciate the time you have sent in considering my proposals regading the Parthian War, especially as by personal experience I understand how great a strain senatorial duties can be. I would however divert you to the following in purely military terms.

It seems likely from the other comments made to me, both in public and in private, that the Parthian war is moving towards a successful and strategically vital phase. In this light I would pose the following question in that should a complete military victory be likely would it in military, economic and political terms be desirable? The context of my question is the likely huge expansion of our eastern provinces and the possible problems this might pose in the near or distant future.

Those learned citizens who take a keen interest in the East, know full well that Parthia, for all the continuing problems she poses to us, also acts as a buffer or protection against possibly greater dangers to the east. I would advert you as an example to our situation in Gaul and Germania, where the overall cost of conquering the latter would seem to far outwiegh any benefits we might acrue in later times. This should teach us that there are times when further expansion, beyond just the influence of our power and into the occupation of very distant lands, should be avoided if at all possible.

With regard to Parthia, although a total military victory seems possible, I believe a negotiate peace from a position of strength would benefit Rome in both the short and long terms. I fully agree that negotiating with Parthia causes many problems and that they are in the main untrustworthy, but the alternative of a vast eastward expansion of our lands without careful regard to the consequences seems in my opinion to pose just as many problems as those of a negotiated peace.

Perhaps an alternative course would be to pursue a duel course of military and political pressure, via victories in the field and subtle but firm negotiations, with the aim to replace the leadership of Parthia with one more acceptable to our strategic aims. A preferable situation would be Parthia as a client state, available as an independant trading partner and having to support its own military, which of course would be available to us at need. Should we then desire to expand our influence and power further east to the Indus and beyond, Parthia would then be a firm base to do so while still providing a buffer zone protecting our core eastern provinces.

I would enquire directly what political resources to we presently have to attempt such a strategy and what influence if any do we presently have in the Parthian political strata. When these question has been quantified and answered, then perhaps a viable strategy may be pursued.

I remain the Senates most humble and loyal servant.

Marcus Severus Aurelius
To Citizen Marcus Severus Aurelius,

Thank you again for your advice on these events. I will take your words to the Senate in quorum and present your advice with my support. I believe we are of one mind in this crisis.

If the Gods will continue to Bless our Legions, we will soon be celebrating Victory Over Parthia!

Senator Torienus
Old 30 Dec 08, 12:31
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign SPQR Campaign 

Commodore_1812 is on the path to success [1-99] Commodore_1812 is on the path to success [1-99] Commodore_1812 is on the path to success [1-99] Commodore_1812 is on the path to success [1-99] Commodore_1812 is on the path to success [1-99] Commodore_1812 is on the path to success [1-99]
If Rome does not end it's corruption and vile acts against it's own people, many calamities will come upon Rome! The sun will seem like fire, the fields which yesterday were fertile, will become barren, and the waters will be contaminated! Pestilence and Plague will sweep the land! Barbarians will tear down the very walls of Rome and the senate will be turned to ash! Heed my words for the end of Rome will come! Your only salvation is to abandon you foolish ways and return to the way it was!

The path you follow leads only to your destruction!
Old 01 Jan 09, 03:51
ACG Forums - General Staff
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign SPQR Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_1812 View Post
If Rome does not end it's corruption and vile acts against it's own people, many calamities will come upon Rome! The sun will seem like fire, the fields which yesterday were fertile, will become barren, and the waters will be contaminated! Pestilence and Plague will sweep the land! Barbarians will tear down the very walls of Rome and the senate will be turned to ash! Heed my words for the end of Rome will come! Your only salvation is to abandon you foolish ways and return to the way it was!

The path you follow leads only to your destruction!
Who's corrupt, who's vile?

- General Rubinus
Old 01 Jan 09, 07:37
General
UK
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700]
allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Can someone please post the present system (including relevant personages) of the 'government' and 'social classes', plus if they have time the current extent of Rome, in terms of provinces, alliances and enemies please.

Thanks

Gaz
Sponsored Links

Old 01 Jan 09, 09:33
General of the Forums
Wales
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I, Bardas Phocas, favourite of Armenia, and ally of Rome secondus the motion.

With the festivals of Saturnalia and Mithras I feel maybe a bit too much Vino Collapsus has entered my system.
Old 02 Jan 09, 17:28
General of the Forums
EU
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
1st of July 82 A.D.

Gameturn 6 B has now officially started !!!!

The Parthian army will now make it's moves.

I will need the Roman movements on my desk within three days from now
and no, BUTS or IF'S !!!

It will end at noon on tuesday the 6th of january L.A. time, 8 PM London time and 9 PM Brussels time !!!!

Greets,
FATE

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG
Old 02 Jan 09, 17:45
Private
United_States

Knight Templar is on the path to success [1-99]
Im confused as to what this is? like Risk, but more?
Napoleon Bonaparte
Old 02 Jan 09, 19:41
Sergeant Major
Croatia
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 SPQR Campaign 

delboy is on the path to success [1-99] delboy is on the path to success [1-99] delboy is on the path to success [1-99] delboy is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Templar View Post
Im confused as to what this is? like Risk, but more?
The military thingy is just a small part of it(we are currently in war with Parthia). The whole game is much more. We recreate Roman community so you can find here Roman people, Senators and Emperor(the one who you have to suck in). For further rules read this thread:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=66481
Old 02 Jan 09, 19:55
ACG Forums - Legatus Janitorus
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 
SPQR Campaign 

Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Urgent dispatch from eastern extremities...

Hey hey hey...

Generals Drusus, Paulus, Rubinus, etc...

Lookie...

We must be chopped liver!

Scipius
General of Rome
Commander of Cavalry
Legio XX, Legio IV

ACG History Today

BoRG
Old 02 Jan 09, 20:20
General of the Forums
EU
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
Hey hey hey...

Generals Drusus, Paulus, Rubinus, etc...

Lookie...

We must be chopped liver!

Scipius
General of Rome
Commander of Cavalry
Legio XX, Legio IV

Why????

Greets,
FATE

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG
Old 02 Jan 09, 20:22
General of the Forums
Wales
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
........and Emperor(the one who you have to suck in).........................
er.........suck up to .
Old 02 Jan 09, 21:18
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive SPQR Campaign 

Patton 7079 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patton 7079 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patton 7079 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patton 7079 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patton 7079 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patton 7079 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patton 7079 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patton 7079 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patton 7079 has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I prefer If you suck up to me first
Gaius Marius,
Captain of the Praetorian Guard
General Felix Legion
Old 02 Jan 09, 21:24
ACG Forums - Legatus Janitorus
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 
SPQR Campaign 

Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
HAR...

Nah... you're chopped liver, too!

ACG History Today

BoRG
Old 02 Jan 09, 21:46
Sergeant Major
Croatia
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 SPQR Campaign 

delboy is on the path to success [1-99] delboy is on the path to success [1-99] delboy is on the path to success [1-99] delboy is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
er.........suck up to .
Damn! I knew I screwed something.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!