StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > MMO Games

Notices and Announcements

MMO Games Players can discuss their online experiences with Massively Multiplayer Online games here!

Old 15 Dec 08, 11:54
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99] BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99] BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99] BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99] BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99] BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99]
EvE Online, one of the best MMORPGs

IMHO, EvE Online is one of the best MMORPG's out there. One single international server populated by about 250000 people and counting, in a rich, diverse, spacefaring game. Massive, epic fleet battles occur in lawless space of over 1000 participants happen on occasion, and even populate the server so much that nodes have been known to crash due to the masses. A complex, diverse universe with economics, history, politics, trade, and perpetual war, this game has been going strong since 2003 and has gained numerous awards. Communities of role players band together to create a wonderful multiplayer experience. Huge alliances, corporations of pirates, traders, and navies roam EvE, its hard to get bored.

For your viewing pleasure:

http://www.xfire.com/video/4e536/

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43299.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35321.html

Keep in mind that yes, the majority of the graphics are just as they are in the trailers, some actions however, have been dramatized (there is no crashing in EvE).

And a nice holiday season contest open to everyone in EvE.

http://www.xfire.com/cms/xf_eve/

If interested please reply to this post. The trial is free, and has now been extended from 14 days to 21. Try it out, and see if its the MMORPG you're looking for. If it is, please refer me as your buddy in the buddy program.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 15 Dec 08, 13:17
Recruit
England

jc1960 is a balanced individual [0]
link

thanks for the link new to all this so we will see how it goes!
Old 15 Dec 08, 18:49
Colonel
Estonia
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100]
it really is the biggest sandbox game out there
Old 15 Dec 08, 23:58
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200]
I found it extremely confusing and difficult when i tried the trial. it does seem to be very interesting and if i understood it better i think it woud be one of the best MMORPGs. But i guess ill stick with WoW
Old 16 Dec 08, 06:59
Colonel
Estonia
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 

String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay217 View Post
I found it extremely confusing and difficult when i tried the trial. it does seem to be very interesting and if i understood it better i think it woud be one of the best MMORPGs. But i guess ill stick with WoW
Did you do the tutorial?

If you didn't, or even if you did, try it again, afaik they improved it in the last expansion. And regardless, this is the game where you HAVE to do the tutorial.
Old 16 Dec 08, 08:18
Colonel
Estonia

Here's a nice pic of the scale of eve ships

Note the eiffel tower in the lower left corner for scale.
Old 16 Dec 08, 11:54
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 

Jim H. Moreno has disabled reputation
I have to second that comment about the tutorial. This is NOT one of those where you wanna just jump in and start playing. It is imperative you play fully through the tutorial! But there is indeed a rich and deep elegance here that no other MMORPG on the market today can match.
Old 16 Dec 08, 13:22
ACG Forums - General Staff
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H. Moreno View Post
I have to second that comment about the tutorial. This is NOT one of those where you wanna just jump in and start playing. It is imperative you play fully through the tutorial! But there is indeed a rich and deep elegance here that no other MMORPG on the market today can match.
Just too add Balance to the discussion

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...208-Eve-Online
(Warning the odd naughty word ahead)

I do have a copy of Eve, However I brought it before I realised you have to subscribe. At which point I lost all interest.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 16 Dec 08, 15:55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99] BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99] BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99] BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99] BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99] BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99]
I thought that all MMORPG's carried a mandatory monthly subscription fee. Either way, that review is pretty funny. As true as it is, I thought the majority of MMORPG's had the same problems. EvE on the other hand, almost requires a community to make it interesting. And yes, the complexity is astounding, but rewarding. I don't know any other MMORPG in which you can forge an empire, hold territory, and ruthlessly invade other actual people's territory. The persistence of the server is also unique, whatever structure you build will stay until it is destroyed or taken down, I don't think anyother MMORPG can boast that.

Last edited by BKnight3; 16 Dec 08 at 15:58..
Old 16 Dec 08, 17:18
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Some examples of EvE wars

Here are some youtube videos of some EvE wars, showcasing the everlasting chaos and political mayhem in the lawless areas of EvE.

The Great Northern War of 2004:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olT05ozGayQ

A more recent conflict, with much better footage (probably not from the conflict itself though):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYEaP...eature=related

A good recruitment video (involving BoB) which show in game video of how big a "blob" can get (the colored dots show IFF), and destroying an enemy spacestation (which you can create):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMB2Hi_PF_Y

No NPC's were involved in these wars, with about a thousand particpants or more mobilized from around the world in each conflict.
Sponsored Links

Old 17 Dec 08, 02:00
ACG Forums - General Staff
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKnight3 View Post
I thought that all MMORPG's carried a mandatory monthly subscription fee.
Neverwinter nights didn't.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 17 Dec 08, 03:11
Colonel
Estonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listy View Post
Neverwinter nights didn't.
However it's out of production now, isn't it?

Anyway, the ship sizes chart was updated today with measurements, have fun.

edit: btw, if it's the original retail version with the original box and manual still intact you might be able to sell it for novelty value.

secondedit: You really need to view those movies in high-res to do them justice, they have the links to download in their description.

The second video is especially nice and has a bit of a backstory. The basics are that BoB (Band of Brothers) alliance, one of the greatest and most powerful in game, had been beaten back into its home region after a year of war by a massive coalition. MC (mercenary coalition), the author of this movie and one of the most elite fighting forces in the galaxy, was a long time loyal friend and contractor of BoB, and as many others, was viewing BoB as a sinking ship at that point and decided to split and take some of BoB's old space for its own with an assortment of other mercenary alliances and name it Tortuga. Big mistake. Their split (or betrayal if you prefer it) gave a renewed sense of purpose for BoB and was spinned endlessly for their members as propaganda. The end result, BoB survived, the coalition crumbled and MC lost Tortuga and disbanded.

All this was purely player vs. player interaction, invlolving thousands upon thousands of players and spanning many months. And this is why many love EvE. It has more drama than your average mexican soap opera

Last edited by String; 17 Dec 08 at 03:33..
Old 17 Dec 08, 10:50
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 

Jim H. Moreno has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKnight3 View Post
I thought that all MMORPG's carried a mandatory monthly subscription fee.
I don't have actual numbers on hand for confirmation, but I do believe there are just as many if not more free ones as pay-to-play ones. Many have a combination of both. Anarchy Online does this, offering it's base game and a couple of expansions for free, but if you want the latest and most up-to-date content expansions, you'll have to subscribe and pay. I've been playing AO for about three years now, for free, and probably have just as much fun with it as those who are paying.
Old 17 Dec 08, 11:42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by String View Post
All this was purely player vs. player interaction, invlolving thousands upon thousands of players and spanning many months. And this is why many love EvE. It has more drama than your average mexican soap opera
This is why I started posting about EvE in this forum, we have so much command talent around here. EvE is a wonderful training medium in some ways.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!