StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Military History on Film

Notices and Announcements

Military History on Film Newsreel and documentary film on the Second World War and other military conflicts. This is also the request and discussion forum for skoblin's website.

Old 24 Dec 08, 00:04
Second Lieutenant
France

olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99] olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99] olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99] olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99] olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99] olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99]
Setif VE Day

That would be interesting to have the Arab point of view of Setif. Al jazeera has been fairly even-handed in its coverages. Obviously, it covers the other side more; but is not uncritical of Arab excesses. Alistair Horne confirms that there were rapes and mutilations of those Europeans killed (including a Communist "pied noir" local politician trying to calm the insurgents), and that the French Army armed German and Italian PoWs. There are at least two French docs on Setif; but they are hard to find. Even less easy to locate is anything associated with the Thai-Vichy war (I would say it's impossible...)
Old 24 Dec 08, 00:09
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivenstein View Post
That would be interesting to have the Arab point of view of Setif. Al jazeera has been fairly even-handed in its coverages. Obviously, it covers the other side more; but is not uncritical of Arab excesses. Alistair Horne confirms that there were rapes and mutilations of those Europeans killed (including a Communist "pied noir" local politician trying to calm the insurgents), and that the French Army armed German and Italian PoWs. There are at least two French docs on Setif; but they are hard to find. Even less easy to locate is anything associated with the Thai-Vichy war (I would say it's impossible...)
Thai-Vichy....I may have a newsreel or two.....

Do you know the name of the French docs on Setif, Laurent? I may be able to find them if I have the name.

As for the Al-Jazeera vid...it may be in Arabic.....

Old 24 Dec 08, 03:58
Second Lieutenant
France

olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99] olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99] olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99] olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99] olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99] olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99]
I just found one, a 2008 documentary, very complete and detailed, and even-handed: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...w&q=setif+1945

It would take a while to translate. The other is a small segment of an 1970s French documentary on the Algerian War of Independence. It is post May '68 so it has a very New Left righteousness in it's commentary. I still have to locate the title.
Old 26 Dec 08, 16:40
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivenstein View Post
I just found one, a 2008 documentary, very complete and detailed, and even-handed.

It would take a while to translate. The other is a small segment of an 1970s French documentary on the Algerian War of Independence. It is post May '68 so it has a very New Left righteousness in it's commentary. I still have to locate the title.
Don't worry about the translation, Laurent. We'll wait to see what the Al-Jazeera one looks like.

Old 06 Jan 09, 17:20
General of the Forums
Wales
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Hail Skoblin

Any film on current tensions between India and China! My father, who has recently come back from Eastern India says the next war could be over water in that area!
Sponsored Links

Old 07 Jan 09, 23:49
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 SPQR Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
skoblin, I recently saw footage of the Warsaw Uprising and was curious if you had any newsreels yourself?

First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure. - Mark Twain.
Old 08 Jan 09, 03:09
Pirate

How did you know I was thinking about the Mörser Karl the other day? I think I have three clips of the Uprising, including one with a Karl in action renovating downtown Warsaw.

Old 08 Jan 09, 03:41
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 SPQR Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoblin View Post
How did you know I was thinking about the Mörser Karl the other day? I think I have three clips of the Uprising, including one with a Karl in action renovating downtown Warsaw.
Good timing eh! I just started a thread about captured German vehicles during this uprising.
I look forward to when you post them, when your ready of course.

First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure. - Mark Twain.
Old 22 Jan 09, 13:02
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung baby View Post
Good timing eh! I just started a thread about captured German vehicles during this uprising.
I look forward to when you post them, when your ready of course.
4 videos posted and thread made.....next, anyone?

Old 10 Feb 09, 18:22
Second Lieutenant
France

Hama, Syria, February 1982

Next? Well, I still feel greedy but, ummm, the Hama Massacre 1982? (Impossible to find on video.google.com)
Old 20 Feb 09, 19:59
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Lord Haw-Haw

Skoblin, any radio/film broadcast of Lord Haw-Haw in your vast library? I've never actually heard the man and was wondering if you could help out. I've read about him and my uncles who heard him during the war said he was a hoot to listen to.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 20 Feb 09, 20:47
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Evans View Post
Skoblin, any radio/film broadcast of Lord Haw-Haw in your vast library? I've never actually heard the man and was wondering if you could help out. I've read about him and my uncles who heard him during the war said he was a hoot to listen to.

Thanks,

Bob
Good old William Joyce....I'll poke around and see what I can find, Bob....but may be tough...I might have a non-video radio broadcast though.

skob

Looks like one or two...but I'll have to figure out how to post it.

skob

Last edited by Skoblin; 20 Feb 09 at 20:52..
Old 20 Feb 09, 23:18
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoblin View Post
Good old William Joyce....I'll poke around and see what I can find, Bob....but may be tough...I might have a non-video radio broadcast though.

skob

Looks like one or two...but I'll have to figure out how to post it.

skob
Thanks! Let me know if you figure it out. I'd help, but I suck at that kind of thing.
Old 02 Mar 09, 20:02
General of the Forums
United_States

Question A Question

Skoblin, I figured I'd post this here again, I originally posted it in the Italian Army in Russia thread. I'm wondering who made it, because your signature is not on it and also where the music came from. I really like the background music if not the message that the video might be trying to convey.

Any clues on who made this?

Old 02 Mar 09, 20:19
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Evans View Post
Skoblin, I figured I'd post this here again, I originally posted it in the Italian Army in Russia thread. I'm wondering who made it, because your signature is not on it and also where the music came from. I really like the background music if not the message that the video might be trying to convey.

Any clues on who made this?
Hi Bob. No clue who made this, but there are a lot of these types of videos on Youtube that appear then disappear and then appear on someone else's Youtube site. Basically, excerpts of Giornale Luce, some taken from Italian TV (Rai Tre) and others probably from DVD or from the net. Never heard the music though.

Here's a compendium video I made with new music as well.

Last edited by Skoblin; 02 Mar 09 at 20:28..
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!