StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Military History on Film

Notices and Announcements

Military History on Film Newsreel and documentary film on the Second World War and other military conflicts. This is also the request and discussion forum for skoblin's website.

Old 09 Dec 08, 18:36
General of the Forums
Wales
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
If you have I look forward to it, and filming in Iceland with you and Torien. Did you know you can canoe under Iceland?
Old 11 Dec 08, 12:56
General of the Forums
Wales
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Do you have anything on the Belgian resistance, as my wifes grandparents were involved?
Old 11 Dec 08, 13:32
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Pirate
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
Do you have anything on the Belgian resistance, as my wifes grandparents were involved?
I'm getting a backlog with you Nick, Goodwood and Polar bears

Belgian resistance. Very unlikely. Only two newsreel series would have covered that - Deutsche Wochenschau and the Vichy Actualites Mondiales/France Actualites. If there is anything, it would be shown from the the side of the Nazi authorities. This would take a long time to find. But I will keep my eyes open for something if I stumble upon it.

Old 11 Dec 08, 18:12
General of the Forums
Wales
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoblin View Post
I'm getting a backlog with you Nick, Goodwood and Polar bears

Belgian resistance. Very unlikely. Only two newsreel series would have covered that - Deutsche Wochenschau and the Vichy Actualites Mondiales/France Actualites. If there is anything, it would be shown from the the side of the Nazi authorities. This would take a long time to find. But I will keep my eyes open for something if I stumble upon it.
Thats all I can ask for mate . Thank you for everything so far . Very enlightening, especially some stuff I've generally ignored in the past .
Old 16 Dec 08, 06:25
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 SPQR Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Question

skoblin, I was thinking today how I have seen a bit of wartime footage of the T-34, but I don't seem to recall watching any footage that showed the IS-2 tank while in service during WW2. Do you have any footage of this tank in your collection?

First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure. - Mark Twain.
Old 18 Dec 08, 06:05
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Skoblin,

I've been thinking of the Med. Theater of operations alot recently. Do you have any footage of the German attack on Crete and on Greece?

Thanks,
Legate
Old 18 Dec 08, 11:58
Pirate
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate View Post
Skoblin,

I've been thinking of the Med. Theater of operations alot recently. Do you have any footage of the German attack on Crete and on Greece?

Thanks,
Legate
I have a wartime newsreel/documentary produced by the German government in 1943 - about 20 minutes longs, but damaged during the war so not in the clearest visual definition, plus a couple standard Wochenschau reports. May also have an Italian one of the capture of some of the smaller islands by Italian troops. I'll start a new thread on the Greco-Italian war and then extend it to include the German invasion of Yugoslavia and Greece. I have a special Wochenschau edition on the German defeat of Yugoslavia in very good condition.

Old 19 Dec 08, 00:09
Second Lieutenant
France

olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99] olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99] olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99] olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99] olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99] olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99]
Personally, I'd like to see more British/Commonwealth sources: Yemen and Aden 1960s (David Smiley on BBC television 1966), Cyprus 1950s vs Greek terrorists, Malayan Emergency, WWII (Operation Exporter, Vichy Syria 1941, Free Polish Squadron in Battle of Britain, plus SOE raids, Baker St Irregular successes), Palestine Arab Revolt 1936, and Irgun & Stern Gang Outrages 1946-1948, Suez, and Korea certainly. Also Spanish Civil War related, such as Franco's film Raza 1941 or Republican Spaniards in the Soviet Union (e.g.: General Lister Leningrad's defence).

But that's a tall order!

What about you, Skoblin--are there newsreels, film or radio addresses that you yourself are trying to track down?
Old 19 Dec 08, 00:17
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivenstein View Post
Personally, I'd like to see more British/Commonwealth sources: Yemen and Aden 1960s (David Smiley on BBC television 1966), Cyprus 1950s vs Greek terrorists, Malayan Emergency, WWII (Operation Exporter, Vichy Syria 1941, Free Polish Squadron in Battle of Britain, plus SOE raids, Baker St Irregular successes), Palestine Arab Revolt 1936, and Irgun & Stern Gang Outrages 1946-1948, Suez, and Korea certainly. Also Spanish Civil War related, such as Franco's film Raza 1941 or Republican Spaniards in the Soviet Union (e.g.: General Lister Leningrad's defence).

But that's a tall order!

What about you, Skoblin--are there newsreels, film or radio addresses that you yourself are trying to track down?

That's a wide number of subjects, mon ami. I was going to start one thread on Algeria vs the French government, but I could also start one on the troubles in the commonwealth during decolonisation. A Korean war thread is also possible. Spanish Civil War, there is not alot available....but I'll check.

I'm still trying to track down Soviet newsreels. I have about 50 but they are extremely difficult to get a hold of. I have redux versions of the Spanish newsreel series during WWII, but still looking for the originals.

cheers
skoblin

Old 19 Dec 08, 01:06
Second Lieutenant
France

olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99] olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99] olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99] olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99] olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99] olivenstein is on the path to success [1-99]
And please Santa Claus...I wanna newsreel or this and that....and I wanna, wanna, wanna...don't what sort of smiley one ought to place here (no relation to Major David Smiley MVO, OBE, MC, Royal Horse Guards)
Sponsored Links

Old 19 Dec 08, 01:14
Second Lieutenant
France

Is it the current Moscow administration that is making it difficult for any sort informational material to leave Russia or is it the different format (PAL SECAM vs NTSC...or do Russian dvds have another completely different format?) You don't want any of your history buffs from Russia to disapear to Sibera!

I'll translate those Indo-China newsreels as soon as I'm finished my practical exams this week.

Oh sorry, one last wish, Santa: Setif, Algeria, 1945

Merry Christmas,

Laurent
Old 19 Dec 08, 01:27
Pirate

Quote:
Is it the current Moscow administration that is making it difficult for any sort informational material to leave Russia or is it the different format (PAL SECAM vs NTSC...or do Russian dvds have another completely different format?) You don't want any of your history buffs from Russia to disapear to Sibera!

I'll translate those Indo-China newsreels as soon as I'm finished my practical exams this week.

Merry Christmas,

Laurent
The videos exist - in fact, the Russian archives have numerous newsreels. The problem is a combination of red (the non-Bolshevik type) tape and exorbitant costs. Plus, the online communication apparatus is almost non-existent.

Nothing on Setif in 1945. Not surprised that the French would wish to publicize this at the time.

Good luck on your exams, Laurent.

Old 23 Dec 08, 13:45
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Thumbs up Great New Forum

Congrats, Skoblin on this forum! I'll be spending some time here in the future. Any chance on expanding to the Pacific Theater of WW2. I haven't seen much on that here. Or are you just concentrating on the European/Med Theaters?
Old 23 Dec 08, 13:54
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Evans View Post
Congrats, Skoblin on this forum! I'll be spending some time here in the future. Any chance on expanding to the Pacific Theater of WW2. I haven't seen much on that here. Or are you just concentrating on the European/Med Theaters?
Hi Evans. Thanks for the comments. And yes, I will expand to the Pacific theater in the New Year. Taking a short break over Christmas. Will also be setting up threads on Italy, Yugoslavia/Greece, Battle of the Bulge, Air campaign over Germany, Weapons of war and Aircraft. May also start a thread on US navy ships.

cheers
skoblin

Old 23 Dec 08, 13:56
Pirate

Quote:

Merry Christmas,

Laurent
Laurent,

I am trying to track down a TV documentary by Al Jazeera on Algeria, May 8, 1945, which would be Setif if I am not mistaken.

cheers,
skoblin

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!