StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Film, DVD, and TV

Notices and Announcements

Film, DVD, and TV Discuss the latest movies at the theatre and on DVD, as well as what is on TV. ACG film reviews will also be found here.

Old 27 Dec 08, 15:20
Private First Class
United_States

USS Wyoming is on the path to success [1-99]
Saw Australia yesterday. The story occassionally narrated by the boy in the film was probably the best technical decision. Way too much CGI for scenery and the various storylines had me thinking it was at its conclusion more than once.
I got home and Lawrence of Arabia was on TV in widescreen. The best panoramic scenery shots of any film and no CGI and it simply reinforced my thoughts that modern directors are out of ideas and don't want to leave the studio.
Old 27 Dec 08, 23:32
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torien View Post
Wife made me watch Mamma Mia! , it wasn't completely horrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
Oh come one! It was good and made you smile!

I watched I Am Legend tonight. It was good!
I know. I'm still singing Dancing Queen in my head 24 hours later!
Old 28 Dec 08, 22:03
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99]
Old 28 Dec 08, 22:34
General of the Forums
Singapore
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torien View Post
Wife made me watch Mamma Mia! , it wasn't completely horrible.
The things we suffer for our wives!
Old 28 Dec 08, 23:32
First Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hufflepuff44 is on the path to success [1-99] Hufflepuff44 is on the path to success [1-99] Hufflepuff44 is on the path to success [1-99]
"Traitor" with Don Cheatle. Really Good.
Old 28 Dec 08, 23:41
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign SPQR Campaign 

Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hufflepuff44 View Post

"Traitor" with Don Cheatle. Really Good.
It's Cheadle...,

And he's one damn fine actor. In Colors he was great as a gangbanger leader, in The Rat Pack he killed as Sammy Davis Jr., and in Traffic he stole the scene every time he was on. And that's just a taste of his talent.

He should play Obama, but the part is already going to Will Smith...
"This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG
Old 29 Dec 08, 00:56
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate View Post
Just saw these three this week;

The Day the Earth stood still-garbage,don't waste your time
Stepbrothers-not as good as Talledega Nights,but it is a fun one.
The Mummy 3(4?)-not a bad film,great action and is a worthy sequel.
My wife and I were on holidays last month, and the people we stayed with wanted us to watch Stepbrothers with them, I was glad to see the credits... hardly laughed during the film.

First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure. - Mark Twain.
Old 29 Dec 08, 02:48
Banned
New_Zealand

apteryx is on the path to success [1-99] apteryx is on the path to success [1-99] apteryx is on the path to success [1-99]
Dreams - an Akira Kurosawa movie. 8 stories in one - I found the first creepy (and enjoyable), the second passable and the rest forgetable. I once met a Japanese ophthalmologist who said she didn't understand Kurosawa. Maybe I don't either. Still, in a weird way - worth the watch.
Old 29 Dec 08, 13:07
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I watched one yesterday with the wife and granddaughter. It hi lite Australian Dentistry.

Title

Looking for Nemo

HP

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 29 Dec 08, 23:33
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apteryx View Post
Dreams - an Akira Kurosawa movie. 8 stories in one - I found the first creepy (and enjoyable), the second passable and the rest forgetable. I once met a Japanese ophthalmologist who said she didn't understand Kurosawa. Maybe I don't either. Still, in a weird way - worth the watch.
But wasn't it beautiful?

Old 30 Dec 08, 18:13
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I watched a DVD of 'The Abyss, the directors cut' it made more sense than the original version I saw years ago. I find it a fascinating film, and rarely a dull moment. They capture the depth of the trench wonderfully.

First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure. - Mark Twain.
Old 30 Dec 08, 21:07
General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 

kentek is a jewel in the rough [500]
kentek is a jewel in the rough [500] kentek is a jewel in the rough [500] kentek is a jewel in the rough [500] kentek is a jewel in the rough [500] kentek is a jewel in the rough [500] kentek is a jewel in the rough [500] kentek is a jewel in the rough [500] kentek is a jewel in the rough [500]
The Mummy 3 - Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
Traitor
Chronicles of Narnia - Prince Caspian

Mummy was good mindless fun. Loved it when the yeti made an extra point with a Chinese soldier.

Traitor was as good as I expected, with Don Cheadle and a strong supporting cast.

Caspian was a bit disappointing, not as good as the first one, I felt.
Old 30 Dec 08, 23:24
First Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

steve park is on the path to success [1-99] steve park is on the path to success [1-99] steve park is on the path to success [1-99] steve park is on the path to success [1-99]
"There Will Be Blood" - (dvd) I don't have to worry about wanting to see it again. I think the guy may have been a relative of Dick Cheney.
Old 30 Dec 08, 23:39
General of the Forums - Donut Dolly
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]

Old 31 Dec 08, 02:13
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign SPQR Campaign 

Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Talking I drink your milkshake! I driknk it up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve park View Post

"There Will Be Blood" - (dvd) I don't have to worry about wanting to see it again. I think the guy may have been a relative of Dick Cheney.
I really liked There Will Be Blood.

The ending was sweet!
"This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!