StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Film, DVD, and TV

Notices and Announcements

Film, DVD, and TV Discuss the latest movies at the theatre and on DVD, as well as what is on TV. ACG film reviews will also be found here.

Old 25 Mar 18, 11:31
Brigadier General
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Paranormal TV shows

What do ACG members think of TV shows like "Ghost Encounters" and "Paranormal Lockdown" etc?
The only so-called "evidence" seems to be crackles coming out of a "spirit voice recorder" gadget which the team interprets as words, and occasionally a shadowy figure or something is caught on camera which could be a trick of the light.
For example yesterday I watched an episode of "Paranormal Lockdown" set in a disused lunatic asylum and they picked up this lizard/reptile/human thing slithering across the floor on all fours-

Maybe it was a hoax, I don't know, check it out at 1:55 in this vid-

https://youtu.be/8zfHCibSvWs
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 25 Mar 18, 12:34
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Same as I do about the whole "ancient aliens" series...it appeals to a subset of America that believes that kind of stuff, and no one will ever convince them otherwise.

They also see UFO's, believe in deep, dark conspiracies and black helicopters, talk to their dead relatives and believe their horoscopes. Oddly enough, many of them are also religious...Christians out here in this part of things. Go figure.

Old 25 Mar 18, 15:34
Brigadier General
UK

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
Oddly enough, many of them are also religious...Christians out here in this part of things. Go figure.
Like I've said before, ACG needs a Religious Section where we can go to educate ourselves ..
For example Christians don't talk to dead people, so I don't know where you get that idea.
Christians love the truth and are always willing to open-mindedly discuss everything, and if they conclude it's junk they'll say so..
"..no lie comes from the truth" (Bible:1 John 2:21)

Regarding that clip, I'm 90% sure it was faked, because if a real cameraman had seen that shape, he'd have immediately yelled "What's that?" and walked closer to film it. But no, this cameraman stood there quietly at first, possibly because he needed to give the person dressed in lizard costume time to get away.
Old 25 Mar 18, 18:57
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
Like I've said before, ACG needs a Religious Section where we can go to educate ourselves ..
For example Christians don't talk to dead people, so I don't know where you get that idea.
Christians love the truth and are always willing to open-mindedly discuss everything, and if they conclude it's junk they'll say so..
"..no lie comes from the truth" (Bible:1 John 2:21)

Regarding that clip, I'm 90% sure it was faked, because if a real cameraman had seen that shape, he'd have immediately yelled "What's that?" and walked closer to film it. But no, this cameraman stood there quietly at first, possibly because he needed to give the person dressed in lizard costume time to get away.
As I very clearly stated, some of them do out here, especially among the elderly. Since you don't live out here, you are in no position to contradict those of us who do.

Every religion has its whackos and fringe elements, and out here those elements are Christian because Christians are the vast majority of the town. In fact, of the 28 or so churches in Canon City, not a single one is non-Christian.

Meanwhile, anybody who believes that the Ghosthunters and paranormal peepers are seeing and hearing real ghosts believe in communicating with the dead, and that means the above-mentioned Christians, as well as others elsewhere. Ever been around Southern Baptists when they start speaking in tongues?

Come to think of it, you're watching it and you obviously believe it, so...?

Old 25 Mar 18, 19:08
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I watch one now and again for the humor value.

The thing is about 'ghost recorders' is that you can pick up voices from the past: set it right and you'll get bleed-over from TV and radio broadcasts, even from the wireless headphones of fast-food drive-thru operators if you are in an urban setting.

You pick the same stuff up when you are using body mikes.

Then there is the electro-magnet stuff. They like to go into jails, asylums, and places like that, with lots of steel isolated by concrete...
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 25 Mar 18, 21:51
General of the Forums
United_States

Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600]
Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600] Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600] Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600] Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600] Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600] Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600] Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600] Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600] Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600] Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600] Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600]
I used to watch more of them, not because I believed, but some offered a bit of entertainment. Mountain Monsters was my main one for a while, before that, Ghost Hunters. But they eventually became stale and repetitive, so without the absurdness of it, there wasn't much left to keep me interested.

The only one I glance at now is Ghost Brothers because their antics and over-reactions crack me and my wife up on occasion. But that's been a few months now. Myths and Monsters in America might catch my attention from time to time.
Old 26 Mar 18, 02:28
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 SPQR Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
I watch one now and again for the humor value.
As it should be, but reading the rest of your comment suggests otherwise.

Quote:
The thing is about 'ghost recorders' is that you can pick up voices from the past: set it right and you'll get bleed-over from TV and radio broadcasts, even from the wireless headphones of fast-food drive-thru operators if you are in an urban setting.

You pick the same stuff up when you are using body mikes.
Nope, that is simple interference, especially with the amount of devices surrounding us emitting stuff. Lots of voice recorders have these issues, but the really expensive ones operated by experienced professionals know how to eliminate this interference.

Quote:
Then there is the electro-magnet stuff. They like to go into jails, asylums, and places like that, with lots of steel isolated by concrete...
That is pure speculation, from the same shows you watch for the humour value.

First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure. - Mark Twain.
Old 26 Mar 18, 02:32
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 SPQR Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hida Akechi View Post
I used to watch more of them, not because I believed, but some offered a bit of entertainment. Mountain Monsters was my main one for a while, before that, Ghost Hunters. But they eventually became stale and repetitive, so without the absurdness of it, there wasn't much left to keep me interested.

The only one I glance at now is Ghost Brothers because their antics and over-reactions crack me and my wife up on occasion. But that's been a few months now. Myths and Monsters in America might catch my attention from time to time.
Mountain Monsters was a hoot, I enjoyed watching because they were funny and entertaining. They don't take themselves seriously, nor do they care about making up stuff about Bigfoot and other creatures... but after season three I had to stop watching because it was just getting even sillier.

First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure. - Mark Twain.
Old 26 Mar 18, 04:32
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung Baby View Post
As it should be, but reading the rest of your comment suggests otherwise.
Your mind-reading skills have failed you.

Quote:
Nope, that is simple interference, especially with the amount of devices surrounding us emitting stuff. Lots of voice recorders have these issues, but the really expensive ones operated by experienced professionals know how to eliminate this interference.
Unless you are in a ghost show and want to pick up interference.

Are you guessing about the high-priced units, or are you an experienced professional?

Quote:
That is pure speculation, from the same shows you watch for the humour value.
Actually, no, it is not. Look it up for yourself, those devices are not classified. They have several other applications.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 26 Mar 18, 11:19
General of the Forums
United_States

Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600]
Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600] Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600] Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600] Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600] Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600] Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600] Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600] Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600] Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600] Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600] Hida Akechi is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Mountain Monsters was a hoot, I enjoyed watching because they were funny and entertaining. They don't take themselves seriously, nor do they care about making up stuff about Bigfoot and other creatures... but after season three I had to stop watching because it was just getting even sillier.
That "Rogue Team" thing and the "power struggle" to see who should lead the group killed my interest off completely.

Old 26 Mar 18, 12:36
Brigadier General
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
..Every religion has its whackos and fringe elements, and out here those elements are Christian because Christians are the vast majority of the town..
Just because somebody THINKS they're a Christian doesn't mean they ARE! For example I cross the street to avoid some so-called "christians" and they cross the street to avoid me.
Either way, nobody can get under JC's radar, so all we can do is give it our best shot and hope we shape up in his eyes..

Jesus said:-"Not all who call me "Lord,Lord" will enter the kingdom of heaven. Then I'll tell them plainly, I never knew you, get away from me" (Matt 7:21-23)
Old 26 Mar 18, 12:43
Brigadier General
UK

Quote:
..The thing is about 'ghost recorders' is that you can pick up voices from the past: set it right and you'll get bleed-over from TV and radio broadcasts, even from the wireless headphones of fast-food drive-thru operators if you are in an urban setting..
Yeah but what if some of the "voices" are genuinely from lost souls or whatever? For example in ghost shows voices occasionally come through saying "Help me", and I wish the investigators would reply "How can we help you?" to see if they can get a dialogue going.
Maybe the 'entities' want us to say a prayer for them, I dunno.
Old 26 Mar 18, 12:53
Brigadier General
UK

Just to digress, have any ACG members ever had a paranormal experience of any kind?
I had one some years ago when I was about 20 sitting up in my room in the family home when I heard the family come back from a shopping trip in town, I heard their voices and footsteps in the street below my window, I heard the gate unlatch, I heard the key go into the front door lock, and I heard their voices and footsteps spill into the hallway.
I went down to see what goodies they'd bought me from town, but there was nobody there!
Later they came back for real and I asked my mother if they'd been back earlier but she didn't know what I was talking about, so I let it drop.
Afterwards in a paranormal book I discovered the phenomenon is fairly common and even has a name- "False Arrival".
Was I scared? Nah, I feel privileged to have experienced it..
Old 26 Mar 18, 13:01
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
Yeah but what if some of the "voices" are genuinely from lost souls or whatever? For example in ghost shows voices occasionally come through saying "Help me", and I wish the investigators would reply "How can we help you?" to see if they can get a dialogue going.
Maybe the 'entities' want us to say a prayer for them, I dunno.
I sincerely doubt it.
Old 26 Mar 18, 14:57
Brigadier General
UK

Quote:
I sincerely doubt it.
But mate, many cultures believe in a "spirit world", are you saying they're all wrong?
For example google "The Ghost Dance"-
WIKI- "According to the teachings of the Northern Paiute spiritual leader Wovoka, proper practice of the dance would reunite the living with spirits of the dead.."

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!