StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Battlefields and Museums

Notices and Announcements

Battlefields and Museums Visited a battlefield or museum lately? Share your thoughts impressions here.

Old 06 Nov 08, 23:51
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pearl Harbor Memorial/Visitor Center Update

I got this e-mail from the Pearl Harbor Memorial Fund and thought it might interest some of you guys. Here is a link to their website: http://pearlharbormemorial.com/.

Cheers!

Quote:
Groundbreaking!

Groundbreaking on the new Pearl Harbor Memorial Museum and Visitor Center has officially taken place! With Veterans Day just around the corner, the Arizona Memorial Museum Association and its Pearl Harbor Memorial Fund are excited to be one step closer to the completion of the new Pearl Harbor Memorial Museum and Visitor Center. The official groundbreaking ceremony was held yesterday, November 5, 2008, at the current visitor center overlooking the USS Arizona Memorial.

The event attracted a crowd of close to 500 people including State officials, U.S. Navy personnel, representatives of the National Park Service, major supporters, local AMMA members and visitors to the Memorial. Among those in attendance were keynote speaker, Hawaii Senator Daniel Inouye, and guest speakers, Governor of Hawaii Linda Lingle, U.S. Pacific Command RDAM Charles Martoglio, and Regional Director of the National Park Service, Jonathan Jarvis. Using Oo (traditional Hawaiian digging sticks) the first individuals to break ground were a group of Pearl Harbor Survivors who were present at this same location almost 67 years ago. The land and construction process were blessed in a traditional Hawaiian Blessing ceremony by Kahu Kalena Hew Len and Kahu Kamaki Kanahele. For photos of this historic occasion, please click here.

Without the support of faithful contributors to the Pearl Harbor Memorial Fund, this groundbreaking could not have become a reality. We are so grateful for your partnership. While construction for the facility has been fully funded, we have yet to raise enough money to complete the museum exhibits. The new Museum will be outfitted with state-of-the-art exhibits and displays to convey the complete history of the attack on Pearl Harbor and to interact with our visitors in a more personal and meaningful way. Your continued support will allow us to use todays technology to reach current and future generations, so that the lessons of the past are not forgotten. Please clickhere to donate now.

Please continue to look forward to news about the new center, which is scheduled for completion in December 2010. Watts Constructors will construct the facility in multiple phases, providing our visitors with continued access to the Memorial throughout the construction period. The new Pearl Harbor Memorial Museum and Visitor Center will allow us to better recognize and honor our veterans. We hope you take the time this Veterans Day to remember those who have selflessly given of themselves for the freedoms that we share today.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 01 Jan 09, 17:45
Private
United_States

Earl Malizia is on the path to success [1-99]
I first visited Pearl Harbor in 1945 on my way to the Philippine Islands. We were anchored right next to the Arizona for 3 days. I visted there again in 2000. Had a friend on the Arizona who survived. The Nevada was anchored right next to the Arizona and was also hit. My neighbor was killed on the Nevada...Earl...A Veteran of World War II. Pacific Theater
Old 23 Apr 09, 15:42
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

Five O is on the path to success [1-99] Five O is on the path to success [1-99]
I just paid a visit to Pearl Harbor...the campaign is in full swing and if you donate $30, you get a nice shirt with front and rear graphics. I usually visit once or twice a year. Easy for me living here. This time I saw the USS Oklahoma memorial for the first time. I also learned that there is a memorial for the USS Utah which is not open to the public. The Pacific Aviation Museum is also open and they are working on opening the control tower to the public.
Old 24 Apr 09, 01:56
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Thanks for the update Larry. My parents have a time share in Ko'Olina and I have been informed that I have a week there next year some time. Looking very forward to making it back to the Pearl Harbor Memorial to pay respects.

They might not want me. There was a Japanese girl on her cell phone while they were raising colors last time and I told her to get off that blankety blank phone. Her mom turns around and smacks her on the head. Someone lost face.
Old 27 Apr 09, 00:00
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

There is also a small museum/exhibit at Barbers Point...they have a website and it is by appointment only. Some interesting items there. Mostly aircraft but they have a gamma goat, some 2 1/2 tons varinats and other assorted vehicles. Punch Bowl is also worth the visit.
Old 27 Apr 09, 00:06
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

This picture is interesting....there is a Japanese destroyer in the background. This was taken from USS Missouri in 2007.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honolulu, November 2007 031.JPG (22.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 13 Oct 09, 17:27
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

The USS Missouri will be moved into drydock tomorrow for maintenance. Anyone on Oahu will get a nice view of a battleship somewhat in motion as it is moved there. Will take about 3 hours. best viewing is from the USS Bowfin area.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The ugliest of things is that man who thinks nothing is worth fighting and dying for and lets men better and braver than himself protect him". John Stuart Mill
Old 13 Oct 09, 21:38
United_States

Great tip Five O! Wish I could be there to see it!
Old 11 Nov 09, 15:45
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200]
Last visited there in 1989. Raised a flag in honor of my father-in-law
LT. JG USS Passumpsic (Korea) and Merchant Marine (pre-Korea)
and for my father US Army WWII 17AB 1155D AT AA BN. A very moving
experience. There is a deafening stillness there as the flag unfurls and
the smell of the sea abounds. I thought of those Sailors and Marines
on that most fateful of days now so long ago.

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway
Old 04 Dec 09, 14:09
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

The USS Missouri will be leaving drydock soon and returning to its place in Pearl. KHNR is giving away USS Missouri items and also a chance to be on board when it is moved from drydock. You can listen to KHNR online and don't have to be a resident to win. Contest starts monday.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The ugliest of things is that man who thinks nothing is worth fighting and dying for and lets men better and braver than himself protect him". John Stuart Mill
Sponsored Links

Old 21 Jan 10, 01:41
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

January 30th is the official re-dedication of The Mighty Mo'. Kamaaina and military get free admission. She has also been out off of Oahu filming a movie.
Old 21 Jan 10, 19:34
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five O View Post
January 30th is the official re-dedication of The Mighty Mo'. Kamaaina and military get free admission. She has also been out off of Oahu filming a movie.
Do I have to talk with her agent to get an autograph?

No really, that would be something to be on the moving vessel as
she returns to her static display.

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway
Old 04 Mar 10, 01:17
Recruit
United_States

maxcreigs is a balanced individual [0]
I have shown your link.In this link,you have collect very good information about the Pearl Harbor museum.The USS Missouri Memorial Association is a private, non-profit organization. All profits from the museum support the restoration and preservation of the memorial.
Old 05 Jan 16, 23:12
Private
United_States

kcvet is on the path to success [1-99]
we pulled into Pearl for R&R a few times coming back from Nam. including tied up up to Ford island behind the Arizona memorial

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!