HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > First Person Shooters

Notices and Announcements

First Person Shooters For FPS games of all types and for all platforms.

Old 05 Nov 08, 20:57
General of the Forums
Singapore
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
Far Cry 2

I've bought the Far Cry 2 last week, and have been playing it.

My verdict? Underwhelming. Sure, the graphic's good and all, but the game is repetitive and boring.

First, you have to fight your way through numerous checkpoints manned by trigger happy militia as you try to perform the different tasks and missions. I mean, every single time. And on your way back, you have to do it all over again, even if you take the same route and has already cleared all the checkpoints. They'll be manned again, and you have to fight your way through them again.

Second, it's always the same fight. No variation at all. It's the same type of enemy with roughly the same type of weapons, and you deal with them in exactly the same way each time.

Third, every 40 minutes of gameplay time or so, you'll be hit by malaria effects that make you dizzy. It doesn't add anything to the game. It's just an annoyance that you have to deal with again and again.

Fourth, while the environment is 'open-ended', there's only a few practical ways to accomplish a mission, given the layout of the environment immediately around the target area, there's really only a few ways you can do things.

Fifth, stealth is usually out. No point taking silenced weapons. You can only crouch, and you have to go really close to the enemy to ensure a hit. Usually, you will be uncovered very quickly, and you have to shoot it out with them any way. It's not like the first Far Cry when you can leopard crawl in the dense bush up to the enemy before dispatching them. So, really, there's only one way of playing the game - hose them down.

Sixth, while you get to pick and choose missions, the story moved forward linearly. A series of main missions are lined up to move the story forward. You don't get to pick and choose these main missions if you want the story to move forward. If you don't accept the main missions, you're stuck with running minor errands, which would dry up after a while anyway. So much for 'creating your own narrative'.

All in all, not as enjoyable a game as the first Far Cry.

Last edited by Ogukuo72; 05 Nov 08 at 20:59..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 06 Nov 08, 20:13
Banned
New_Zealand

Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100]
[QUOTE=Ogukuo72;1033478]I've bought the Far Cry 2 last week, and have been playing it.

Quote:
My verdict? Underwhelming. Sure, the graphic's good and all, but the game is repetitive and boring.
Agreed, however, I'd say the opposite. The Graphics are poor, quite poor in fact even for a PC port. It's only as repeative as you make it.

Quote:
First, you have to fight your way through numerous checkpoints manned by trigger happy militia as you try to perform the different tasks and missions. I mean, every single time. And on your way back, you have to do it all over again, even if you take the same route and has already cleared all the checkpoints. They'll be manned again, and you have to fight your way through them again.
Nope. There are numerous different routes to approach any given VCP, if you even wanna approach it at all. One thing I found interesting, was that as your character attacks VCP's/ECP's you rep is affected, and differing tactics are approached in an attempt to apprehend/kill you at said check-points.

Quote:
Second, it's always the same fight. No variation at all. It's the same type of enemy with roughly the same type of weapons, and you deal with them in exactly the same way each time.
It's only as linear as you make it, mate. Of course the same can be said of GTA IV, but it's still a great game.

Quote:
Third, every 40 minutes of gameplay time or so, you'll be hit by malaria effects that make you dizzy. It doesn't add anything to the game. It's just an annoyance that you have to deal with again and again.
It's an excellent sense of reality to your character. Especially if you hadn't properly planned ahead.

Quote:
Fourth, while the environment is 'open-ended', there's only a few practical ways to accomplish a mission, given the layout of the environment immediately around the target area, there's really only a few ways you can do things.
Obviously, you need to preform a better reconnaissance of the mission areas.

Quote:
Fifth, stealth is usually out. No point taking silenced weapons. You can only crouch, and you have to go really close to the enemy to ensure a hit. Usually, you will be uncovered very quickly, and you have to shoot it out with them any way. It's not like the first Far Cry when you can leopard crawl in the dense bush up to the enemy before dispatching them. So, really, there's only one way of playing the game - hose them down.
I've been able to preform a number of missions without ever being seen or raising the alarm.

Quote:
Sixth, while you get to pick and choose missions, the story moved forward linearly. A series of main missions are lined up to move the story forward. You don't get to pick and choose these main missions if you want the story to move forward. If you don't accept the main missions, you're stuck with running minor errands, which would dry up after a while anyway. So much for 'creating your own narrative'.
Agreed! The story is wholly lacking. All of the hype the dev's provided surrounded this title was BS.

Quote:
All in all, not as enjoyable a game as the first Far Cry.
It has nothing whatsoever to do with Crytek's previous title. It's still enjoyable all on it's own though.
Old 06 Nov 08, 21:00
General of the Forums
Singapore
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
Looks like you had a better 'immersive' experience than I did.

I must admit that I'm not a very patient person. That's why I never really clicked on the Splinter Cell series. I'm more a run and gun sort of person.

Still, could you share some secrets as to how you managed to sneak around and accomplish missions without firing a shot? I tried a few times, like at the red pump or assassinating the rebel leader, and I just kept getting spotted. Even at night!
Old 08 Nov 08, 00:59
Banned
New_Zealand

Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Sorry matey!

There is a sniper rifle you can pick-up, I'd suggest utilizing it. Also, your character pick at the start has a great deal to do with it.
Old 09 Nov 08, 22:46
General of the Forums
Singapore
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ya. That's what I do now. I choose a sniper rifle - the Dragonov mostly - and pick off the target one by one. I also carry the M249 SAW just in case the enemy drove up to my position.

Now that I've access to the M79 grenade launcher, it's much easier now!
Old 09 Nov 08, 23:12
Banned
New_Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
Ya. That's what I do now. I choose a sniper rifle - the Dragonov mostly - and pick off the target one by one. I also carry the M249 SAW just in case the enemy drove up to my position.

Now that I've access to the M79 grenade launcher, it's much easier now!
Also, if you have the proper "camo gear" available from the gun dealer, you can hide in the tall grass and basically sneak right up on the bad guys, but you do have to remain crouched.
Old 10 Nov 08, 21:41
General of the Forums
Singapore
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hey, thanks for the tip!

When you wrote 'camo gear', I went, what is he talking about. When I got home from work, and played the game, at the first ammo store, I went to the computer and went 'duh!'. There was a whole section of upgrades that I never knew was there!

Now I find sneaking around much easier. With a M79, a Silenced MP5 and dart rifle, and moving only at night, it's much easier to eliminate all those sentries.
Old 16 Dec 08, 20:10
General of the Forums
Singapore
5 Year Service Ribbon 

I'm glad to report that after having changed by graphics card from a GeForce 8400 GS to a Nvidia GeForce 9600, the graphics has REALLY gotten MUCH better, and I'm enjoying the game immensely now.

The graphics of the game really makes a lot of difference.
Old 22 Dec 08, 21:28
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

ace has a spectacular aura about [400]
ace has a spectacular aura about [400] ace has a spectacular aura about [400] ace has a spectacular aura about [400] ace has a spectacular aura about [400]
I just beat it on Xbox 360 and I would have to give it an 8.5 to a 9.0, the story felt rushed and slapped together though it did give you a sense that you were in Africa. The missons gave you the feeling of a merc in Africa playing both sides. I do wish the game would do more on the charecter story as you felt like a simple drone with no story or future, the game's main storyline I felt was done very well with the location, some of the npc's and buddies I felt a connection with and at the endgame i felt betryaed (people who have beaten will get that), though some of the players action towards the npcs I felt like that would never happen like when you get backstabbed in the north by a faction you just go right back working for them again like nothing happend and how there were apparently no civilans there and anybody see thats not a buddy will try to kill you. Even the realism I like in the game with the malaria and the guns jamming I liked as that game a sense of realism to the game along with the healing system if you go under 10% you need to pull bullets,spikes,nail,glass out of you, and set broken bones and then inject some sort of morphine into which I felt was very cool.
"Everything is permitted."
"We work in the dark to serve the light. We are Assassins."
"
Old 22 Dec 08, 23:56
General of the Forums
Singapore
5 Year Service Ribbon 

What's your favourite combo of weapons?

At the moment, I like the M72 Grenade Launcher, the MP5SD and the Dart Rifle (with Grenadier, Assault and Sharpshooter bandoleers).
Sponsored Links

Old 29 Jan 09, 08:02
Private
Powflag

ajmarfoldi is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookaroo View Post
Far Cry 2 graphics are simply unbelievable !!! The faster gameplay i never saw !!! Yes maybe the action is repetitive but i love set fire everywhere Ha ha ha !! Pyrotechnic is simply perfect !!

I'm now a true Far Cry 2 fan. I built a site about Far Cry 2 for share with others : maps , patchs, wallpapers, screensavers and more about my new passion Far Cry 2 !!!!

Enter Far Cry 2 Resources Camp:
http://myfantasyweb.com/farcry2/game.html

My salute to a very cool site that you have built most excellent

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!