StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Russia, Central Asia, and The Caucasus > South Ossetian Conflict

Notices and Announcements

South Ossetian Conflict Discuss the conflict between Georgia and Russia over South Ossetia.

Old 13 Oct 08, 10:39
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Sami
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Franz View Post
development
I would not say that, yes in some areas research is needed.
It also is what you compare to, Western and Russian equipment are in many cases developed after a different doctorine.
The Russians have come a long way in some areas, or they lack counterparts in other armies.

The reactive armor in one area where they have come a long way, countermeasures, anti tank missiles and anti air missiles.
Plans and prototypes exists, but beacause of lack of foundings they will probably not enter producction or be issued to the Army in large numbers, dependig on Russias new military spendings of course.

Now I could give you examples, if you want that is...

A other problem with the Russian army is that most information is in Russian and they have often already got a new desing or prototype ready when you hear about the first one in the west

Quote:
upgrading
As usual it is plans, most tanks has been given reactive armor, fewer protection systems , no clue of how many of the tanks Russia have that has been equiped.

Quote:
manufacturing new and improved equipment
They sell quite a lot of missiles and tanks togheter with other equipment to India.

A note is that I am best(I wouldn´t consider myself good at it) on the ground forces,therefore I am not to good at the Navy or airforce.

Max Sterner

Last edited by Erkki; 13 Oct 08 at 10:42..
Old 15 Oct 08, 15:48
Banned
Russia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by galland View Post
...the simple fact that the Gergian army was armed with UAV, and the Russian had none, speaks volumes...
well, you can't have everything in this world, can you ?..
and let's not presume that UAV play an important role in modern warfare .
Old 15 Oct 08, 15:53
Sami
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Russia does in fact have UAV, not sure if they ware used, a lot is classified

Max Sterner
Old 15 Oct 08, 18:26
General of the Forums
Austria
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign SPQR Campaign 

Kaiser Franz is a jewel in the rough [500]
Kaiser Franz is a jewel in the rough [500] Kaiser Franz is a jewel in the rough [500] Kaiser Franz is a jewel in the rough [500] Kaiser Franz is a jewel in the rough [500] Kaiser Franz is a jewel in the rough [500] Kaiser Franz is a jewel in the rough [500] Kaiser Franz is a jewel in the rough [500] Kaiser Franz is a jewel in the rough [500] Kaiser Franz is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalin View Post
well, you can't have everything in this world, can you ?..
LOL -- sure they don't

As our Supply Sargent once said "If'n you only got one - order one - If'n you got Two - turn one in !! (???)

BoRG
Old 17 Oct 08, 05:46
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
ACG Football Manager of the Season ACG Football Manager of the Season 

Galland is simply cracking [600]
Galland is simply cracking [600] Galland is simply cracking [600] Galland is simply cracking [600] Galland is simply cracking [600] Galland is simply cracking [600] Galland is simply cracking [600] Galland is simply cracking [600] Galland is simply cracking [600] Galland is simply cracking [600] Galland is simply cracking [600] Galland is simply cracking [600]
Question

Quote:
...mmm, prehaps you mean in the context of current Russian strategy, because that is certainly not the case with the west, they are extremely important in the prosecution of current military operations....
Sponsored Links

Old 18 Oct 08, 06:15
Banned
Russia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
... they are extremely important in the prosecution of current military operations...
if that's true, then - it's news to me .
Old 18 Oct 08, 09:21
General of the Forums
Austria

Kaiser Franz is a jewel in the rough [500] Kaiser Franz is a jewel in the rough [500] Kaiser Franz is a jewel in the rough [500] Kaiser Franz is a jewel in the rough [500] Kaiser Franz is a jewel in the rough [500] Kaiser Franz is a jewel in the rough [500] Kaiser Franz is a jewel in the rough [500] Kaiser Franz is a jewel in the rough [500] Kaiser Franz is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Having followed your posts for a while now, I would suggest that there are many things that would fall into that category

As our Supply Sargent once said "If'n you only got one - order one - If'n you got Two - turn one in !! (???)

BoRG
Old 18 Oct 08, 22:45
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
ACG Football Manager of the Season ACG Football Manager of the Season 

Galland is simply cracking [600]
Galland is simply cracking [600] Galland is simply cracking [600] Galland is simply cracking [600] Galland is simply cracking [600] Galland is simply cracking [600] Galland is simply cracking [600] Galland is simply cracking [600] Galland is simply cracking [600] Galland is simply cracking [600] Galland is simply cracking [600] Galland is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
..they are certainly prevelant in the Afghanistan theatre, where they go a long way to making up the shortfall in numbers on the ground. The British recently hastengly introduced a SQN of reaper armed UAVs into service with its troops in Afghanistan.Seems it is easier for politicians to ok unmanned aircraft into theatre , than it is for them to approve more boots on the ground...
Old 18 Oct 08, 22:54
General of the Forums
Austria

Quote:
..they are certainly prevelant in the Afghanistan theatre, where they go a long way to making up the shortfall in numbers on the ground. The British recently hastengly introduced a SQN of reaper armed UAVs into service with its troops in Afghanistan.Seems it is easier for politicians to ok unmanned aircraft into theatre , than it is for them to approve more boots on the ground...
Mothers tend to get teary eyed when their sons go marching off to war -- let's hope the new Squadron can help offset the lack of manpower

BoRG
Old 19 Oct 08, 00:54
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300]
I saw someone ask how long it would take the US to respond of an from Canada. Did someone answer I missed it. My guess is at least 12 to 24 hours just to get troops moving. Someone may be albe to give a better answer.

On that note does not it take the 82 nds ready unit 24 hours to move also. Just the speed and size to the Russian reaction indicates either they were waiting for it or they are far more readiness concious than the US.
Old 19 Oct 08, 03:17
Sami

Quote:
Originally Posted by craven View Post
I saw someone ask how long it would take the US to respond of an from Canada. Did someone answer I missed it. My guess is at least 12 to 24 hours just to get troops moving. Someone may be albe to give a better answer.

On that note does not it take the 82 nds ready unit 24 hours to move also. Just the speed and size to the Russian reaction indicates either they were waiting for it or they are far more readiness concious than the US.
Once again I need to repeat myself about that it wasn´t the entire 54th army that moved in but a small force of troops with perhaps 10 BMP, 1-2 Tanks propably T-72.
It was even critisised to some degree since the commander was with that group.
Still he is considered a hero for his initave.
Now what takes longer-, To get a small group ready or a entire army?

What also shows that the Russians was unpreapered is:
1It was a regular army with old equipment, not even T-80 tanks.
2 No Spetsnaz units was in the area, small groups of 4-10 persons can easily be moved around without causing attention.
3 The Russian peacekeepers in Tchingvalli lacked heavier AT-weapons.
4 The elite VDV units was not standing by and ready to be deployed.

Max Sterner
Old 19 Oct 08, 10:50
General of the Forums
Austria

Quote:

The 82nd Airborne is based in Ft. Bragg North Carolina -- the 101st Airborne ( even though they customarily no longer de-plane perfectly good airplanes prior to landing ) is in Ft. Campbell, Kentucky. Both are considered "immediate response" units and are capable of movement - at least at the initial level - within just a few hours.

Our battle plan - a well rehearsed and comprehensive one at that - in an effort to counter the potential attack from those vile and barbaric "lefties" from "up North" would be to immediately "Nuke" all territory to the north of the Mason - Dixon line -- sort of a "two birds" with one shot effect would be achieved -- "lefties" and "Yankees" eliminated with extreme prejudice at one fell swoop

By the way -- I was joking -- we wouldn't really "do in" all the Yankees - some of their girls are very good looking - it would be a terrible waste - can't have that !

BoRG
Old 19 Oct 08, 12:51
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300]
Just to clarify I picked the 82 nd because it is the unit that has the highest preparness level not because of location.

from Erkki
Once again I need to repeat myself about that it wasn´t the entire 54th army that moved in but a small force of troops with perhaps 10 BMP, 1-2 Tanks propably T-72.

At no point did I say the whole army was sent in immediately. The point I was trying to make was the Unit that is heald in the highest readiness in the US would of found it tough to make the time line that Russia puts forth.
Old 19 Oct 08, 13:00
General of the Forums
Austria

Quote:
Just to clarify I picked the 82 nd because it is the unit that has the highest preparness level not because of location.

from Erkki

At no point did I say the whole army was sent in immediately. The point I was trying to make was the Unit that is heald in the highest readiness in the US would of found it tough to make the time line that Russia puts forth.
Location is an important consideration -- that's the reason I mentioned it - and you are right - the 82nd is a "first responder" with elements prepared to deploy rapidly -- usually within a 24 hour time period.

Erkki has his numbers mixed - it was the 58th Army - not the 54th -- He knows that - he just hit the wrong key.

Anyway -- again - a good point -- even with the state of readiness customary to the 82nd Airborne - it would have taken a while to get into action -- the Russians were prepared - regardless of what they may say publicly. I believe that several weaknesses were brought to the surface regarding the Russian Military during the Georgia conflict. Russia would like to minimize their deficiencies by claiming they were taken by surprise -- that's just politics

BoRG
Old 19 Oct 08, 13:10
Sami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Franz View Post

Erkki has his numbers mixed - it was the 58th Army - not the 54th -- He knows that - he just hit the wrong key.

Quote:
Anyway -- again - a good point -- even with the state of readiness customary to the 82nd Airborne - it would have taken a while to get into action -- the Russians were prepared - regardless of what they may say publicly. I believe that several weaknesses were brought to the surface regarding the Russian Military during the Georgia conflict. Russia would like to minimize their deficiencies by claiming they were taken by surprise -- that's just politics
I have contacts in the RF army, they was to some degree taken by surprise, they knew that Georgians would make provocations, but they was not ready for a full scale invasion.

Yes Russia has problems admitting loosing old tanks like T-64 and T-72

Max Sterner
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!