StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II > Governments & Organizations

Notices and Announcements

Governments & Organizations Unit histories, OOB, political parties, OSS, Waffen-SS; if it has anything to do with the functioning of military or government organizations, this is the place for it.

Old 14 Sep 08, 18:59
Private
United_States

987th FA is on the path to success [1-99]
987th Field Artillery Battalions

987th Field Artillery Battalions

Battery B
As a young boy of 18 just out of school and was looking forward to going back to finish up his last year, but things took a turn for this kid.

On hot day in June a letter came for him to report to FT Deveins of Ayer MASS to report for duty on 6th July 1943 and then entered into active services on the 20th of July 1943.

From FT Deveins they went to FT Bragg's NC on 28th of July to the 7th of Nov. 1943 at FT. Bragg's, Field Artillery under the Command of Lieut O' Conner. My dadís note indicated he was a swell egg. And then went on to say "What a hole! Arrived amidst down pour of ran".

Then on to Camp Bowie, in TX on the 14th of Nov 1943 they were under the Command of Capt Keenemer. My dads note that he was a Bas----D!

Last state side stop was at Camp Shanks and he went from being a PVT to PFC. I have no idea when they got to this camp but they shipped out to Scotland on the 13th of March 1944 on the ship Isle de France.

So I'm assuming that all of the 987th shipped out at the same time.

No indication of which camp they went to in Scotland. He indicated that this was a beautiful country and what a relief to see land again! His over seas commanding officer was one Capt. John Vomer, "Best C.O. in the world"

Then from March 1944 up until June 6th 1944 their is no indication what the 987th FA was up to in Scotland.

D-DAY
June 6th 1944 Battery B landed on Gold / Kings Beach in Normandy with the British 50th Division. "I thought my time had at last come. Vomited after seeing first dead." Just 10.1 km from Bayeux France we started our advance to Bayeux.

June 8th 1944, Bayeux France, Battery B is now cont its support for the British 30th Corps and the British 7th Arm'd (Desert Rats) and advancing and Fighting for the French town of Tilly-Sur-Seilles. Battery B was in the area of Normandy France from the 6th of June into the 24th of July.

Northern France
25th of July into the 14th of Sept.

Rhineland
15th of Sept into the 21st of March.

Ardennes
16th of Dec into the 25th of Jan 1945.

Central Europe
22 of March to June 1945

Attached To:
27 Jan 45-14 Feb 45 - U.S. 9th Infantry Division
4th Infantry Division. "Ivy Division"
01.04.1945-23.04.1945 - 9th US Armored Division "Phantom"

HOMEWARD BOUND

10th of Aug 1945 I assuming Battery B is making it way back to England and on the 19th of Aug coming in to port at New York. And back to were it all started over 2 years, 4 months and 3 days ago. Coming home to FT. DEVENS on the 30th of Aug 1945.

RESTRICTED - Army Service Forces - First Service Command Station #1 Fort Deveins, Mass

At the end of the war about 122 EM returned to FT DEVEN and on the 8th of October 1945 by special orders number 270 they were granted fur for 25 days and to return to FT DEVENS not later than 4th of November 1945. 8th of November 1945 all the EM had there separation with honorable discharge.

Out of that 122 EM four of them were with the NYS-987-FA.

So what I'm looking for is information first on battery B which my dad was apart of an all an any information on the hole unit.

Larry
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 08 Mar 09, 20:12
Recruit
United_States

David Cardenas is a balanced individual [0]
987 Field Artillery Battalion

Larry, my dad was in Battery C of the 987th Field Artillery Battalion. He is still alive. He says he doesn't personally remember any names from B Battery, but he doess recall that the captain of B Battery was nick- named "B B Eyes." He does not remember the captain's real name. The C Battery captain was John Finnegan.

In the UK, they were stationed at a town called Clacton-on-Sea, in Essex for the most part until the ivasion.

If you would like more info on the 987th, from my dad,please feel free to personally e-mail me at cardie@123mail.net

Last edited by David Cardenas; 08 Mar 09 at 20:14..
Old 10 Jan 11, 16:54
Recruit
United_States

staniecr is a balanced individual [0]
I have two documents which may be of interest if you do not already have them:

Continental History of 987 Field Artillery Battalion - 6 June 1966 - 8 May 1945 (includes map, narrative, Intinerary, and roster by name and state) - published by battallion

My Father's personal account of his day by day combat experiences as a tank driver - Feb. 17, 1944 - May 16, 1945

I also have a photo of my father's tank, the Battlin' Bobbie, if you want a copy.

Anyone know how I can share these with a broader audience? Donate to some museum? Post somewhere on the web?
Old 17 Sep 11, 23:24
Private
United_States

987th FA is on the path to success [1-99]
I have more information to add on this unit and hoping that maybe I should start a face book account on this subject..

Larry
Old 20 Sep 11, 08:50
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Let us know if you do so.
Old 30 Nov 11, 12:12
Private
France

geoffleese is a balanced individual [0]
Hello everyone.

I'm a trustee of the America/Gold beach Museum (Gold Beach-King) in Ver sur Mer, Lower Normandy, France.

I know of the landing of "B" battery, 987 Field Artillery Battallion on our beach, and their subsequent efforts in support of XXX corps.

We have it in mind to mount at least a temporary display in the museum about this little known Anglo-American co-operation.

Any help anyone can offer by way of documents will be most appreciated, as will details of landing time, locations in the days following the landing and other information.

I have found the picture attached - caption "near Bayeux, June 8th 1944"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 987 FAB near bayeux (US).JPG (223.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 19 Dec 11, 20:50
Recruit
United_States

beaucoupplants is a balanced individual [0]
Continental History of 987 Artillary Battalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by staniecr View Post
I have two documents which may be of interest if you do not already have them:

Continental History of 987 Field Artillery Battalion - 6 June 1966 - 8 May 1945 (includes map, narrative, Intinerary, and roster by name and state) - published by battallion

My Father's personal account of his day by day combat experiences as a tank driver - Feb. 17, 1944 - May 16, 1945

I also have a photo of my father's tank, the Battlin' Bobbie, if you want a copy.

Anyone know how I can share these with a broader audience? Donate to some museum? Post somewhere on the web?
Were you able to post this document anywhere on the web? We have a copy that is in poor condition & we would like to see a good copy. Thanks
Old 29 Dec 11, 22:02
Private
United_States

1/1Blackhawk is a balanced individual [0]
B Battery 987th Field Artillery letter dated Aug. 1, 1944

I have a V mail letter from Sgt. Karl Bertelson of B Battery 987th Field Artillery dated Aug. 1, 1944 should this be of interest, Larry.
Regards,
Jim
Old 30 Dec 11, 06:07
Private
France

Hello Jim.

I'd love a copy, please. Are you able to email me an electronic one? I'll send you my email address by PM.
Old 30 Dec 11, 06:29
Private
France

Well, I did try to send you an email address by PM - but I can't, as I don't have sufficient posts.
Sponsored Links

Old 30 Dec 11, 06:57
Private
France

So here's another attempt at getting my post count up.

Is there any reference in the third post above to the landing on Gold and subsequent operations in support of XXX Corps?
Old 30 Dec 11, 06:59
Private
France

Sorry, I meant the REFERENCE in the third post above -

"Continental History of 987 Field Artillery Battalion - 6 June 1966 - 8 May 1945 "
Old 31 Dec 11, 11:16
Private
United_States

987th Field Artillery B Battery

Thanks for writing, Geoff. Like you I do not have enough posts to send an email directly, so I'll attempt to attach the Vmail letter with this post.
Best wishes for the coming year!
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 978th FA B Battery.JPG (342.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 31 Dec 11, 12:03
Private
France

Thanks for that Jim. Will try to decipher it tomorrow.

Thanks also for the good wishes - same to you!

By the way Jim, everyone, I'm often in Normandy, so if I can be of any help with photos or owt else. please ask!
Old 02 Jan 12, 15:49
Private
United_States

more Normandy interests

Thanks, Geoff. The uncle I'm named for was killed in July 1944 near Caen. When I have enough forum posts to allow sending more details I'll be pleased to forward the information to you.
Regards,
Jim

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!