StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Russia, Central Asia, and The Caucasus > South Ossetian Conflict

Notices and Announcements

South Ossetian Conflict Discuss the conflict between Georgia and Russia over South Ossetia.

Old 11 Aug 08, 11:42
ACG Senior Online Editor
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Blitzpuppy is on the path to success [1-99] Blitzpuppy is on the path to success [1-99] Blitzpuppy is on the path to success [1-99]
Assault on Georgia! Exclusive Military Analysis on South Ossetia by Ralph Peters

Raph Peters, author of Looking for Trouble and Wars of Blood and Faith: The Conflicts that will Shape the 21st Century, provides insights into Russia's invasion of Georgia and the Russian military's performance there.... Full Article
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 11 Aug 08, 12:17
First Lieutenant
Russia

Jukov is on the path to success [1-99]
another silly "analytics"
author i think even not clearly know where a hell is tzhivali? is it somewhere near Atlanta?
Old 11 Aug 08, 12:29
General of the Forums
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Got this little farce bang to rights he has. I thought this too.Too quick to respond to the Georgian move. The Russian forces have been ready to go from the word go. They've been mobilized for weeks.
Old 11 Aug 08, 12:40
First Lieutenant
Russia

When it`s all over i swear to open a thead where all of you guy`s will bring apologizes to russia
Old 11 Aug 08, 12:43
Major General
Estonia
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 

pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200]
Jukov, for Georgia's sake i really hope so. I am not holding my breath though.
Old 11 Aug 08, 12:46
First Lieutenant
Russia

not for only georgia`s sake but ossetians russians and for your sake to soldier
Old 11 Aug 08, 12:56
Major General
Estonia

pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200]
Jukov, for some odd reason I keep remembering the Russian rocket attack on Georgia last year where Russia protested innocence only to be proven lying by international experts. Then the UN weaseled out on stating the obvious, but the implication of ruled out Georgia is quite clear.
Old 11 Aug 08, 12:59
First Lieutenant
Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp(est) View Post
Jukov, for some odd reason I keep remembering the Russian rocket attack on Georgia last year where Russia protested innocence only to be proven lying by international experts. Then the UN weaseled out on stating the obvious, but the implication of ruled out Georgia is quite clear.
i`m begining tired of this crap
Old 11 Aug 08, 13:17
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign SPQR Campaign 

Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Talking Who is this guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukov View Post

another silly "analytics"
author i think even not clearly know where a hell is tzhivali? is it somewhere near Atlanta?

i`m begining tired of this crap
Ralph Peters is a retired U.S. Army intelligence officer and a respected author. His credentials make his "analytics" worth condsideration, and I speculate that his sense of geography is more qualified than you might think.

You, however, seem to have no appeal.
"This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Last edited by Paul Mann III; 11 Aug 08 at 13:24..
Old 11 Aug 08, 13:21
Supreme Ruler of the Universe
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Model Forum Group Build 

Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800] Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800]
Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800] Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800] Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800] Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800] Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800]
This was a very interesting piece - and it does provide a fascinating insight - whether you agree with the views or not, the speed of the Russian operation was suspiciously fast, indicating methodical planning well in advance.

I don't think I'll be apologising to Russia any time soon.

Dr. S.
Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk
Sponsored Links

Old 11 Aug 08, 13:30
First Lieutenant
Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mann III View Post
Ralph Peters is a retired U.S. Army intelligence officer and a respected author. His credentials make his "analytics" worth condsideration, and I speculate that his sense of geography is more qualified than you might think.

You, however, seem to have no appeal.
look at my medals i suppose they also mean something to you right?
Old 11 Aug 08, 13:33
First Lieutenant
Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Sinister View Post
This was a very interesting piece - and it does provide a fascinating insight - whether you agree with the views or not, the speed of the Russian operation was suspiciously fast, indicating methodical planning well in advance.

I don't think I'll be apologising to Russia any time soon.

Dr. S.
Fast speed of operation? whoahh
if it was a full scale operation russian vdv spetznaz got saakashvilli pulled by the hairs right here at 8`th august evening

if it was our objetcitve
but it is not so try to at least imagine that we are saying a truth
Old 11 Aug 08, 15:03
Major General
Estonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukov View Post
but it is not so try to at least imagine that we are saying a truth
That would require a hefty dose of wilful suspension of disbelief.
Old 11 Aug 08, 15:59
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
IMHO not a bad analysis at all. I liked the stress on the sledgehammer aspect of the Russian modus operandi. The historian in me is tempted to see a parallel with the Finland of the Winter War of 1939 or with Chechnya in 1994 when Russian tank columns were turned into burning hulks.

What I would like to add here is some diplomacy: the support Georgia has enjoyed from the US for training and Israel for equipment prior to the conflict.

The US started in 2002 the 'Georgian Equip and Train Program' in order to enable the Georgian armed forces to combat Al-Qaeda in the mountainous border areas.
This program was followed later by the 'Georgia Sustain & Stability Operations Program', training Georgian forces for deployment in Iraq.

Israel in the mean time equipped the Georgian infantry with new weapons and communication equipment; Georgia's SU-25 ground attack planes were upgraded and Israel equipped Georgia with the Hermes-450 reconnaissance drone (famous for its picture on which the world saw a rocket fired by a Russian Mig-29 closing in on the drone till we saw snow. Israel withdrew its support for Israel only as recent as the beginning of August 2008 under Russian pressure, according to certain Israeli sources under the understanding that Russia stopped its delivery of advanced S-300 anti-air batteries.

In spite of the above David vs Goliath picture it seems to me that still the Russian superiority in numbers is such that we may watch a Russo-Finnish war revisited, which ended in 1940.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 11 Aug 08, 16:03
First Lieutenant
Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsennef View Post
IMHO not a bad analysis at all. I liked the stress on the sledgehammer aspect of the Russian modus operandi. The historian in me is tempted to see a parallel with the Finland of the Winter War of 1939 or with Chechnya in 1994 when Russian tank columns were turned into burning hulks.

What I would like to add here is some diplomacy: the support Georgia has enjoyed from the US for training and Israel for equipment prior to the conflict.

The US started in 2002 the 'Georgian Equip and Train Program' in order to enable the Georgian armed forces to combat Al-Qaeda in the mountainous border areas.
This program was followed later by the 'Georgia Sustain & Stability Operations Program', training Georgian forces for deployment in Iraq.

Israel in the mean time equipped the Georgian infantry with new weapons and communication equipment; Georgia's SU-25 ground attack planes were upgraded and Israel equipped Georgia with the Hermes-450 reconnaissance drone (famous for its picture on which the world saw a rocket fired by a Russian Mig-29 closing in on the drone till we saw snow. Israel withdrew its support for Israel only as recent as the beginning of August 2008 under Russian pressure, according to certain Israeli sources under the understanding that Russia stopped its delivery of advanced S-300 anti-air batteries.

In spite of the above David vs Goliath picture it seems to me that still the Russian superiority in numbers is such that we may watch a Russo-Finnish war revisited, which ended in 1940.
bhahaha al-qaeda
georgians in fact SUPPORTED al-quaeda on their territory

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!