HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War I

Notices and Announcements

World War I The war to end all wars.

Old 29 Jun 08, 06:13
Colonel
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200]
Trenches from Switzerland to the Sea

Conventional history tells us that The Trench lines of WW1 stretched from the Alps to the Sea. Does anyone have any clues as to what the northern and southernmost extents of the trench lines actually looked like? How close to the coast did the fighting get? A quick bit of research tells me that the Frontline on the North Sea/channel coast was somewhere around Ostend. I have a bizzare picture in my head of Trenches on the Beach. What actually happened there?

Likewise how did the trench line finish in the South? Did they run right up to the Swiss Border? Was there a "Race to the alps" in the same manner as the "Race to the Sea"?

The two most important days of your life are the day you are born, and the day you find out why - Mark Twain
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 29 Jun 08, 07:25
Leave of Absence
Netherlands
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
SPQR Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
It remains an intriguing question, doesn't it?
We have covered this issue in WW1 trivia, you may wish to browse there further: http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=668047. This is what I found there for the Swiss end (no Alps), a picture of the North Sea end probably will be there as well.

As far as I recall, there was no established 'race to the Alps' as there has been a 'race to the sea', as the 'jump off' positions of both parties were so close to the Swiss border.

Last edited by Major Sennef; 29 Jun 08 at 07:41.. Reason: effort to diminish size of picture
Old 29 Jun 08, 11:58
Corporal
Belgium
March Offensive 

Regulus1 is on the path to success [1-99] Regulus1 is on the path to success [1-99]
Trenches actually untill Nieuwpoort at the Belgian coast.

On the 10th of July 1917 the German Marinekorps Flandern took the British bridge head at Nieuwpoort.
Old 29 Jun 08, 12:36
Leave of Absence
Netherlands
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
SPQR Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Have you got any pictures of the North Sea end of the trenches, Regulus?
Old 29 Jun 08, 18:15
Corporal
Belgium
March Offensive 

Regulus1 is on the path to success [1-99] Regulus1 is on the path to success [1-99]
To be honest, I've got tons of them on the German side...

Old 29 Jun 08, 18:16
Corporal
Belgium
March Offensive 

German officers on the 10th of July 1917, just before the Operation Strandfest, attack on the Aliied bridge head.
Old 29 Jun 08, 18:17
Corporal
Belgium
March Offensive 

Barbarakuppe fortifications
Old 29 Jun 08, 18:17
Corporal
Belgium
March Offensive 

Old 29 Jun 08, 18:20
Corporal
Belgium
March Offensive 

German Hexenkessel fortifications

Old 29 Jun 08, 18:22
Corporal
Belgium
March Offensive 

Immediate surroundings and the nearby village of Lombardsijde

Old 30 Jun 08, 04:56
Colonel
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200]
Bravo Guys, Brilliant stuff. I really didn't believe that I would see a picture of Trenches in the sand dunes, but it goes to show that reality is always better than what we imagine.

The two most important days of your life are the day you are born, and the day you find out why - Mark Twain
Old 30 Jun 08, 05:06
Brigadier General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300]
In that first photo...is that snow on the sand?
Colonel Summers' widely quoted critique of US strategy in the Vietnam War is having a modest vogue...it is poor history, poor strategy, and poor Clausewitz to boot - Robet Komer, Survival, 27:2, p. 94.
Old 30 Jun 08, 08:54
Corporal
Belgium
March Offensive 

Yes that's snow indeed !
Old 10 Jul 08, 21:54
Private
Belgium

fretn is on the path to success [1-99]
well that's already a long time ago, because we haven't had alot of snow since ages!
Old 11 Jul 08, 15:30
General of the Forums
UK
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I know about the race for the coast in 1914/15 but was there ever an attempt to assault in force on the coastal areas or even on the beaches?I've not heard it myself.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!