StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Weapons of War > Naval Warfare

Notices and Announcements

Naval Warfare A place to discuss all things Naval!

Old 27 May 08, 21:41
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900]
Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900]
Question Top Ten Admirals of all Time

Please name your top ten admirals of all time; include a short statement explaining why think your admirals should be on your top ten list.

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 27 May 08, 22:16
General of the Forums
EU
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Full Monty has disabled reputation
There can be only one Admiral - step forward Wes!

Slightly more seriously, that's not easy. Generals maybe, but admirals, I'll have to give that some thought.
Old 27 May 08, 23:02
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200]
Admiral

You have to give the number 1 slot to Horatio Nelson. I'm not sure about the others but Chester Nimitz should be considered.

Last edited by 2nd Rangers; 27 May 08 at 23:05..
Old 27 May 08, 23:47
Lieutenant General
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500]
I've always had a soft spot for Cunningham but I'll need to go think about this one
Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion—several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn’t straight.
Old 28 May 08, 00:45
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900]
Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900]
Top Ten Admirals of all Time

Okay, here is my list just to get things started:

1. Yi Sun Shin – Korea: Arguably one of the greatest admirals of all time; drove the Japanese out of their collective minds. Of the at least 23 major battles during the Japanese invasions of Korea (1592-1598), Admiral Yi gained victories in all of them; he never lost a single engagement and is the national hero of Korea.

2. Horatio Nelson – Britain: If you do not know who he is you have no business in these forums; I recommend that you try knitting sweaters instead.

3. Frank Jack Fletcher - United States: Admiral Fletcher was the operational commander at the pivotal Battles of Coral Sea and of Midway.

4. Gaius Duilius - Rome: He won a major naval victory over the Carthaginians during the battle of Mylae thus setting the stage for the decline of Carthage as as the per-eminent naval power of antiquity.

5. Don Juan of Austria: The Victor of the Battle of Lepanto, the last major naval engagement between galley fleets; this battle set the stage for the decline of the Turkish Empire.

6. François Joseph Paul, Comte de Grasse - France: Fought the British fleet to a standstill at the Battle of the Capes, and forced the British to retire without supplying Yorktown, thus forcing George III to give up his American colonies.

7. Michiel Adriaenszoon de Ruyter - Holland: One of the most famous admirals in Dutch history. De Ruyter is most famous for his role in the Anglo-Dutch Wars of the 17th century. He fought the English and French in these wars and scored several major victories, the best known probably being the Raid on the Medway.

8. Heihachiro Togo – Japan: The winner of the Battle of Tsushima Straits; historian Edmund Morris calls it the greatest naval battle since Trafalgar. It was the largest naval engagement of the pre-dreadnought battleship era and the only sea battle in history in which steel battleships fought a decisive fleet action.

9. David Glasgow Farragut – United States: On August 5, 1864, Farragut won a great victory in the Battle of Mobile Bay. Mobile was then the Confederacy's last major port open on the Gulf of Mexico; when it was captured, it helped to set the stage for the final defeat of the Confederacy just as surely as the Battle of Gettysburg.

10. Isoroku Yamamoto – Japan: Planned the daring attack on Pearl Harbor thus bringing the United States into the Second World War.
Old 28 May 08, 01:46
ACG Forums Field Marshall
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build 
SPQR Campaign 

Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass_man86 View Post

1. Yi Sun Shin – Korea: Arguably one of the greatest admirals of all time; drove the Japanese out of their collective minds. Of the at least 23 major battles during the Japanese invasions of Korea (1592-1598), Admiral Yi gained victories in all of them; he never lost a single engagement and is the national hero of Korea.

2. Horatio Nelson – Britain: If you do not know who he is you have no business in these forums; I recommend that you try knitting sweaters instead.

3. Frank Jack Fletcher - United States: Admiral Fletcher was the operational commander at the pivotal Battles of Coral Sea and of Midway.

4. Gaius Duilius - Rome: He won a major naval victory over the Carthaginians during the battle of Mylae thus setting the stage for the decline of Carthage as as the per-eminent naval power of antiquity.

5. Don Juan of Austria: The Victor of the Battle of Lepanto, the last major naval engagement between galley fleets; this battle set the stage for the decline of the Turkish Empire.

6. François Joseph Paul, Comte de Grasse - France: Fought the British fleet to a standstill at the Battle of the Capes, and forced the British to retire without supplying Yorktown, thus forcing George III to give up his American colonies.

7. Michiel Adriaenszoon de Ruyter - Holland: One of the most famous admirals in Dutch history. De Ruyter is most famous for his role in the Anglo-Dutch Wars of the 17th century. He fought the English and French in these wars and scored several major victories, the best known probably being the Raid on the Medway.

8. Heihachiro Togo – Japan: The winner of the Battle of Tsushima Straits; historian Edmund Morris calls it the greatest naval battle since Trafalgar. It was the largest naval engagement of the pre-dreadnought battleship era and the only sea battle in history in which steel battleships fought a decisive fleet action.

9. David Glasgow Farragut – United States: On August 5, 1864, Farragut won a great victory in the Battle of Mobile Bay. Mobile was then the Confederacy's last major port open on the Gulf of Mexico; when it was captured, it helped to set the stage for the final defeat of the Confederacy just as surely as the Battle of Gettysburg.

10. Isoroku Yamamoto – Japan: Planned the daring attack on Pearl Harbor thus bringing the United States into the Second World War.
A good list, but you left out one that propelled Britain into the forefront of naval power:

BoRG

http://www.yelp.com/biz/natural-life-aquarium-south-san-francisco
------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.naturallifeaquarium.com/

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg
Old 28 May 08, 02:02
General of the Forums
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 

PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinator View Post
A good list, but you left out one that propelled Britain into the forefront of naval power:

I am not sure I would consider Charles Howard one of the top ten Admirals

I like Mario list just to think I want to add any.
Old 28 May 08, 09:07
ACG Forums - Legatus Janitorus
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 
SPQR Campaign 

Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Man

Enh henh henh henh... yup!

Good answer, Chief!

As relatively unknown as Yi has been in western history (not so much around here in the last 3 years) even more unknown of him is that he was a General in his younger days & considered so good as to have been relieved & imprisoned by an Emperor, likely, so as not to garner to much power & admiration for his abilities... thus lessening said Emperors 'thunder'. And, yes... as a General, he was also undefeated.

From here, my list would be slightly different, primarily in order, with a couple differing entirely...

ACG History Today

BoRG
Old 28 May 08, 10:58
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
Enh henh henh henh... yup!

Good answer, Chief!

As relatively unknown as Yi has been in western history (not so much around here in the last 3 years) even more unknown of him is that he was a General in his younger days & considered so good as to have been relieved & imprisoned by an Emperor, likely, so as not to garner to much power & admiration for his abilities... thus lessening said Emperors 'thunder'. And, yes... as a General, he was also undefeated.

From here, my list would be slightly different, primarily in order, with a couple differing entirely...

Wes, I should have put in the disclaimer "not necessarily in order" although I would have let those two on the top. I learned about Adrmiral Yi when I was posted in Korea; being that I had to work with the locals all the time, it payed to know about Yi Sun Shin. In any case, we were highly encouraged to know a bit about him, if you catch my drift.
Old 28 May 08, 11:26
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:

[...]

[...]
Frank Jack Fletcher??? Over Spruance, Mitscher, Halsey and Nimitz???

My list will be US-centric and biased toward the WWII Pacific theatre.

1. Ray Spruance - TF-16 at Midway, TF-58 at Marianas Turkey Shoot.

2. Marc Mitscher - Ran TF-58's carriers. Turned on TF-58's lights so the Hellcat, Helldiver and Avenger aviators could find their way home.

3. William "Bull" Halsey - Aggresive patrolling after Pearl Harbor was immeasurably valuable experience for our inexperienced naval aviators. Ran TF-38 (same ships as TF-58). Halsey and Spruance rotated command…One admiral and his staff would run an Op while the other and his staff planned the next Op.

4. Tamon Yamaguchi - If he had been in Nagumo's place at Pearl Harbor and Midway...1942 and 1943 would have been bad years for the US Navy.

5. Raizō Tanaka - If he had been in Kurita's place off Samar...the Leyte Gulf beach head would've been clobbered.

6. Edward Preble - Technically a Commodore...the phrase "Preble's Boys" says it all.

7. Alfred Thayer Mahan - Father of the modern US Navy.

8. Isoroku Yamamoto - One of the most brilliant naval strategists and a great leader. He truly was irreplaceable.

9. Heihachiro Togo - Tsushima...'nuff said.

10. John Henry Towers - Father of US Naval Aviation.

Last edited by The Doctor; 28 May 08 at 13:46..
Sponsored Links

Old 28 May 08, 12:52
General of the Forums - Donut Dolly
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I don't have 10 but here are mine:

Grand Commander Tran Hung Dao

Vice Admiral James Bond Stockdale

Vice Admiral Huang Co Minh

Admiral Raymond Spruance

Rear Admiral Lam Nguon Tanh

Lord Horatio Nelson

Admiral Wilhelm Canaris

Admiral of the Ocean Seas Christopher Columbus

Last edited by Miss Saigon; 29 May 08 at 03:46..
Old 29 May 08, 01:43
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Frank Jack Fletcher??? Over Spruance, Mitscher, Halsey and Nimitz???

My list will be US-centric and biased toward the WWII Pacific theatre.

1. Ray Spruance - TF-16 at Midway, TF-58 at Marianas Turkey Shoot.

2. Marc Mitscher - Ran TF-58's carriers. Turned on TF-58's lights so the Hellcat, Helldiver and Avenger aviators could find their way home.

3. William "Bull" Halsey - Aggresive patrolling after Pearl Harbor was immeasurably valuable experience for our inexperienced naval aviators. Ran TF-38 (same ships as TF-58). Halsey and Spruance rotated command…One admiral and his staff would run an Op while the other and his staff planned the next Op.

4. Tamon Yamaguchi - If he had been in Nagumo's place at Pearl Harbor and Midway...1942 and 1943 would have been bad years for the US Navy.

5. Raizō Tanaka - If he had been in Kurita's place off Samar...the Leyte Gulf beach head would've been clobbered.

6. Edward Preble - Technically a Commodore...the phrase "Preble's Boys" says it all.

7. Alfred Thayer Mahan - Father of the modern US Navy.

8. Isoroku Yamamoto - One of the most brilliant naval strategists and a great leader. He truly was irreplaceable.

9. Heihachiro Togo - Tsushima...'nuff said.

10. John Henry Towers - Father of US Naval Aviation.
Great choices Doc; I was trying to avoid being US centric because if I was R K Turner and his mastery of amphibious warfare comes mind.

Last edited by Bass_Man86; 29 May 08 at 19:32..
Old 29 May 08, 01:45
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
I don't have 10 but here are mine:

Vice Admiral James Bond Stockdale

Vice Admiral Huong Co Minh

Admiral Raymond Spruance

Rear Admiral Lam Nguon Tanh

Lord Horatio Nelson

Admiral Wilhelm Canaris

Admiral of the Ocean Seas Christopher Columbus

My dear Lady, I am ashamed to admit that I am not familiar with the Vietnamese (?) gentlemen; could kindly pass on some mor einformation about them.
Old 29 May 08, 04:00
General of the Forums - Donut Dolly
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
My dear Lady, I am ashamed to admit that I am not familiar with the Vietnamese (?) gentlemen; could kindly pass on some mor einformation about them.

One of our greatest national heroes. Not exactly an Admiral but as close as there was at that time in Vietnam. He defeated Kublai Kahn's Mongol Fleet at the battle of Bach Dang River, and was named Grand Commander of all VN forces in recognition of his achievements. He is considered one of the world's greatest strategists.

Admiral Lam Nguon Tanh.

Last chief of Naval operations for the Republic of Vietnam. In 2005 was elected president of the Free Vietnamese government in exile.

Vice Admiral Huang Co Minh

Admiral in the navy of the Republic of Vietnam. Upon the fall of the Republic, Admiral Huang escaped to the US where he founded the National United Front for the Liberation of Viet Nam. Subsequently he returned to Vietnam to lead guerrillas in the struggle against the Communist government. He was killed in action in 1987 leading a force of 200 guerrillas in the jungles of Viet Nam.

Old 21 Dec 08, 17:03
Recruit
United_States

B.F.O.L. is on the path to success [1-99]
Through and Through nature has proved the greatest adversary to navy's the person i am about to mention was greatly aided by gales, and lets not forget divine wind or kamakaze that saved the Japanese from the invasion of Ghengis Khan.

But really i can not believe you left the most obvious and clearly greatest admiral ever out. In my opinion themistocles clearly earns the number 1 seat. He was the first person to recognize the importance of a navy, and due to his victory at the straits of salamis. The greeks defeated the persians, and were on their way to becoming a unified country instead of a random confederation of city states. Which had supreme effects on the structure of democracy to come. Look it up and i am sure you will agree that themistocles truely was the greatest admiral of all time. Feel free to correct any errors i may have included but upon studying i am sure you will agree with me

However nostagicly my favorite admiral would have to be john paul jones. Due more to the storybook heroism propogated by legend than actually feats.

But come on; I have not yet begun to fight is BA.

Last edited by B.F.O.L.; 21 Dec 08 at 17:12..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!