HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Turn-Based Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Turn-Based Strategy Games For all games that follow a turn-based format.

Old 15 May 08, 14:19
Recruit
UK

Baz is on the path to success [1-99]
Talonsoft Western Front

Evenin' all,

I have a question. Can anyone tell me how I can get Western Front to work on Win XP or even Vista (I use both)

I have seen people say that they are playing it on those operating systems, but I cannot, for love nor money get it to run past the intro screen - I can't find a patch either! I know its an old game and wouldn't ask unless I had seen that it could be done.

Any help appreciated

Thanks - Baz
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 15 May 08, 14:32
Marshal of ACG - XO
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Try this thread over at Game Squad:

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20307

You might also want to look into the Campaign Series compilation released by Matrix not so long ago.
Old 16 May 08, 15:36
Recruit
UK

Baz is on the path to success [1-99]
Cheers Boonie

Cheers Boonie,

I am working on it now, as it happens I have ordered John Tillers Campaign Series, but as I work away from home - (next visit in August!!!) my son is play testing it for me - if I ever see it again that is

So you see I need to scratch the itch now! - I've been looking for years to find a solution (yes - that long !)

Anyway, enough life history, Boonie..... you are a God - A God I tell you, if you were mortal I would have a sex change to bear your children!!!!!!!!

Only joking mate, but you get the sentiment.... anyway, being stuck in the middle east - there ain't much chance!!!!!!

Once again, a heartfelt thankyou........

Seeeeee ya

Baz
Old 16 May 08, 15:50
Marshal of ACG - XO
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Hope it works If not try asking at the Matrix forums, Jason Petho is always willing to help CS fans.
Old 18 May 08, 07:45
General of the Forums
EU
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Full Monty has disabled reputation
This seems to work for all the Talonsoft/Tiller games. When installing the game DO NOT do it from the initial screen! Quit that, go to My Computer, right click on the CD/DVD drive your disc is in and select 'Open'. Find the 'Setup' file (the one that looks like a computer and screen), right click on that and select 'Properties'. Then look for bit at the top of what comes up and click 'Compatibility'. When that section comes up look for 'Run the programme in compatibility mode for', click the little arrow and select 'Windows 98/ME'. Once selected, click 'Apply' and then close the Properties menu. To install double click the setup file (the one you just modified) and let the installer run.
Old 18 May 08, 12:10
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Monty View Post
This seems to work for all the Talonsoft/Tiller games. When installing the game DO NOT do it from the initial screen! Quit that, go to My Computer, right click on the CD/DVD drive your disc is in and select 'Open'. Find the 'Setup' file (the one that looks like a computer and screen), right click on that and select 'Properties'. Then look for bit at the top of what comes up and click 'Compatibility'. When that section comes up look for 'Run the programme in compatibility mode for', click the little arrow and select 'Windows 98/ME'. Once selected, click 'Apply' and then close the Properties menu. To install double click the setup file (the one you just modified) and let the installer run.
Do you know if this works for Panzer General III/SE from SSI?

I have a Hypertheaded core and this causes compatibility issues with the game (game crashes/freezes with any Paratrooper action, etc..). I have almost given up on the game, but there is so much user created content available, I would be willing to re-install again if this works.
Old 19 May 08, 03:48
General of the Forums
EU
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Full Monty has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torien View Post
Do you know if this works for Panzer General III/SE from SSI?

I have a Hypertheaded core and this causes compatibility issues with the game (game crashes/freezes with any Paratrooper action, etc..). I have almost given up on the game, but there is so much user created content available, I would be willing to re-install again if this works.
Hmmmm, it used to work on my AMD dual-core system without any issues that I recall. I've never had an HT processor in any of my systems so the only thought I have is 'try it and see'.

I'm guessing you have this link anyway but if not, and for any other PGIII players ......

http://www.peachmountain.com/5star/PG3_Index.asp
Old 20 May 08, 12:35
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
FM: Thanks for the feedback and link. I will give the re-install a try & see how it works.
(on the next cold & rainy day. not today, I'm hittin' the links!)

Thanks
Old 30 Nov 10, 11:52
Recruit
Canada

furet is a balanced individual [0]
West front, East front, rising sun and TOAW

All those game are in the catalog of Matrix games and was redesigned for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 by the author who worked for Talon soft: John Tiller.

enjoy!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!