StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Colonial Era

Notices and Announcements

American Colonial Era 1660-1763 The growth of North American colonies, often with a change in native & national control.

Old 24 Feb 11, 22:00
First Lieutenant
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

strathnaver is on the path to success [1-99] strathnaver is on the path to success [1-99] strathnaver is on the path to success [1-99] strathnaver is on the path to success [1-99]
Probably I would have been a foot soldier in a British unit first at Louisbourg then at Quebec . And maybe if offered my discharge
I would have taken a farm in Quebec and then prepare myself to repulse the rebels after 1776 when you try and take Canada .

"To all who serve , have or will serve , Thank You"
Old 25 Feb 11, 00:08
General of the Forums
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
I see you think the Seven Years War is the 1st world war...I have a poll about that in Pike and Shot section.

Anyways, being in the Prussian Army might have been interesting...the Prussian Army, at least later, was powerful.

--Hávamál
Old 25 Feb 11, 05:29
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4 View Post
Anyways, being in the Prussian Army might have been interesting...the Prussian Army, at least later, was powerful.

Prussian Army at that time was also well known for its harsh discipline.
As an officer it might have been interesting indeed. How it was in the Prussian army as a soldier, I think I can do no better than to point you to Stanley Kubrick's masterwork "Barry Lyndon"

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 25 Feb 11, 23:31
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
A Scottish Highlander cutting a road. But at that time,only my Cherokee ancestors was here.
Old 27 May 11, 09:45
Private First Class
United_States

SweetSmoke is on the path to success [1-99]
New Orleans
Old 27 May 11, 23:45
Captain
Pirate

surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99]
I'd probably be exactly where i am today. I'd give alot to see my town 250 years ago, when it had a windmill (wich still stands), a small village, and lots of Indians running about in the woods.

I could also smoke some real tobacco. The Russian-style Machorka tobacco is the only type left of real native-style tobacco wich was widespread in north America. Nowadays you can only find some in Russia and eastern Europe.

Now if i could bring back some items, i would try to put mankind on the way to spaceflight by 1900.

- Radio London opening intro
Old 30 May 11, 18:59
Private
United_States

Furcifer is on the path to success [1-99]
I think I'd start off as a Prussian Officer under Freidrich. After a few years of Glorious service (lol) I'd make my way to Philadelphia and set up a pub.
Old 30 May 11, 19:04
Private
United_States

Furcifer is on the path to success [1-99]
Hmm, reminds me of something. A distant relative of mine, Hans Lohl von Hof, immigrated here back in 1698 from Bavaria. In order to pay for his voyage across the Atlantic, he had to do 7 years of indentured servanthood in Philadelphia. He then migrated to York, PA. for a few years and ended up in the Lake Norman area of North Carolina (there was no lake back then though). Lohl turned into Lail and it's still a predominate family name in the area.
Old 24 Oct 12, 11:56
Recruit
United_States

ACRIII is a balanced individual [0]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratego View Post
I think I would have been an adventurer mercenary if I remained in Europe, moving from one army to the next, looking for opportunities to enrich myself and climb the social ladder ! (The French army would be filled with too many stuck up aristocratic officers and the Prussian army would be too harsh for someone as independent as myself...)

Even today I have problems staying fixed in one country and with one job (I'm 34 and I've already had about 20 different jobs and have travelled my whole life from my 3 years old till my 25th)...

Well, in the end I believe I would have travelled to the American colonies in order to settle on the frontier and become a trapper, living in a log cabin, trading in furs, exploring and befriending myself with the local native inhabitants. I probably would have served the British as well as the French forces as the situation turned into the one or the other's favor and depending on the amount of gold I was paid ! And who would find me for being a traitor? No British or French officer would be able to find me in the thick woods of Kentucky or Ohio...

Yes, I'm an opportunist !!!!

Greets,
Stratego

PS: I've made a "Seven Years War Quiz" and it should be on air by tommorow, don't forget to check it out, sauerkraut !!!!!
I think the French might have tracked you down.
Old 24 Oct 12, 20:54
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
Wouldn't have minded being with George Rogers Clark going down the Ohio, or his little brother going to the Pacific ocean either. But that came much later.

Old 25 Oct 12, 04:23
Major
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100]
As I actually took part in the 250th Anniversary of Minden in 09 I would like to have been part of the original British contingent of the Army of Observation under HRH Prince Ferdinand of Brunswick-Lüneburg.

The Anniversary was a fabulous 5 day extravaganza of re-enactments, regular Armed Forces parades, reviews, concerts, food markets and balls - there's some pictures of it on here somewhere. Incidentely the town is organising another similar event in 2014.
Old 25 Oct 12, 04:58
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Go East Young Man!

As an enterprising young man 250 years ago (i.e.1762) you could do worse than go east, to Russia, where Catherina the Great a German born princess, so herself a foreigner, had just ascended the throne.

Almost regardless of your talents, you might find gainful employment and even make a fortune in
1.Russia’s booming agricultural and industrial sector during her Free Economic Society reforms.

2. Alternatively if you were blessed with financial acumen or were a born entrepreneur or into capacity building: Catherina encouraged foreign investment in economically underdeveloped areas of Russia.

3. In case your talents ran more into the brainy subjects like law, humanities or teaching: Catherine relaxed the censorship law and encouraged education for the nobles and middle classes.

4. And if you had nothing of the above but still were an adventurous spirit you could join the Russian army as a foreigner as during Catherine's reign Russia endeavoured into military expansion and to great success.

If Fate smiled on you, you could gain favour and fame and possibly afterwards be rewarded with a track of land or a position and influence at the Russian court

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 25 Oct 12 at 05:06..
Old 25 Oct 12, 11:17
Banned
Germany
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Ricthofen has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ricthofen has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ricthofen has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ricthofen has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ricthofen has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ricthofen has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ricthofen has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ricthofen has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ricthofen has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ricthofen has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ricthofen has demonstrated strength of character [100]
In the quaint woods of Prussia enjoying the outdoors, and likely preparing to join the Hesse-Kassal Jägerkorps in about 15 years later.

Old 25 Oct 12, 12:48
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
A Scottish Highlander, cutting a road through the Pennsylvania wilderness toward Ft. Duquesne?

Where would you be 250 years ago?
Since I'm originally from Pittsburgh and I now live just south of Alexandria...

I would be with Forbes.....not Braddock.
Old 26 Oct 12, 10:42
General of the Forums
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by strathnaver View Post
Probably I would have been a foot soldier in a British unit first at Louisbourg then at Quebec . And maybe if offered my discharge
I would have taken a farm in Quebec and then prepare myself to repulse the rebels after 1776 when you try and take Canada .
This right here. Except my farm would be in PEI.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!