HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Weapons of War

Notices and Announcements

Weapons of War The machinery of warfare. .

Old 24 Mar 08, 11:33
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Loki is on the path to success [1-99] Loki is on the path to success [1-99] Loki is on the path to success [1-99] Loki is on the path to success [1-99]
Which is better, the Colt .45, or the 9mm Beretta?

The enternal debate continues...

The Colt .45, with its lovable/ reliable system (that's over a century old.) and the huge ACP rounds (for a pistol) it is a respected pistol.

And the other side of the ring...

The 9mm Beretta, with its large ammo carry (15 rounds) and the low recoil, it is a modern choice for the US Millitary.

Put down your likes and dislikes about the two guns, if own one, and your thoughts/ research on them.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 24 Mar 08, 11:41
Brigadier General
Sweden
Model Forum Group Build 

McCoy has demonstrated strength of character [100] McCoy has demonstrated strength of character [100] McCoy has demonstrated strength of character [100] McCoy has demonstrated strength of character [100] McCoy has demonstrated strength of character [100] McCoy has demonstrated strength of character [100] McCoy has demonstrated strength of character [100] McCoy has demonstrated strength of character [100] McCoy has demonstrated strength of character [100] McCoy has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Congratulations! You've just opened a huge can of worms.

You will hear a lot from both camps n' they'll never meet.

Both guns do their job n' in the end it's up to the shooter to aim.
Old 24 Mar 08, 13:03
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900]
Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900]
I have used both weapons, they are both good pistols; I would have to say that in the end it's simply a matter of taste.
Old 24 Mar 08, 13:12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

madmike is on the path to success [1-99] madmike is on the path to success [1-99] madmike is on the path to success [1-99]
Colt45 vs 9mm Beretta

The 45 and the 9mm are both very good cartridges.The 1911 in any form is very good along withthe Sigs and Glocks.The Beretta is garbage it cant hold up to a S&W,Sig,Browning Hi-power or Glock.
Old 25 Mar 08, 21:55
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
March Offensive Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Model Forum Group Build Victor 
5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Why use 15 rounds when 8 will do?
Old 25 Mar 08, 21:55
General of the Forums
Singapore
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
How about this:

It's a 1911, and it can fire 9mm rounds, and its mag can hold about 17 rounds. Best of three worlds!
Old 25 Mar 08, 22:33
General
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon 

the_redstar_swl has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Why use 15 rounds when 8 will do?
Well, Assuming two shots center of mass and one to the head to kill somebody, You can dispatch more people with the M9 than with the M1911.
Old 25 Mar 08, 23:06
Brigadier General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Capt AFB is walking in the light [200] Capt AFB is walking in the light [200] Capt AFB is walking in the light [200] Capt AFB is walking in the light [200] Capt AFB is walking in the light [200] Capt AFB is walking in the light [200] Capt AFB is walking in the light [200] Capt AFB is walking in the light [200] Capt AFB is walking in the light [200] Capt AFB is walking in the light [200] Capt AFB is walking in the light [200]
I agree with McCoy, we have an open can of worms here.

I have fired both. I like the punch of the .45, but I rather carry more ammo than less, and 9mm does the job against its target.
Old 25 Mar 08, 23:32
Brigadier General
United_States
March Offensive 5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award Summer Campaign 

Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300]
Colt .45 forever
Old 25 Mar 08, 23:40
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 

Cole Thornton is on the path to success [1-99] Cole Thornton is on the path to success [1-99] Cole Thornton is on the path to success [1-99] Cole Thornton is on the path to success [1-99] Cole Thornton is on the path to success [1-99] Cole Thornton is on the path to success [1-99] Cole Thornton is on the path to success [1-99]
The Beretta 92F (M9 for mil.) is an OK handgun, though I have been using the 1911 for a much longer time, and am more partial to it.

For CCW purposes, both are large and I don't carry either concealed. However, one can carry a Colt Officer if they so desire, which has a shortened frame and barrel.

The basic argument that the Beretta has more rounds in it's magazine compared to the larger bullet diameter that a 1911 is chambered for can be debated forever. It depends on the situation.

I would rather have a 1911 pointed at someone breaking in my door, but there are also scenarios where the larger mag. capacity is desired of the Beretta.
You called down the thunder, well now you've got it! You see that? It says United States Marshal! I see a red sash, I kill the man wearin' it! So run, tell all the other curs the law's comin'! You tell 'em I'M coming...and hell's coming with me.
Sponsored Links

Old 26 Mar 08, 00:28
General of the Forums
Singapore
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Thornton View Post
The Beretta 92F (M9 for mil.) is an OK handgun, though I have been using the 1911 for a much longer time, and am more partial to it.

For CCW purposes, both are large and I don't carry either concealed. However, one can carry a Colt Officer if they so desire, which has a shortened frame and barrel.

The basic argument that the Beretta has more rounds in it's magazine compared to the larger bullet diameter that a 1911 is chambered for can be debated forever. It depends on the situation.

I would rather have a 1911 pointed at someone breaking in my door, but there are also scenarios where the larger mag. capacity is desired of the Beretta.
It's probably easier to keep a 1911 concealed than a Beretta 92F.
Old 26 Mar 08, 00:37
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 

Cole Thornton is on the path to success [1-99] Cole Thornton is on the path to success [1-99] Cole Thornton is on the path to success [1-99] Cole Thornton is on the path to success [1-99] Cole Thornton is on the path to success [1-99] Cole Thornton is on the path to success [1-99] Cole Thornton is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
It's probably easier to keep a 1911 concealed than a Beretta 92F.
A 1911 has a thin profile. Like I said, the Officer is short and slim, but generally speaking with the 1911's slim profile they are easier to fit on you. I used a shoulder harness for my Officer when I used to carry a 1911, but since then have carried S&W 442 and Kahr's.

Kahr's specialize in very thin guns, and are good to have as a backup conceal carry gun.
You called down the thunder, well now you've got it! You see that? It says United States Marshal! I see a red sash, I kill the man wearin' it! So run, tell all the other curs the law's comin'! You tell 'em I'M coming...and hell's coming with me.
Old 26 Mar 08, 05:22
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign 

Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800]
Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800]
For me, it comes down to shot placement. Unlike a rifle round, you won't get the shockwave damage from the high velocities, so you have to put the round in a vital spot.

I began with a SiG P228 9mm and loved it. Accurate, light recoil, low maintenance, lots of rounds in the magazines, slick mags made for blazing fast mag exchanges. The downside, it was heavy when fully loaded, seemed to corrode quickly in a tropical environment, frame rails would crack.

I've also fired the Colt, Kimber, and Springfield Arms M1911A and all were beautiful. The trigger was tight and a joy to pull. The slender profile fit my hand better. The Kimber's barrel was so long, the muzzle was nearly at the target. The downside, 8 rounds in the mag, mags kind of sticky, high maintenance. I was surprised that the recoil was very comperable to lower caliber pistols and I never had a problem with the .45 ACP.
Old 26 Mar 08, 05:26
General of the Forums
Singapore
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Thornton View Post
A 1911 has a thin profile. Like I said, the Officer is short and slim, but generally speaking with the 1911's slim profile they are easier to fit on you. I used a shoulder harness for my Officer when I used to carry a 1911, but since then have carried S&W 442 and Kahr's.

Kahr's specialize in very thin guns, and are good to have as a backup conceal carry gun.
The Glock series of pistols are also pretty slim. Probably all good choices.
Old 26 Mar 08, 11:06
Major
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
The Glock series of pistols are also pretty slim. Probably all good choices.
Depends where you carry. It is easy to fit a full size combat handgun in a shoulder holster. You cannot fit one on your ankle, and I would like to see you try to carry a 1911 or Glock on your waist somewhere during the summer months. It is uncomfortable, and no fun to carry that bulky weapon.

If you want to actually measure they are not. Glock's have a wider handgrip than most standard factory 1911's. The 1911 overall has a much thinner profile than a Glock.

A Kahr has about the thinnest for DA/SA traditional handguns that fire a large caliber round. There are small frame semi-auto's such as a PPK, etc., but then you are going to be firing a weak .380 Auto, etc.

Last edited by Cole Thornton; 26 Mar 08 at 11:14..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!