StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II > Armor in World War II > German and Axis Armor

Notices and Announcements

German and Axis Armor Discuss German and Axis armored fighting vehicles in World War II. This is also the forum for Achtung Panzer.

Old 17 Nov 08, 21:36
Colonel
United_States

Tom D has disabled reputation
Thanks, Cougar1 - I have a copy of this!
Old 18 Nov 08, 06:19
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99]
I think it's in the medium tanks section.

Note: The Panther has its own section.
Old 18 Nov 08, 14:09
Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar1 View Post
I think it's in the medium tanks section.

Note: The Panther has its own section.

From the Panther section, page 72, Interview with Sergeant Thomas P. Welborn of the 2nd Armored Division:

"On August 1944, in the vicinity of St. Sever Calaldos (St.-Sever Calvados), France, I witnessed a German Mark V tank knock out three M4 [medium tanks] and three M5 [light] tank[s] during and after being hit by at least 15 rounds of APC from a distance of approximately 700 yards (670 meters). All these shells had ricocheted, with the exception of a 16th round, which finally put the Mark V out of action."
Old 19 Nov 08, 03:04
Colonel
United_States

This is from "Panzers at War," page 77:

"Accuracy testing at Aberdeen Proving Ground in 1946 showed that, at 1,000 yards (914 meters), the 75mm main gun on the Panther could put all of its shots within a 12-inch (30.5 centimeter) circle. Tests done the year before had demonstrated that the ammunition fired from the Panther had such a flat trajectory that the gunner did not even have to change elevation settings until he began to engage enemy targets at ranges greater than 2,000 yards (1,828 meters)."
Old 19 Nov 08, 03:55
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Australia
Distinguished Service Award - 2nd Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Reading your last two posts makes me think of an old expression, Tom: "Preaching to the converted". (Me being the 'converted' here, of course. )
"England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)
Sponsored Links

Old 19 Nov 08, 12:09
Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther3485 View Post
Reading your last two posts makes me think of an old expression, Tom: "Preaching to the converted". (Me being the 'converted' here, of course. )
I'm getting there...to conversion, that is!
Old 19 Nov 08, 12:21
Colonel
United_States

As Panther3485 has said...

From "Panzers at War," page 91:

"What did Panther crews think of their vehicle's technical problems? Dr. Wolfgang Sterner, a World War II Panther commander answered:

I experienced some of them (technical problems) when I was assigned to the Panzer Lehr Division in January 1945. However, by then the technical problems with the Panther were not so dramatic anymore, because at that time many things had been improved. Of course, another positive factor was the shorter distances on the Western Front. Therefore, the strain on the mechanical equipment of a tank was not as severe as [it] would be on the Eastern Front. We still had technical breakdowns with the Panther, but not much more than with the Mark IV. On the other hand, we never had any problems with the tactical fighting capabilities of the Panther; in my opinion it was outstanding."
Old 21 Nov 08, 14:39
General of the Forums
Wales
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
If the Tiger and Panzer IV stickied why not this ?
Old 21 Nov 08, 15:40
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99]
Yeah, that'd be good! And maybe also to the Pz.Kpfw. I, II, and III.
Old 21 Nov 08, 19:54
Australia
Distinguished Service Award - 2nd Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
If the Tiger and Panzer IV stickied why not this ?
Good question, how could I have overlooked this? (tsk tsk; smacks self on wrist)

I'll see what I can arrange.
"England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)
Old 25 Nov 08, 10:26
General of the Forums
Wales
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Good question, how could I have overlooked this? (tsk tsk; smacks self on wrist)

I'll see what I can arrange.
Not stickied yet ?
Old 25 Nov 08, 15:26
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
Not stickied yet ?
Sorry, got distracted by other stuff.
I have just posted a request in the Staff Room, so hopefully we should see a result before too long.
Old 25 Nov 08, 21:01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

I hope it works!
Old 26 Nov 08, 07:58
Australia

Quote:
Sorry, got distracted by other stuff.
I have just posted a request in the Staff Room, so hopefully we should see a result before too long.
Senior staff have approved this in principle but I've been asked to get an OK from the host, George Parada, as well. Be patient, guys.
Old 26 Nov 08, 08:18
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Okay!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!