StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Weider Hosting > RKKA (The Russian Army) in World War II

Notices and Announcements

RKKA (The Russian Army) in World War II Discuss the Russian armed forces in World War II. Hosted by our resident Russian expert, AMVAS. Please visit his RKKA in WW2 Website.

View Poll Results: What's your favorite Soviet light tank or tankette?
BT-7 or previous BT series 2 11.11%
T-26 and/or variants 4 22.22%
T-80 0 0%
T-70 6 33.33%
T-60 1 5.56%
T-50 1 5.56%
T-40 3 16.67%
T-38 0 0%
T-27 0 0%
T-18 0 0%
Other! (specify) 0 0%
Tank-NI (Na Ispug) 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 Jan 08, 01:01
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 

Emil_G has demonstrated strength of character [100] Emil_G has demonstrated strength of character [100] Emil_G has demonstrated strength of character [100] Emil_G has demonstrated strength of character [100] Emil_G has demonstrated strength of character [100] Emil_G has demonstrated strength of character [100] Emil_G has demonstrated strength of character [100] Emil_G has demonstrated strength of character [100] Emil_G has demonstrated strength of character [100] Emil_G has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Post Favorite Russian light tank?

Vote for your favorite Soviet tin-can and say why! Just for fun.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 13 Jan 08, 02:21
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Question Emil G

Not quibbling, but would that really mean the best, or, really your "favorite"? Which might mean not the best from what people "like".......

Cheers, any thoughts?

Tom
Old 13 Jan 08, 02:38
Lieutenant General
United_States

Emil_G has demonstrated strength of character [100] Emil_G has demonstrated strength of character [100] Emil_G has demonstrated strength of character [100] Emil_G has demonstrated strength of character [100] Emil_G has demonstrated strength of character [100] Emil_G has demonstrated strength of character [100] Emil_G has demonstrated strength of character [100] Emil_G has demonstrated strength of character [100] Emil_G has demonstrated strength of character [100] Emil_G has demonstrated strength of character [100]
no, just your favorite, for whatever reason, I picked Tank-NI just because it's an armored tracktor that looks super funny that scared those nasty Romanians sh*itless during the defense of Odessa.
Old 13 Jan 08, 03:31
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Thumbs up Got ya, I will

"think on" this a bit, then post my vote and thoughts, fair enough for ya?

Cheers, ya gotta love some "poll" action on the forum here!

Tom
Old 13 Jan 08, 06:29
Lieutenant Colonel
Korea
5 Year Service Ribbon 

F4UCorsair has demonstrated strength of character [100] F4UCorsair has demonstrated strength of character [100] F4UCorsair has demonstrated strength of character [100] F4UCorsair has demonstrated strength of character [100] F4UCorsair has demonstrated strength of character [100] F4UCorsair has demonstrated strength of character [100] F4UCorsair has demonstrated strength of character [100] F4UCorsair has demonstrated strength of character [100] F4UCorsair has demonstrated strength of character [100] F4UCorsair has demonstrated strength of character [100]
The T-40 "could have been" what a light tank should be: a small armored vehicle that can go anywhere (amphibious) to conduct recon. Stay small, stay quiet, fire only to suppress a threat, radio back (yes, it had a radio) and leave. Events overwhelmed it (need to push anything looking like a tank into the main battle) at which point less sophisticated, but equally light, tanks were a better ruble per kilo deal. And it is cute.
Old 13 Jan 08, 16:06
Lieutenant General
United_States

Good pick, F4UCorsair! What I like about the T-40 is that unlike it's DP-sproting cousins it boasted a fat DshK as armament!
Old 13 Jan 08, 16:30
Sergeant
France
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Bruno is on the path to success [1-99]
T50 cos' it was armored like a medium.
It's look is funny, it wasn't a very good tank (unreliable engine) but I like it !
A lot of time have been spent to conceive this dead-end tank, a new engine was built, it used torsion bars suspension (new on a Russian tank !), its gun was equal to its opponent's mediums (Pz III).
And Finns did use some !
Good subject for modellers...
Old 13 Jan 08, 16:34
Lieutenant General
United_States

I like the T-50 too, it was like a baby T-34! Definitely one of the toughest of the bunch, engine trouble or not. But yeah only 100's were made I think...
Old 13 Jan 08, 16:37
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Don't know enough about these types, but after reading Jeff's, the T40 looks good to me too! Looked it up and it is indeed a cool little scout tank.
Old 13 Jan 08, 16:42
Lieutenant General
United_States

Whoa! T-40 out of the gates!
Sponsored Links

Old 13 Jan 08, 20:28
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Cmde.Slavyanski is on the path to success [1-99] Cmde.Slavyanski is on the path to success [1-99] Cmde.Slavyanski is on the path to success [1-99] Cmde.Slavyanski is on the path to success [1-99] Cmde.Slavyanski is on the path to success [1-99] Cmde.Slavyanski is on the path to success [1-99] Cmde.Slavyanski is on the path to success [1-99]
The T-40 flying tank, or that one(I can't remember off the top of my head) that could be dropped from a TB-3. I just imagine dropping a tank on a group of soldiers.

If I had to vote I'd go for the BT series, because according to Viktor Suvorov they were some kind of super-weapon, since they could like, you know, go REALLY fast on roads.
Old 13 Jan 08, 22:17
Lieutenant General
United_States

So vote! I'm appalled at the lack of voting so far! C'mon light tanks!!! FUN!

I love the BT's too. Esp. BT-7's. Suvorov also thought the T-38 was a super weapon that was going to fjord all European rivers. Well it had a propeller...hehe, super weapon? Not likely

P.S. I think the T-60 was the the tank the prototype plane was designed for but a T-40 would work too. Sadly I believe all the tests ended badly and the flying tank never materialized.

Last edited by Emil_G; 13 Jan 08 at 22:51..
Old 13 Jan 08, 23:47
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Cmde.Slavyanski is on the path to success [1-99] Cmde.Slavyanski is on the path to success [1-99] Cmde.Slavyanski is on the path to success [1-99] Cmde.Slavyanski is on the path to success [1-99] Cmde.Slavyanski is on the path to success [1-99] Cmde.Slavyanski is on the path to success [1-99] Cmde.Slavyanski is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil_G View Post
So vote! I'm appalled at the lack of voting so far! C'mon light tanks!!! FUN!

I love the BT's too. Esp. BT-7's. Suvorov also thought the T-38 was a super weapon that was going to fjord all European rivers. Well it had a propeller...hehe, super weapon? Not likely

P.S. I think the T-60 was the the tank the prototype plane was designed for but a T-40 would work too. Sadly I believe all the tests ended badly and the flying tank never materialized.
Everything is a superweapon to Suvorov- so long as it doesn't break apart upon rolling off the factory line or removing it from a crate.

What the Lubyanka-NKVD-Stalinist historians never mention, is a secret weapon the Soviet Army had called the Mosin-Nagant. This rifle was known to be VERY durable. It's 7.62x54mm round was so powerful, that it actually exceeds the modern 5.56mm and even .308 caliber rounds used by NATO and US forces today, not only in stopping power but range!!! The rifle was sighted to 1000 meters, making it easy for aggressive Soviet troops to fire up to 1 kilometer into the territory of German-occupied Poland. Imagine that, the supposedly peaceful Soviet Union in the 1930s was armed with a rifle more powerful than those used by American soldiers in Iraq today. Clearly this is yet another smoking gun proving Stalin's intention to invade and conquer Europe.

Luckily the Germans pre-empted this attack with their own invasion, and the Russian soldiers were not able to fight back effectively because they had never been trained to shoot. Soviet plans called for the massive armies to rush the barracks of European forces and shoot their enemy at point blank range.
Old 13 Jan 08, 23:50
Lieutenant General
United_States

better put a :: there, sometimes things get wild here...but yeah, LOL!
Old 14 Jan 08, 00:26
Lieutenant General
United_States

Here's a cool, humorous artist's rendition of a BT-7 I always liked (from http://www.armor.kiev.ua):

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!