HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Revolution

Notices and Announcements

American Revolution 1763-1789 The birth of a new nation - to commence at the Proclaimation of 1763 to the end of the Articles of Confederation.

Old 24 Feb 08, 12:28
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon110 View Post
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum...and truly enjoying it. The uniforms of the American Revolution that I prefer are definitely from the French. I agree with HG that the Saintongue uniform of the 1779 regulation (dark green and white) undoubtedly is amongst the most attractive. My favorites, however, are a German regiment in French service - Royal Deux-Ponts, and the Soissinois Regiment also wearing the 1779 uniform regulations. I have included them in a diorama I am modelling/constructing and painting of Yorktown figures using 54mm collector quality miniatures. Other regiments are under way - See photos below.
Welcome aboard. Good choices.
Old 25 Feb 08, 12:30
Colonel
United_States
March Offensive 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 

mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haken View Post
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/20203...us-024-red.jpg

I really like this uniform. Is it from around the period of the revolutionary war? Or perhaps the French-Indian war?
Can't see it!

I get this:

Can you link to the page that the image is on?
Old 25 Feb 08, 15:05
Recruit
United_States

Napoleon110 is on the path to success [1-99]
Haken,could you please post the picture?,the link does not allow to see it.
merci.
Old 25 Mar 08, 11:48
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Loki is on the path to success [1-99] Loki is on the path to success [1-99] Loki is on the path to success [1-99] Loki is on the path to success [1-99]
The best uniform was none!
Old 25 Mar 08, 12:39
Colonel
United_States
March Offensive 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 

mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
The best uniform was none!
How true that is, even today!

(Gets a bit cold in the winter, though.)
Sponsored Links

Old 11 Nov 09, 02:45
Corporal
United_States

TM2(SW/AW) is on the path to success [1-99]
Don't have a picture of it, but I would say, the Continental Navy has the best uniforms. But, however, I'm biased, since I spent 20 years in the U.S. Navy.
Old 24 Dec 09, 02:33
Recruit
United_States

federalfire22 is a balanced individual [0]
Tarleton's British Legion

Does anyone have a picture of Tarleton's British Legion uniform?
Old 24 Dec 09, 10:28
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award 

HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by federalfire22 View Post
Does anyone have a picture of Tarleton's British Legion uniform?
Here's some Don Troiani images:

Old 24 Dec 09, 12:12
General of the Forums
United_States
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Don't know if this has been posted before but here's a link to a whole list of uniforms: http://www.srcalifornia.com/srselect2.htm

Just go over to the Colonial Uniform tab and have at it.
Old 24 Dec 09, 12:34
Brigadier General
United_States

TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100]
There is something crisp and polished about their uniform of the day. Too bad at least the dress uniform isn't akin to this today.
Old 24 Dec 09, 15:52
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award 

HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200]
I really like the early war British "light bob" uniforms:

Light Infantry Company 5th Regiment of Foot 1775

Old 27 Dec 09, 16:50
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

ChrisF1987 has demonstrated strength of character [100] ChrisF1987 has demonstrated strength of character [100] ChrisF1987 has demonstrated strength of character [100] ChrisF1987 has demonstrated strength of character [100] ChrisF1987 has demonstrated strength of character [100] ChrisF1987 has demonstrated strength of character [100] ChrisF1987 has demonstrated strength of character [100] ChrisF1987 has demonstrated strength of character [100] ChrisF1987 has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
For those of you interested in the uniforms of the American Revolution there's is a new book to be released in April titled "An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Uniforms of the American War of Independence." Amazon gives a few previews of the pages.
Excellent book. Tons of amazing color paintings and CGI illustrations of uniforms, weapons, buttons, flags, etc. There is also a similar book for the Napoleonic Wars and one coming out in March 2010 about the mid 1800s - 1914 era covering the uniforms of the ACW, Boer War, Crimea, etc
Old 29 Dec 09, 22:38
Recruit
United_States

federalfire22 is a balanced individual [0]
Thank You

Thank you everyone for your help! I am in the process of painting a 15mm army for war gaming, I have decided on the Battle of Cowpens. All the uniform help you all are providing is great.

Those books also seem like a great resource. I have the osprey men at arms series but these resources seem very promising.
Old 30 Dec 09, 11:35
General of the Forums
United_States

Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Uniforms

If you need any assistance with uniforms let me know. I'll be glad to help as much as I can. Just send me an email through the forum and I can scan and send the units you need.

Sincerely,
M

'Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it.'

'The best revenge is not to do as they do.'
-Marcus Aurelius
Old 30 Dec 09, 19:00
Captain
United_States

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
got a picture of the 71st or for the New York Volunteers?
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!