StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Maps and Topography

Notices and Announcements

Maps and Topography Information and links to maps and map resources.

Old 06 Dec 07, 08:30
Private
Bosnia

Gurra is on the path to success [1-99]
Maps from Grenada!

I am very interested in military history and the invasion of Grenada, are there any good military maps out there? Any link or anything else that can help me in my research about this short campaign.
Gurra
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 07 Dec 07, 14:49
General
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

the_redstar_swl has disabled reputation
Don't know if its accurate but I found this.
Old 09 Dec 07, 15:32
Brigadier General
Sweden
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 

Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurra View Post
I am very interested in military history and the invasion of Grenada, are there any good military maps out there? Any link or anything else that can help me in my research about this short campaign.
Gurra
The maps used during the campaign could not be that hard to get hold of. The poor soldiers going in as the entry force only had out of date tourist maps. They soon proved just as worthless as you could imagine. Soldiers and Tourist have rathre different preferences on what is important to put on a map.
Old 09 Dec 07, 15:52
Banned
United_States

Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700]
http://www.dean.usma.edu/history/web...20map%2052.htm
Old 09 Dec 07, 16:48
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Model Forum Group Build Victor Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pergite View Post
The maps used during the campaign could not be that hard to get hold of. The poor soldiers going in as the entry force only had out of date tourist maps. They soon proved just as worthless as you could imagine. Soldiers and Tourist have rathre different preferences on what is important to put on a map.
Sounds like France 1940. The Werhmacht used Michalien maps to find their way around.
Old 10 Dec 07, 01:08
Colonel
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 

mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200] mirrorshades is walking in the light [200]
What's the infantry unit to the far east and north, just south of SEAL Team 4? Appears to be 2nd Battalion, but of what? As near as I can figure, that would have been the primary area for the 22nd Marine Amphibious Unit, but the designation seems to indicate 8th something or other (regiment/brigade?).
Old 18 Nov 13, 09:08
Private
United_States

Fender Rhodes is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorshades View Post
What's the infantry unit to the far east and north, just south of SEAL Team 4? Appears to be 2nd Battalion, but of what? As near as I can figure, that would have been the primary area for the 22nd Marine Amphibious Unit, but the designation seems to indicate 8th something or other (regiment/brigade?).
2nd Battalion, 8th Marines.
Old 21 Nov 13, 01:43
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
Maps were printed up back at Fort Bragg, As I recall, there was a mixup regarding two towns, so another set of maps had to be run off. The whole operation was put together over a long weekend and security was tight. Our point of contact was a Major working at the desk across from mine, and I had no inkling of what was going on until I got called tor report for duty at the 1st SOCOM TOC.

The population of the Island was totally in support of the invasion and there were a lot of stories than came out that boggled a lot of minds in Washington. Phone calls back to the States for air support, etc. Plots to secure all the captured weapons and spirit them off to a secret location on Fort Bragg for Black Op use, etc. Lack of Spanish interpreters to deal with the Cubans, leading one primary staff officer to recruit a Cuban officer to serve in the capacity and putting him in civilian clothes. At least a few of those stories turned out to be true.

Intel could have been better. All reports and rumors were presumed to be true, including one that a North Korean anti-aircraft battery was set up on one of the islands off Grenada. The residents were sure surprised when the 82nd Abn arrived on their little island fully loaded for bear. Adult supervision on the Intel side was sorely needed. Overall, it was not a well run operation and a lot of lessons were re-learned.

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!
Old 10 Jan 14, 18:04
Major
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99]
The maps weren't the only things fowled up during Urgent Fury lets not forget the communications were FUBARED as well. You had Marines, Rangers and other forces using pay phones to call FT Bragg or Camp Leijune for anything from fire support to resupply. It seem the lesson of Desert one or Market Garden were still being learned the hard way the good thing was very few American troops were killed.
Old 10 Jan 14, 18:12
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava188 View Post
The maps weren't the only things fowled up during Urgent Fury lets not forget the communications were FUBARED as well. You had Marines, Rangers and other forces using pay phones to call FT Bragg or Camp Leijune for anything from fire support to resupply. It seem the lesson of Desert one or Market Garden were still being learned the hard way the good thing was very few American troops were killed.
Last minute changes didn't help matters much.
No lie.

~
"Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!