StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 19 Mar 08, 22:12
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I think I'm going to pull out Ambush next week. Start a chronological campaign for all the modules. I loved that game 20(?) years ago.
Old 22 Mar 08, 11:02
Recruit
United_States

BadAxe43055 is a balanced individual [0]
Many

I have alot of old Avalon Hill games,plus many others of the same type. Getting people to actually play is the hardest part about them.
Old 22 Mar 08, 11:30
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Brummbar33 is on the path to success [1-99] Brummbar33 is on the path to success [1-99] Brummbar33 is on the path to success [1-99] Brummbar33 is on the path to success [1-99] Brummbar33 is on the path to success [1-99] Brummbar33 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
I think I'm going to pull out Ambush next week. Start a chronological campaign for all the modules. I loved that game 20(?) years ago.
I just pulled my copy out yesterday. Ambush is the only one of that series that I still have though.

Last edited by Brummbar33; 22 Mar 08 at 12:57..
Old 22 Mar 08, 12:41
Major General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kenneally View Post
I want to know what old Avalon Hill games people are still playing.

I still enjoy playing "Blitzkrieg" with a good opponent.

Even after a few beers, it can be very entertaining.
If you remove the word "Even" from the previous sentence, it can apply to anything.

But seriously folks (well, sorta seriously), I picked up PanzerBlitz for $10 about a year ago because I HAD to have it in my collection. Played a little solitaire and there it sits on the shelf....next to my copy of "Battle of the Bulge" which was the second wargame I ever played, <sniff>. Um, depending on whether or not you classify "Risk" as a wargame.

Played "Storm Over Arnhem" recently and had a laugh riot, and have played "Up Front" a few times over the last couple of years.

Did I mention that Up Front may be the best wargame design on the planet?

Tim
Old 25 Mar 08, 12:05
First Lieutenant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Parasocko is on the path to success [1-99] Parasocko is on the path to success [1-99] Parasocko is on the path to success [1-99] Parasocko is on the path to success [1-99] Parasocko is on the path to success [1-99]
I still play B17, and own Storm over Arnhem, France 1940, Air Aassault on Crete, Richtofens War, Luftwaffe, Jutland, Guadalcanal and Arab Israeli Wars
Old 25 Mar 08, 12:13
General of the Forums
United_States

dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by armor11 View Post
If you remove the word "Even" from the previous sentence, it can apply to anything.

But seriously folks (well, sorta seriously), I picked up PanzerBlitz for $10 about a year ago because I HAD to have it in my collection. Played a little solitaire and there it sits on the shelf....next to my copy of "Battle of the Bulge" which was the second wargame I ever played, <sniff>. Um, depending on whether or not you classify "Risk" as a wargame.

Played "Storm Over Arnhem" recently and had a laugh riot, and have played "Up Front" a few times over the last couple of years.

Did I mention that Up Front may be the best wargame design on the planet?

Tim
Me and some buddies still play Panzerblitz by mail/e-mail if you are

interested . Takes much time but still fun when games are umpired.
Old 25 Mar 08, 17:11
Major General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Roadkiller is simply cracking [600]
Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600]
And don't forget Vassal! http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php

Play live over the internet, or PBEM. Lots of modules means someone has already done all the hard work for you, so load up and play!
Old 25 Mar 08, 21:45
ACG Senior Online Editor
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Blitzpuppy is on the path to success [1-99] Blitzpuppy is on the path to success [1-99] Blitzpuppy is on the path to success [1-99]
Red face

Ah, AH. I got into wargaming with their 1961 or '63 game Civil War, which I found at a Western Auto store one Christmas. Later bought their Gettysburg, along with a lot of Milton Bradley titles in my game-spent youth. I even remember the original promo letter for PanzerBlitz. It contained instructions on how to fold the envelope to send in your order, instructions that ended with, "If you still haven't figured out how to fold the envelope, don't worry about it. You probably couldn't play PanzerBlitz anyway." Anybody remember the first run of Squad Leader that was printed in the wrong color? It was purple, as I recall.
Old 26 Mar 08, 20:18
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Thumbs up Nice relpy Blitzpuppy

Glad to see you here, the more I find out about what I've been missing in the past, the more interesting it gets for me.

Cheers, you might even consider joining us in the next ASL game for some interesting times as well, if your so inclined.

Tom
Old 03 Jul 08, 11:04
Major
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Johnny_BoomBoom is on the path to success [1-99] Johnny_BoomBoom is on the path to success [1-99] Johnny_BoomBoom is on the path to success [1-99] Johnny_BoomBoom is on the path to success [1-99] Johnny_BoomBoom is on the path to success [1-99] Johnny_BoomBoom is on the path to success [1-99] Johnny_BoomBoom is on the path to success [1-99]
In my loft I have :-

3rd Reich (my mates and I used to play that a lot even up to our mid 20's....which was a wee while ago)
Air Force and also the expansion Dauntless

I also have a share in Advanced 3rd Reich and Rising Sun - although never played the Rising Sun bit....

Victory in the Pacific

Have also played :-

War at Sea
Flat Top
Squad Leader
Sponsored Links

Old 12 Jul 08, 21:30
Corporal
United_States

MCranmer is on the path to success [1-99]
Still have quite a few old AH games, but since there are few other gamers around here I mostly concentrate on the solitare stuff - B17 and Patton's Best. Both great games.
Old 20 Jul 08, 08:34
Private First Class
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Stephen Hicks is on the path to success [1-99]
I got a copy of Up Front about three years ago...just reading the rules now
Wooden Ships Iron men, Ricthoftens War, AF, Dauntless, PB/PL.....but ASL is described as a harsh mistress and absorbs 90% of my board gaming.
Old 23 Jul 08, 09:43
Private
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Jeff S is on the path to success [1-99]
For AH games, my favorites are Panzerblitz, Jutland, and Blitzkrieg.

Panzerblitz may not be the most realistic tactical game, but I like the scale, and it plays like a military chess. I have a bunch of new boards from Imaginative Strategist, and the Wargamers Guide, and The Boardgamer Special Issue for dozens of scenarios. My favorite scenarios are the Prochorovka scenarios from The Boardgamer.

I have a regular gaming club (www.jerseygamers.com) , but not many like the old AH games. The club seems to go with the newest fashions.

I also like a lot of GDW games. I have a bunch of Europa titles, as well as all of Third World War, and the Assault series.
Old 14 Aug 08, 14:55
Private First Class
Pirate

Jawbreaker is on the path to success [1-99]
Squad Leader, Third Riech, and B17 though I do most of B17 with the emulator now instead of the board game. I began running out of record sheets.
Old 07 Sep 08, 13:47
Private
England

Banzaimonk is on the path to success [1-99]
My first ever ever ever wargame, was bought by a shipmate, when HMS Lowestoft was visiting Bermadu! He bought a battered boxed copy of 1914, for $2 in the P.X.
This led to purchases of Panzerblitz and Blitzkrieg. Played 'em to death! Also played Midway... Caesar at Alesia... but to my regret, I loaned someone my copy of Jutland, and never got it back!
I played (but never owned a copy of) Wooden Ships and Iron Men (but like a lot, hated the tediousness of record keeping...)

I was a recipient, for many years, of S.P.I. magazines, with their enclosed games, and have a total of in excess of 100 board and map games, somewhere up in my loft!
Can't bear to part with them! LOL

Although I'd agree with some of you that some games are for the younger player, and some are darned big, and hugely complex....that's part of the fun ain't it? there's something for everyone! young? old? those with time on their hands...and those who can spare but an hour or so....

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!