StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 10 Dec 07, 12:31
Sergeant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 

OhioBoardGamer is on the path to success [1-99]
Yesterday Afternoon, I took the Allies and defeated my friend as the Germans in the Basic Scenario. Landed at Salerno and then later at Anzio.

One of my favorite games ... Have all editions plus the new maps ... awaiting for a new edition that will include the invasion in Sicily ...

Next up ...

Last edited by OhioBoardGamer; 10 Dec 07 at 12:37..
Old 14 Dec 07, 20:11
Private
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

kjuice is on the path to success [1-99]
I have 37 AH games, not counting VG games. Have not played any in some time.
But I look forward to trying Bitter Woods.
Old 14 Dec 07, 20:51
Colonel
United_States

Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Noticed something

I have noticed that AH used only a Blue/Red color for most of the games produced in the 1960 for counters and charts.

Blue for Good and Red for the Bad....

Anyone see the "Cold War" comparison?
Old 14 Dec 07, 23:25
Banned
United_States
March Offensive Summer Campaign 

Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99]
I have Panzer Leader but I prefer the new Panzergrenadier, which offers more variety and historical realism.

I do look forward to AP's remade WW1 tactical game though.
Old 15 Dec 07, 19:51
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampwolf View Post
I have Panzer Leader but I prefer the new Panzergrenadier, which offers more variety and historical realism.

I do look forward to AP's remade WW1 tactical game though.
Panzer Grenadier is fantastic. I just strated playing the games. I do have to give the nod to the old AH mounted game boards, though. No chit-style games that I have seen these days comes close to that quality; although the laminated game boards are nice in their own right.

Tide of Iron game boards are amazing quality.
Sponsored Links

Old 15 Dec 07, 19:56
Banned
United_States
March Offensive Summer Campaign 

Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99]
Unfortunately, if you like mounted boards, you are out of luck these days. Personally I am happy enough if the maps are good looking. They still fit under plexiglass. It's a pain to play without it, especially on counter-heavy GMT games.

A side note - GMT is getting pretty big. They may be the next Avalon Hill and then thirty years from now we'll all be hunting them down or playing remakes.
Old 15 Dec 07, 20:14
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Its a good point! The mapboards today are much better looking (have you checked out Lock N' Loads:Band of Heroes? Gorgeous, and a very nice game system).

I got a great idea from seeing this plastic material my Mom-in Law uses on an indoor wrought-iron patio furniture table. It's clear plastic, and rolls up. You can find it in fabric stores. Works real well onto of gameboards that come folded, like the Axis & Allies Miniatures gameboard.
Old 17 Dec 07, 19:14
Captain
United_States

BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100]
There's a copy of Banzai!, new in shrink wrap, for sale on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Banzai-Up-Front-...QQcmdZViewItem

Starting bid is $105. Buy it now for $110 or so.
Old 17 Dec 07, 20:32
General of the Forums
Canada

LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayonetBrant View Post
There's a copy of Banzai!, new in shrink wrap, for sale on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Banzai-Up-Front-...QQcmdZViewItem

Starting bid is $105. Buy it now for $110 or so.
That sort of thing never fails to blow me away. Considering I have it, and the base game as well as the Desert module as well.
Old 19 Dec 07, 18:44
Colonel
United_States

Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
That sort of thing never fails to blow me away. Considering I have it, and the base game as well as the Desert module as well.
I remember someone had those three items for sale one time on ebay (about 8 years ago). They sold for $40 total. I just wish I jnew then what I know now. I would have bought all three for at least $50.
Old 21 Jan 08, 22:31
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Good 'ol AH! I think I played, and at one time owned, virtually every game they published, starting out with Tactics II, while still in High School.

My perennial favorite, for a quick and dirty evenings play, was Battle of the Bulge. Been meaning to get back into that particular game, but haven't done it yet.

My recent interest has been updating Panzerblitz and Panzer Leader, curtesy of the fine folks at "Imaginative Strategist" who have kindly provided literally thousands of new and redone unit counters as well as new geomorphic maps.

Never really satisfied with the rules as they were published, I have spent considerable time and effort in redoing the rules of PB/PL to make them common to both games, to help with solitare play, to make the CRT a bit more realistic (and not so bloody) and to make the combat a little more realistic without making the rules so complex as to make them unplayable.

The most time consuming has been, of course, making up thousands of game counters, representing all the Armies of WW II, to the point where putting a Division in the field, with supporting units, is no problem.

Play testing goes on, but the final product is within reach, perhaps by the end of February.

In answer to one post above, there was/is a France '40 variant, as well as a "Paraleader" variant and a number of Russia vs Finland '39 scenarios.

Being retired has it's benefits!

GG

P.S. If one is interested in the counters offered by "Imaginative Strategist", check out their websight. There is also a gentleman on ebay who makes up the various Armies' counter sets, mounts them and has them ready to go. (Saves boo-koo time and well worth the price.) //ebay; Games; Avalon Hill//

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Last edited by Grognard Gunny; 21 Jan 08 at 22:35..
Old 17 Mar 08, 02:41
Recruit
United_States

ddm_aka_t34c is on the path to success [1-99]
I had nearly all the AH classics way back when. Left most of them at my mother's house in California in the late 'seventies when I moved to the midwest to go to graduate school.

I started a new collection in the 'eighties and it has followed me through several moves, but the classics weren't part of it until I started buying them second hand on E-bay a few years ago. Now once again I have Midway, Afrika Korps, Anzio, 1914, Luftwaffe, Richtofen's War, 1776, and Third Reich. Maybe some day I'll actually play them again.

I never owned Russian Campaign until I bought a good used copy of the second edition on E-Bay. Darned if I didn't end up playing that one more than all the other games in my collection combined -- at least for a while.

Then there's PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader. I owned both, left them in California, but bought them back again (three copies of Panzer Leader, no less) on E-Bay. Now I play quite a bit of both, thanks to VASSAL.
Old 17 Mar 08, 10:40
General of the Forums
United_States

dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm_aka_t34c View Post
I had nearly all the AH classics way back when. Left most of them at my mother's house in California in the late 'seventies when I moved to the midwest to go to graduate school.

I started a new collection in the 'eighties and it has followed me through several moves, but the classics weren't part of it until I started buying them second hand on E-bay a few years ago. Now once again I have Midway, Afrika Korps, Anzio, 1914, Luftwaffe, Richtofen's War, 1776, and Third Reich. Maybe some day I'll actually play them again.

I never owned Russian Campaign until I bought a good used copy of the second edition on E-Bay. Darned if I didn't end up playing that one more than all the other games in my collection combined -- at least for a while.

Then there's PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader. I owned both, left them in California, but bought them back again (three copies of Panzer Leader, no less) on E-Bay. Now I play quite a bit of both, thanks to VASSAL.
Sounds like you are a diehard . If you are still interested in playing some
h2h Panzerblitz/PanzerLeader by mail/e-mail just let me know .
Old 18 Mar 08, 05:02
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Brummbar33 is on the path to success [1-99] Brummbar33 is on the path to success [1-99] Brummbar33 is on the path to success [1-99] Brummbar33 is on the path to success [1-99] Brummbar33 is on the path to success [1-99] Brummbar33 is on the path to success [1-99]
I have a whole shelf full of old AH games. Many other's too.

The one I played last was Devil's Den.
Old 19 Mar 08, 21:12
General of the Forums
United_States

Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The one I played last was Devil's Den.

Huzzah!!

I had that game out just last week, it was one of my favorites! For WWII, I also liked their Bulge game. Fun but not complicated.

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!