StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 25 Nov 07, 18:49
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGPanzerschrecK View Post
You never know when your gonna find a bargain though.

In '92 i went with my buddy to a yard sale to pick up his mom. I never go yard sale'ing BTW. It must of been fate i guess because when i got there they had a brand new, still in its shrink wrap, copy of Arab Israeli Wars. I got it for the paltry sum of 5 dollars lol.

3 weeks later i go to a toy store in the town up the road from me that was going out of buisness. I had been in there 100's of times over the years and i never, ever saw any Avalon Hill games for sale in there. Its their last day of their going out of buisness sale and im in there about an hour before they close. I walk to the back of the store and low and behold they have a handful of classic AH games, i buy all of them for 2 bucks a piece! Victory in the Pacific, another copy of Arab Israeli Wars {I now have 3 copies lol}, Tactics II and Luftwaffe.

And finally about 2 months ago i got incontact with a guy here on these very forums who had a mint original 1st addition copy of 1776 and i picked that up for only 20 dollars, and that included shipping.

Yes i have been very lucky over the years, and i hope it continues.
That IS lucky indeed! Way to go.

EBay seems the best place to hunt down a bargain, these days. There's a hobby shop a few towns over from me that has recycled AH games they've put in shrink. The prices are upwards of $80 on some of these! I wonder if they get any fish?
Old 26 Nov 07, 01:28
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign - Winner! 

KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterook View Post
That IS lucky indeed! Way to go.

EBay seems the best place to hunt down a bargain, these days. There's a hobby shop a few towns over from me that has recycled AH games they've put in shrink. The prices are upwards of $80 on some of these! I wonder if they get any fish?
Belive it or not id pay 80 smackers for a game if its something ive always wanted but could never get my hands on, like for instance the first expansion to "Up Front" called "Banzai". There are a few others as well. Like another copy of VITP. Im missing a few counters....
Old 28 Nov 07, 20:00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGPanzerschrecK View Post
Belive it or not id pay 80 smackers for a game if its something ive always wanted but could never get my hands on, like for instance the first expansion to "Up Front" called "Banzai". There are a few others as well. Like another copy of VITP. Im missing a few counters....
Ah, we are a lot alike, Grasshopper! I honestly have no problem shelling out some coin for good quality games, though it can take a bit to save up for some of these. I look longingly at AH's "The Longest Day" every now and then....I'll see a shrink-wrapped copy on EBay going for a rediculous price, but I'll jump in some day just he same. So far, the few games I've purchased that claimed they were in original shrink panned out to be the original shrink...not re-done.
Old 03 Dec 07, 21:16
First Sergeant
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Outrider is on the path to success [1-99] Outrider is on the path to success [1-99] Outrider is on the path to success [1-99]
First post other than the intro page, so hello...used to have Panzer Leader, Luftwaffe, and the full Squad Leader series...currently watching copies of Panzer Leader and Panzerblitz on Ebay...would like to play both again with the additional maps I've seen. Also would like to try MBT. I may put on hold to get into "A Victory Lost" from Multiman. Several of their upcoming titles look great as well.
Old 03 Dec 07, 21:57
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign SPQR Campaign 

Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Post Panzer Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
First post other than the intro page, so hello...used to have Panzer Leader, Luftwaffe, and the full Squad Leader series...currently watching copies of Panzer Leader and Panzerblitz on Ebay...would like to play both again with the additional maps I've seen. Also would like to try MBT. I may put on hold to get into "A Victory Lost" from Multiman. Several of their upcoming titles look great as well.
Panzer Leader kicks ass. Red Skull has it, and it still plays pretty good. Avalon Hill games are always at least semi-workable, though some of the rules are a little complex. Good stuff....
"This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG
Old 04 Dec 07, 13:24
Sergeant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 

OhioBoardGamer is on the path to success [1-99]
Play them all ... ALL the time ...

Favorites are RUSSIAN CAMPAIGN, ANZIO, 3RD REICH ...

Don't forget Midway, Battle of the Bulge, Waterloo Afrika Korps

and many more ... First wargame ever was MIDWAY, first game purchased with my own money was PANZER LEADER ...

-----------------------------------------

Here are a couple being played at our club on November 2nd.

and on the 16th

Old 04 Dec 07, 17:21
Private
United_States

Jeff S is on the path to success [1-99]
I too get to play twice a month at my club here in NJ. Don't the rest of you have clubs nearby to play these great games? Not only are the games fun, but the cameraderie is a big draw too.

My club is the Jersey Association of Gamers. I also know of CABS in OH as posted previously; there's EPGS near Philadelphia; and the Chitkickers in NYC. And that's just here in the northeast.

Lately, I've been playing more tactical games including Panzerblitz, GDW's Assault series, and I just picked up Lock N Load's World at War: Eisenbach Gap. At JAG's last meeting we had games of Assault, Hannibal, Panzergrenadier, 1960, and some lighter games as well.
Old 04 Dec 07, 19:36
Sergeant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 

OhioBoardGamer is on the path to success [1-99]
DABS ... Dayton Area Boardgaming Society

TABS ... Toronto Area Boardgaming Society

BOGA ... Boardgamer of Greater Akron

GCOM ... Game Clubs of Maryland

NGA ... Northcost Gamers Association

JABS ... Jackson (MS) Area Boardgaming Society

and many many more ... Check the web ... search Google ... Look at the guilds on Boardgamegeek.com ... Look at the club section on CONSIMWORLD.com

You are not alone !!!

If you are in the Columbus area - join us ... I live in Circleville ...

Now if you like OCS ......

Last edited by OhioBoardGamer; 04 Dec 07 at 19:38..
Old 05 Dec 07, 14:27
First Sergeant
United_States

Outrider is on the path to success [1-99] Outrider is on the path to success [1-99] Outrider is on the path to success [1-99]
Is OCS the Operational Command Series from The Gamers now published by Multiman? Sorry, I'm a noob on the forums...I was going to open a new thread regarding games from Multiman Publishing, but wasn't sure if it has been acovered topic. Specifically, I am going to get a copy of A Victory Lost...does anyone play it? I've heard it's great. Oh, I am starting to look for gamers in my area. (Pittsburgh)
Old 05 Dec 07, 17:46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
Welcome aboard Outrider!

Panzer Learder and Panzerblitz are classics....the latter being one of the first chit-style games I played back when. I seem to remember there was a 1940 Variant for Panzer Leader, you might want to keep an eye out for on EBay as well.
Sponsored Links

Old 05 Dec 07, 17:54
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBoardGamer View Post
Play them all ... ALL the time ...

Favorites are RUSSIAN CAMPAIGN, ANZIO, 3RD REICH ...

Don't forget Midway, Battle of the Bulge, Waterloo Afrika Korps

and many more ... First wargame ever was MIDWAY, first game purchased with my own money was PANZER LEADER ...

-----------------------------------------

Here are a couple being played at our club on November 2nd.

and on the 16th

I went to Origins for the first time this past summer....I was very impressed with the CABS folks there. I couldn't imagine an organization of that size in my area. I had no clue how to use my Board and WarRoom ribbons, and had myself WAY overscheduled on events. Didn't know anything about CABS, and their contribution to that convention. (Origins did not have the most user friendly site in the world, though they seem to have made some nice changes this lately). This year, I'll be spending the majority of my time in those rooms.
Old 06 Dec 07, 19:23
Banned
United_States
March Offensive 

OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Sadly, I am one of those who "had" to sell all my old AH games because of moving, so I don't have any left.

Back in the day...so many memories...favorite was ASL, of course. I used to go to every convention in L.A. Other favorites:

Gunslinger and Gladiator: So many late night sessions with many friends and many bottles of Chivas Regal. We used to make our own scenarios, with one of the favorites being a "bar room brawl." No guns, just knives, bottles, chairs, and fists.

Up Front/Banzai: Quick, fun, nice-looking components. Great game!

D-Day, Afrika Korps, Gettysburg, Battle of the Bulge, all the classics...these are where I cut my gaming teeth.

Flat Top: A monster game that we only managed to play a couple times, but damn it was fun.

Honorable mentions to Victory Games (Gulf Strike, Aegean Strike, Vietnam, Central America) and the "solitaire gang" (Raid on St. Nazaire, Patton's Best, B-17, Ambush, Mosby's Raiders).
Old 06 Dec 07, 23:32
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Raid on St. Nazaire is one of my favorites!!!
Old 10 Dec 07, 12:58
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The AH Starship Troopers was a good game, I used to have alot of fun with that. I still have two copies in my stash. The only one I still mess with on my own is Devil's Den, although looking at that picture of those two guys playing battle of the bulge brings back memories.

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)
Old 10 Dec 07, 13:07
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok View Post
The AH Starship Troopers was a good game, I used to have alot of fun with that. I still have two copies in my stash. The only one I still mess with on my own is Devil's Den, although looking at that picture of those two guys playing battle of the bulge brings back memories.
Heck yeah! Although the organization was a little frightful, 1 piece equaling one man made for huge small scale engagements.

Admittedly, I prefer fewer pieces in a game, since my idea of a fun evening is playing several short games, rather than one long one.

The movie based board game sucks, though. Avalon Hill 4 life!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!