StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 08 Nov 07, 12:34
General of the Forums
Hungary
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Carroll View Post
I've heard stories like that from miniaturists for decades. They worried me so much that I never actually got into minis. Wanted to, but never could quite decide what period I was really interested in -- enough to dedicate my life (or some big portion of it) to.
<lots of good stuff snipped>
Yeah, but next time you get a wargame going, get your head down low next to the table and look at your game. Then next time you see someone gaming with miniatures, or just operating an HO train set do the same thing.

It's the beauty of it all that attracts me to miniatures, especially medievals, which I do, and napoleonics, which I've been tempted to do for years.

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
http://www.mormon.org
http://www.sca.org
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.scouting.org/
Old 08 Nov 07, 12:38
First Sergeant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

alanp is on the path to success [1-99] alanp is on the path to success [1-99] alanp is on the path to success [1-99] alanp is on the path to success [1-99]
From time to time:
Wooden Ships & Iron Men
Waterloo
The Russian Campaign

Never got into PL/PB; at the same time I got those, I also got Third Reich and Squad Leader which fit so much better to my 'gaming needs/interests' that PL/PB fell by the wayside.
Old 08 Nov 07, 13:20
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos View Post
Yeah, but next time you get a wargame going, get your head down low next to the table and look at your game. Then next time you see someone gaming with miniatures, or just operating an HO train set do the same thing.

It's the beauty of it all that attracts me to miniatures, especially medievals, which I do, and napoleonics, which I've been tempted to do for years.
That reminds me of the very first miniatures game I ever saw -- at a convention in Grass Valley, CA, in May 1972. It was a NATO-Warsaw Pact game with some pretty realistic-looking terrain. And the players used some kind of military-surplus viewfinder or periscope to get down-close views of what was going on on the tabletop.

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)
Old 08 Nov 07, 16:46
Captain
United_States

BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Panzer Leader
Squad Leader
occasionally 3rd Reich
occasionally Wooden Ships & Iron Men (hate the record-keeping tho)

I generally prefer older SPI games to older AH games, though.
ModQuads
NATO
Sinai
among others
Old 10 Nov 07, 03:48
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign - Winner! 

KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200]
Im lucky to have found an opponent again a year or so ago.

The original Squad Leader series, who needs ASL?
B-17, Queen of the Skies, Made color copies of everything so we could play as team mates.
Up Front
Circus Maximus
Arab Israeli Wars, 3 copies makes for some great battles
Panzerblitz
Panzerleader
Panzer Armee Afrika
Luftwaffe
Firepower
Hitlers War
3rd Reich
Victory In The Pacific
Starship Troopers

Form Victory Games -
Hells Highway
Vietnam
Korean War

Last edited by KGPanzerschrecK; 10 Nov 07 at 03:50..
Sponsored Links

Old 11 Nov 07, 11:16
General of the Forums
Canada

LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
"Playing" is a subjective term with me these days.

I will instead list my AH titles I have no desire to get rid of right now instead.

SL/ASL
Panzer Blitz/Leader
Advanced Third Reich
The Longest Day
Patton's Best

I own these as well.
Russian Front
Russian Campaign
Anzio
Africa Korps
But they are here mostly because I own them (hey they're mine after all ).

But in truth, my time likely belongs to my Nintendo DS, and Panzer Tactics is currently owning my DS.

I would gift my left nut to get Squad Leader on a DS.
Old 11 Nov 07, 15:18
ACG Forums - Morale Officer
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kenneally View Post
I still enjoy playing "Blitzkrieg" with a good opponent.
The Great Koufax Desert I think it's called.
Red vs. Blue.
Equal balance between the armies.
What unbridled fun!
It was the second board game like that I ever played.
The first was Tactics II, with the squares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kenneally View Post
Even after a few beers, it can be very entertaining.
Oh boy...
A fellow gamer, beer, pizza, and a good board game...what a combo.
Throw in some magazines, and books related to the game to look at and discuss while playing, and you're in business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
The Russian Campaign on the bookshelf.
My copy is on the bookshelf too.
In fact, I think now I'll take it down and look at it today.
Especially the stuka pieces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Of course with any game I have the most fun setting up.
I'm sort of like that.
I'll look at the boards and the counters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
I still play PanzerBlitz by mail on occasion.
Good for you, Duncan.
That's nice to hear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
the 60's version of D-Day,
I got a lot of mileage out of that game.
My copy has pizza stains on the board.
I think its pizza stains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout32 View Post
The only AH board game I have left is Fortress Europa.
Great game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout32 View Post
Third Reich
I can't play it.
I wanted to, but can't.
Too hard.
On the Avalon Hill difficulty scale its a ten.
I used to know guys who soloed it.
Unbelievable.
That should be a ribbon here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Carroll View Post
I have fond memories of 'em, but that's all that's left. Sold all my AH games (and a huge collection of "The General") about seven years ago when I was moving. Knew I'd never play 'em again, and couldn't see hanging on to 'em just for nostalgia's sake.
What?
I actually feel a tightness in my chest.
All those games...
I know...I threw out Marx Army Men, Mad Magazines, Topps Baseball cards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGPanzerschrecK View Post
B-17, Queen of the Skies,
Fun game.
Have you ever played it using every German fighter against you?
Quote:
Circus Maximus
Never played it.
The name makes me think of rubbers.
Quote:
Hitlers War
Looks like a great game.
I only look at the components.
It has a high solitaire rating.
Is it fun?

Last edited by Slug; 11 Nov 07 at 15:21..
Old 11 Nov 07, 18:16
General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals Winner, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200]
Russian Campaign and Panzerblitz/Leader

I usually won as the Russians in russian Campaign, but one game, my opponent rolled clear weather from Oct through Dec and took Moscow--yikes!

I also have Chancellorsville--a waste-- and Gettysburg with the three levels of play. Beautiful counters, but...
Old 12 Nov 07, 01:05
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign - Winner! 

KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200] KGPanzerschrecK is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug View Post
Fun game.
Have you ever played it using every German fighter against you?
Yeah. Ive been blown out of the sky in that game in every way imaginable, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug
Never played it.
The name makes me think of rubbers.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug
Looks like a great game.
I only look at the components.
It has a high solitaire rating.
Is it fun?
Pick up a copy off of E-Bay, its easily played solitare and its a blast to play. The cool thing is that the game is never the same because your armies are "Built". You buy points to add to your army in the form of Tac Air, Bomber, Mech, Armor, Inf, Para Inf, AAA, Amphib points ect. and build each army the way you want it to be built. You can also research wonder weapons like Jets, Rockets/Missles and Nukes and "Uber" submarines. The game is very fun to play.
Old 12 Nov 07, 03:56
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I think I'll set up Ambush on the desk once my current game of ASLSK is done.
Old 19 Nov 07, 18:55
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Played Gunslinger and Queen of the Skies when I was ten. Wish I still had those. I have Panzer Commander, Luftwaffe, Tactics II, Kriegspiel, Maharaja, Raid of St. Nazzaire, and Blackbeard (and still no pirate game rivals it! Yarr!)

Wouldn't mind having Gunslinger again but everytime I find it it's been bid up well beyond my price range.
Old 22 Nov 07, 21:41
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Got a whole shelf full of them still, and refuse to give them up! I play mostly solitaire these days, though I've found a friend at work that's into AH, and we've started gaming Squad Leader.

My most played these days is Raid on St. Nazaire.
Old 24 Nov 07, 01:44
Captain
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterook View Post
Got a whole shelf full of them still, and refuse to give them up! I play mostly solitaire these days, though I've found a friend at work that's into AH, and we've started gaming Squad Leader.

My most played these days is Raid on St. Nazaire.
Dont ever give'em up! Even if you have to wait 10 to 15 years to find an opponent, its worth the wait to play them "live" again.
Old 24 Nov 07, 14:35
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Dont ever give'em up! Even if you have to wait 10 to 15 years to find an opponent, its worth the wait to play them "live" again.
I very much agree

I can't believe, by the way, how much $$ these old gems are getting on the secondary market, though. I see them in hobby shops, EBay, cons, etc. Big money. Still can't entice me to give them up though!
Old 24 Nov 07, 22:46
Captain
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterook View Post
I very much agree

I can't believe, by the way, how much $$ these old gems are getting on the secondary market, though. I see them in hobby shops, EBay, cons, etc. Big money. Still can't entice me to give them up though!
You never know when your gonna find a bargain though.

In '92 i went with my buddy to a yard sale to pick up his mom. I never go yard sale'ing BTW. It must of been fate i guess because when i got there they had a brand new, still in its shrink wrap, copy of Arab Israeli Wars. I got it for the paltry sum of 5 dollars lol.

3 weeks later i go to a toy store in the town up the road from me that was going out of buisness. I had been in there 100's of times over the years and i never, ever saw any Avalon Hill games for sale in there. Its their last day of their going out of buisness sale and im in there about an hour before they close. I walk to the back of the store and low and behold they have a handful of classic AH games, i buy all of them for 2 bucks a piece! Victory in the Pacific, another copy of Arab Israeli Wars {I now have 3 copies lol}, Tactics II and Luftwaffe.

And finally about 2 months ago i got incontact with a guy here on these very forums who had a mint original 1st addition copy of 1776 and i picked that up for only 20 dollars, and that included shipping.

Yes i have been very lucky over the years, and i hope it continues.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!