StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 07 Nov 07, 12:48
Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Old AH Games

I want to know what old Avalon Hill games people are still playing.

I still enjoy playing "Blitzkrieg" with a good opponent.

Even after a few beers, it can be very entertaining.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 07 Nov 07, 13:18
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Model Forum Group Build Victor Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I still have Panzerblitz/leader, Squad Leader, Tac Air, and The Russian Campaign on the bookshelf. My ASL stuff is packed up in boxes, aging gracefully. It's still fun to set up TRC and try different opening moves. Of course with any game I have the most fun setting up. I use to set up major battles on the RB1 map but never play them. I'd also put 6-9 SL boards together and set up Bn sized games.
Old 07 Nov 07, 13:51
Colonel
United_States

Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I still have Panzerblitz/leader, Squad Leader, Tac Air, and The Russian Campaign on the bookshelf. My ASL stuff is packed up in boxes, aging gracefully. It's still fun to set up TRC and try different opening moves. Of course with any game I have the most fun setting up. I use to set up major battles on the RB1 map but never play them. I'd also put 6-9 SL boards together and set up Bn sized games.
Got ya beat.

Set up all of my SL/ASL mapboards (over 120) in my two car garage.....

Look very interesting terrain, until my wife wanted to drive inside the garage......

Took me "several minutes" to "clear the battle field.

Got a HUGE scenario I designed for Aug 1943, "Heavy Metal Thunder" I call it.

Two Russian Armor Brigades against a German Mk IV Tank Company (6th Panzer Div) and a Tiger Company (-) (Gross Deutschland Div), on 15 mapboards.

The victory conditons are "Russians must exits 21 AFVs off west edge of boards.

Awesome.
Old 07 Nov 07, 14:11
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I played Waterloo (mid to late 1960s) until last year. I got tired of the formula Allied victory.

I still play PanzerBlitz by mail on occasion.

I belong to the Vancouver ASL league. Although I haven't had time for a game in quite a while. I'm hoping to get in a couple at next weekend's convention.

I have a bunch of other stuff on the shelf. Tac Air, Gulf Strike (pre Desert Shield expansion), Panzer Leader, the 60's version of D-Day, Wooden Ships and Iron Men, One Page Bulge, a few others.
Old 07 Nov 07, 14:40
Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
I played Waterloo (mid to late 1960s) until last year. I got tired of the formula Allied victory.

I still play PanzerBlitz by mail on occasion.

I belong to the Vancouver ASL league. Although I haven't had time for a game in quite a while. I'm hoping to get in a couple at next weekend's convention.

I have a bunch of other stuff on the shelf. Tac Air, Gulf Strike (pre Desert Shield expansion), Panzer Leader, the 60's version of D-Day, Wooden Ships and Iron Men, One Page Bulge, a few others.
Duncan,

You are good in my book.

Played Gulf Strike very often until my Apple IIe crashed three years ago.

I have not played WS&IM, but have heard nothing but great things about it.
Old 07 Nov 07, 14:57
General of the Forums
Hungary
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kenneally View Post

My boy and I have played Blitzkrieg as an intro to boardgaming. We have also played Gettysburg (I still have the old version with squares instead of hexes).

My whole family plays Emperor of China from time to time, but I'm not sure if that's AH or not.

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
http://www.mormon.org
http://www.sca.org
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.scouting.org/
Old 07 Nov 07, 15:30
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Model Forum Group Build Victor Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Got ya beat.

Set up all of my SL/ASL mapboards (over 120) in my two car garage...
Wow, I usually used my dad's pooltable and could leave it set up for awhile to tinker with.
Old 07 Nov 07, 15:44
Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Wow, I usually used my dad's pooltable and could leave it set up for awhile to tinker with.
I wish........
Old 07 Nov 07, 19:48
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Duncan,

You are good in my book.

Played Gulf Strike very often until my Apple IIe crashed three years ago.

I have not played WS&IM, but have heard nothing but great things about it.
This Gulf Stike. We used to have a regularly Friday night session to play the big scenarios.

Old 07 Nov 07, 20:25
Brigadier General
United_States
Summer Campaign 

Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300]
The only AH board game I have left is Fortress Europa.In a past life Ihad Panzer Blitz,Panzer Leader,Squad Leader and it's add-ons,WS&IM,Third Reich,Submarine,Guns of August,Afrika Korps,The Russian Campaign,Kriegspiel,and my very first wargame;Blitzkrieg.

Old 08 Nov 07, 10:30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I have fond memories of 'em, but that's all that's left. Sold all my AH games (and a huge collection of "The General") about seven years ago when I was moving. Knew I'd never play 'em again, and couldn't see hanging on to 'em just for nostalgia's sake.

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)
Old 08 Nov 07, 12:09
General of the Forums
United_States

dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:

Even after a few beers, it can be very entertaining.
I played The Russian Campaign for years by mail, now I only play Panzerblitz/
PanzerLeader by e-mail and mail .
Old 08 Nov 07, 12:57
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfred View Post
I played The Russian Campaign for years by mail, now I only play Panzerblitz/
PanzerLeader by e-mail and mail .
L2 Desing Group puts out a 4th edition Russian Campaign. It's quite expensive though.

AH is taking pre-orders for PanzerBlitz. It's only vaguely looks like the old version.
Old 08 Nov 07, 13:03
General of the Forums
Hungary
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Carroll View Post
I have fond memories of 'em, but that's all that's left. Sold all my AH games (and a huge collection of "The General") about seven years ago when I was moving. Knew I'd never play 'em again, and couldn't see hanging on to 'em just for nostalgia's sake.
It's sad when that happens. I gave away hundreds of Rocco mini-tanks about 20 years ago...all painted and ready for wargaming. I had evolved out of WW2 and into medievals (where I remain) and they were just taking up space.

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
http://www.mormon.org
http://www.sca.org
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.scouting.org/
Old 08 Nov 07, 13:25
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos View Post
It's sad when that happens. I gave away hundreds of Rocco mini-tanks about 20 years ago...all painted and ready for wargaming. I had evolved out of WW2 and into medievals (where I remain) and they were just taking up space.
I've heard stories like that from miniaturists for decades. They worried me so much that I never actually got into minis. Wanted to, but never could quite decide what period I was really interested in -- enough to dedicate my life (or some big portion of it) to.

So, I'd collect a few sample sets of figures, as well as some rules. And once or twice I got as far as painting a few figures. But that's as far as it went. I still have a box of figures in a closet, mostly unpainted.

I suppose it's just as well, though. I've never really been into craft or modeling at all. Hated painting miniatures! And I was always tempted to do something drastic and abstract, like spray-paint armies in solid colors and be done with it. I actually preferred the look of solid-color figures most of the time. Which, once again, points to the fact that I'm not a modeler. Real minimen love detail; I was always content with abstraction.

Even board wargames grew too detailed for my liking after a while. Especially games like ASL. On one hand I could appreciate the "realism," but OTOH it made me want to throw up my hands and just go play chess.

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!