HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider.

Old 19 Sep 07, 12:27
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
England
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign SPQR Campaign 

Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Best Uniform

Who would you consider were the smartest looking troops of the Napoleonic wars? would it be the French Imperial guard grenadier, the Prussian garde du corps, the Russian lifeguards, the 95th rifles or the Polish lancers, or any other unit of that period. Don't forget they would have looked a bit different when on campaign.

Last edited by Post Captain; 19 Sep 07 at 16:01..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 20 Sep 07, 01:03
Captain
Powflag
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Consul is on the path to success [1-99] Consul is on the path to success [1-99] Consul is on the path to success [1-99] Consul is on the path to success [1-99] Consul is on the path to success [1-99] Consul is on the path to success [1-99] Consul is on the path to success [1-99]
Frankly, I was always impressed by the French cuirassiers and carabiniers. Sure, their breastplates and helmets were hopelessly outdated, but they were still incredible looking!

Old 20 Sep 07, 01:57
Lieutenant General
Brazil
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100]
Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100]
My three favorite uniforms are:

The 2nd regiment of Lighthorse-Lancers of the French Imperial Guard, the famous Red Lancers.

French Carabiniers a cheval (Heavy Cavalry)

French Cuirassiers (Heavy Cavalry)

Last edited by Zouave; 17 Feb 11 at 09:07..
Old 20 Sep 07, 02:12
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 

Airchallenged has demonstrated strength of character [100] Airchallenged has demonstrated strength of character [100] Airchallenged has demonstrated strength of character [100] Airchallenged has demonstrated strength of character [100] Airchallenged has demonstrated strength of character [100] Airchallenged has demonstrated strength of character [100] Airchallenged has demonstrated strength of character [100] Airchallenged has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I have to agree that those Red Lancers look pretty dashing.

I cannot thing of a favorite uniform.
Old 20 Sep 07, 03:23
Banned
United_States
March Offensive Summer Campaign 

Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99]
Red face

As it happens, I like uniforms the same color I like my vehicles: White or Black. Something is really nice about a uniform that has a good cut and stands apart like that.

Austrian Grenadiers (I think that these particular ones, which I like, are in the Hungarian style though)

Prussian Hussars

I'm a big Hussar fan though, maybe the way Zouave has an affinity for his chosen type of soldier, I like the experienced and grisled look of the Hussar. Napoleon's Hussars didn't have as good a uniform but they looked pretty good too.

Last edited by Swampwolf; 20 Sep 07 at 03:25..
Old 20 Sep 07, 09:28
Lieutenant General
Brazil
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 

Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100]
Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100]
I'm also a fan of Hussars, Swampwolf.

"News from the front" by Mark Churms. Chasseur a cheval of Napoleon's Guard Cavalry ( left ) discusses the latest information on the French Army's progress during the Austrian campaign of 1809, brought to the town by a fellow captain of the 9th Hussars.

Study of a gunner of the French Guard Horse Artillery, by Keith Rocco.

Last edited by Zouave; 17 Feb 11 at 08:52..
Old 20 Sep 07, 10:23
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Cambronnne has a spectacular aura about [400]
Cambronnne has a spectacular aura about [400]
My favorite uniform?
Um mine....
(See above)

After that, I think the cuirassier is the smartest looking one. Armor, though somewhat outdated was still impressive looking and useful.
Old 20 Sep 07, 22:30
Brigadier General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400] Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400] Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400] Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400] Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400] Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400] Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400] Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400] Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400] Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400] Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400] Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400] Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400] Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400] Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave View Post
I'm also a fan of Hussars, Swampwolf.

"News from the front" by Mark Churms. Chasseur a cheval of Napoleon's Guard Cavalry ( left ) discusses the latest information on the French Army's progress during the Austrian campaign of 1809, brought to the town by a fellow captain of the 9th Hussars.

Study of a gunner of the French Guard Horse Artillery, by Keith Rocco.

The coat slung over the left arm may have looked dashing but did they actually go into battle with it worn as such?

These are definately beautiful unifroms, I'm thinking about painting figures and most definately it will be Napoleonic but something I've always wondered as these unitorms must have been as cumbersome as all hell in battle. The hats alone must have been a nightmare, probably falling over the eyes at the most inappropriate times. Was there ever any consideration for less formal attire in consideration of more effective wear during battle? Or was esprit de corps the be-all and end-all?
Old 21 Sep 07, 01:23
General of the Forums - Donut Dolly
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Based solely on the pictures here I must say I think less is more. Therefore, I like the Scots Greys.

Old 21 Sep 07, 02:48
ACG Forums Field Marshall
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build 
SPQR Campaign 

Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Zouave.

This looks to be the most comfortable:

BoRG

http://www.yelp.com/biz/natural-life-aquarium-south-san-francisco
------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.naturallifeaquarium.com/

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

Last edited by Salinator; 21 Sep 07 at 02:50..
Sponsored Links

Old 21 Sep 07, 10:07
Lieutenant General
Brazil

The campaign uniform is different from the parade uniform

Important note: In my first post, I posted the parade and full uniforms of the Red Lancers.

Campaign or battle dress:

Trumpeters:

Last edited by Zouave; 17 Feb 11 at 09:14..
Old 21 Sep 07, 10:20
General of the Forums
Portuguese_Monarchy
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 

Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600]
Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600]
Lot's of awsome paintings Zouave. Obrigado.

Old 21 Sep 07, 12:48
Lieutenant General
Brazil

Canuckster,

The coat slung over the left arm is called pelisse. The dolman and fur-edged pelisse were heavily braided parts of hussar's flamboyant outfit. The pelisse cost a little fortune ( the pelisse cost 216 francs and the whole uniform for infantrymen cost approx. 250 francs ). The pelisse was worn in several ways:

-On campaign: It was worn over the dolman when the weather was cold.
-On campaign: It was worn instead of the dolman.
-On parade, review, etc: Slung over the left shoulder.

But most often the fur-edged pelisse was left in depot, instead only the lighter dolman was worn. They became so damaged already during the first campaign ( 1805 ), that they were not taken by the rank and file. The cost of reparing the pelisse was high even for the Chasseurs a cheval ( light cavalry ) of the French Guard that only some officers could afford it. The Guard Chasseurs wore pelisses until 1805 campaign and at Austerlitz ( worn over dolmans ). During every next campaign only officers and some NCOs wore them.

This link will answer most of your questions.

http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/na..._uniforms.html
Old 21 Sep 07, 12:57
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
England
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign SPQR Campaign 

Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]

I much prefer the 95th rifles uniform, very smart when they are not on campaign.

Last edited by Post Captain; 21 Sep 07 at 13:48..
Old 22 Sep 07, 12:01
Lieutenant General
Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap. Teancum View Post
Lot's of awsome paintings Zouave. Obrigado.
De nada, ou como dizem em Portugal, năo seja por isso.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!