StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > The Middle East > War in Iraq

Notices and Announcements

War in Iraq Operations Desert Storm, Iraqi Freedom and ongoing operations in the region.

Old 12 Sep 07, 09:32
General of the Forums
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Revans thats not really fair.We're all here to have a chat. I dont object to Americans making comments about British issues.Actually I find it rather refreshing to hear an outsiders point of view whether I agree with it or not. If this was do Britains feel dammed if they do or dammed if they dont I wouldn't ask you not to comment and leave.

Last edited by copenhagen; 12 Sep 07 at 18:20..
Old 12 Sep 07, 09:57
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by copenhagen View Post
Revans thats not really fair.We're all here to have a chat. I dont object to Americans making comments about British issues.Actually I find it rather refreshing to hear an outsiders point of view whether I agree with it or not. If this was do Britains feel dammed if they do or dammed if they dont I would ask you not to comment and leave.
I think you misunderstood my post. The title of thread says it all. Do Americans feel..etc. If the title was Do Britons feel...etc., I would not post in that thread. How can I possibly say one way or another how a Briton would feel on issues relating to Britain? Extend that out to any other nationality, and I would have the same answer. Now if I'm reading the title too narrowly, then fine, I'll back off my original position. But if not, then I'll back my position to the fullest. I'm not trying to start a fight and maybe I did read it wrong, but again, the title says it all.
Old 12 Sep 07, 10:12
General of the Forums
UK

copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
No I havent misunderstood you revans mate. If you wanted to stay out of a british dammed if you do post thats up to you but I wouldnt say you shouldnt if you did. Thats was my point.
Other nations have had including mine similar experiences, so our input is valid. One of the good things about this site is we can learn from other nationals experience who have experienced life from a different point of view. Anyway I respect what your trying to say but I respectfully disagree. Apart from anything this thread was started by an Australian!

Last edited by copenhagen; 12 Sep 07 at 10:16..
Old 12 Sep 07, 10:34
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by copenhagen View Post
No I havent misunderstood you revans mate. If you wanted to stay out of a british dammed if you do post thats up to you but I wouldnt say you shouldnt if you did. Thats was my point.
Other nations have had including mine similar experiences, so our input is valid. One of the good things about this site is we can learn from other nationals experience who have experienced life from a different point of view. Anyway I respect what your trying to say but I respectfully disagree. Apart from anything this thread was started by an Australian!
Yeah, I saw that!! And then most of the first page posts are by people from outside the US.
Old 12 Sep 07, 10:52
General of the Forums
UK

We're just chatty people I guess!
Sponsored Links

Old 12 Sep 07, 11:17
General of the Forums
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
"Do Americans Feel As Though the US is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't"

Actually the thread title is a question. One doesn't have to be an American to be asked that question.

Do I feel Americans are damned if they damned if they don't? I don't have to be American to have an opinion.

Now if the thread had been, "do the Americans present on the forum think they are damned if they do damned, if they don't?", then a non American really couldn't answer that.
Old 12 Sep 07, 11:48
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries View Post
"Do Americans Feel As Though the US is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't"

Actually the thread title is a question. One doesn't have to be an American to be asked that question.

Do I feel Americans are damned if they damned if they don't? I don't have to be American to have an opinion.

Now if the thread had been, "do the Americans present on the forum think they are damned if they do damned, if they don't?", then a non American really couldn't answer that.
Obviously the question has different meanings when read by different people. Do Americans feel are the first three words of the question. How could a Canadian honestly know or express an informed opinion on how Americans feel? The reverse would be true, how did Canadians feel about the Spanish/Canadian spat over fishing rights in certain waters? How could an American give an opinion on how it would affect the Canadian citizens? Plus the key word in the question we are discussing is "feel". Again how could someone who is not American tell other people how we feel. Again, I believe that I'm reading the title too narrowly, but if that is what the thread starter was asking, How do Americans feel, then only Americans should answer that question. But now that I've reread the opening post and reread it again , I believe the original poster is going for a whole different meaning. Maybe the title of the thread should be something else, but the way it reads now lends itself to people seeing it the way that I did initially.
Old 12 Sep 07, 12:23
General of the Forums
Romania

Imperial is simply cracking [600]
Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailboss49 View Post
Communication must be worse in Romania than I thought. I would have thought that bringing down the World Trade Center, attacking the Pentagon, etc. on September 11, 2001 would have reached even your part of the world. That is a whole lot sooner than 66 years ago.
It wasn't Iraq that attacked you...
Old 12 Sep 07, 12:28
Banned
United_States
March Offensive 

OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
It wasn't Iraq that attacked you...
In 1941, it wasn't Germany either.
Old 12 Sep 07, 12:44
General
Switzerland
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300] piero1971 is on a distinguished road [300]
aren't Canadians Americans too?

and so are Mexicans!
Old 12 Sep 07, 12:53
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by piero1971 View Post

and so are Mexicans!
No. It's not the United Canadian Provinces of America, nor is the word America in Mexico's title. If you want to call them and us the same thing, then you should use North Americans, rather than Americans. Remember, there is another continent with America in the title. So you should use either north or south when you are speaking about the continents and their people.
Old 12 Sep 07, 16:54
General of the Forums
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by piero1971 View Post

and so are Mexicans!
For that matter...every one in Central and South America is an "American" as well.

However...in English..."Americans" generally means people from the United States of America. It's not our fault that we thought to put "America" into the name of our country.

Canada could have called itself - The United Canadian Provinces of America...Mexico came damn close - they call themselves Los Estados Unidos de Mexico...Missed it by one word! Brazil could have called itself - The Really Big Portugeese Speaking Country of America.
Old 12 Sep 07, 17:17
General of the Forums
Romania

Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaStrike View Post
In 1941, it wasn't Germany either.
Germany declared war on you.

It seems Germany considered you were a threat. Germany acted in preventive self-defense:

Adolf Hitler accused President Roosevelt of waging a campaign against Germany since 1937, blamed him for the outbreak of war in 1939 and said he was planning to invade Germany in 1943.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/3532401.stm

Old 12 Sep 07, 17:41
Banned
United_States
March Offensive 

OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100] OmegaStrike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
Germany declared war on you.

It seems Germany considered you were a threat. Germany acted in preventive self-defense:

Adolf Hitler accused President Roosevelt of waging a campaign against Germany since 1937, blamed him for the outbreak of war in 1939 and said he was planning to invade Germany in 1943.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/3532401.stm

Are you saying the US would not have fought Germany if they hadn't done us the favor of declaring war on us?
Old 12 Sep 07, 18:08
General of the Forums
Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaStrike View Post
Are you saying the US would not have fought Germany if they hadn't done us the favor of declaring war on us?
No I'm not saying that. I'm just pointing out Germany declared war on you, which made its threat more than a mere "consideration" or future possibility. While the war in Iraq according to your earlier posts was based on you considering it a future threat.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!