HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Weider Hosting > RKKA (The Russian Army) in World War II

Notices and Announcements

RKKA (The Russian Army) in World War II Discuss the Russian armed forces in World War II. Hosted by our resident Russian expert, AMVAS. Please visit his RKKA in WW2 Website.

Old 21 Jul 07, 20:13
Banned
United_States
March Offensive Summer Campaign 

Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99]
Victory slogans and graffiti

Hi

I was at a military store the other day and the owner told me how he was painting Victory Slogans on the Russian tanks, and which ones he was using. I have a few questions about the victory slogans:
In pictures they are on the turrets of tanks and normally on walls too. Was there a standard procedure for painting it on the tank? I assume they had to say the right thing too. Then and today our Marines can write pretty much what they want but it has to be on the right place of the vehicle. I'm assuming that helmet graffiti was also forbidden.

What were some good slogans?
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 22 Jul 07, 00:26
RKKA in World War II Forum CO
Russia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon ACG Ten Year Service Award March Offensive 

amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampwolf View Post
Hi

I was at a military store the other day and the owner told me how he was painting Victory Slogans on the Russian tanks, and which ones he was using. I have a few questions about the victory slogans:
In pictures they are on the turrets of tanks and normally on walls too. Was there a standard procedure for painting it on the tank?
No there were no any standard procedures...
As far as I know, usually a crew simply asked for permission to paint some slogan on their tank from comissar of the unit and then, painted it by any available means according to tehir own fantasy and abilities.

Quote:
I assume they had to say the right thing too. Then and today our Marines can write pretty much what they want but it has to be on the right place of the vehicle. I'm assuming that helmet graffiti was also forbidden.
There were some usual places for writing (for example on a tank hull and turret), but they were not limited by any orders, or instructions...
Never saw any helmet paintings on the Soviet soldiers...

Quote:
What were some good slogans?
Well... There were enormous amount of them...
Check photos and colored images in books... even western ones contains a large number of them supplied with translations

Regards
Alex
Old 23 Jul 07, 14:16
Banned
United_States

Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99]
Most translated slogans are ussually very to the point. I see in my books a lot of tanks painted with "For Stalin" on them. Those pictures are from Stalingrad too, so I guess it had a special morale effect. Others ussually say things like "Victory." It's a lot different than what I'm used to: Ours were normally humorous.
I did see a Soviet anti-tank gun painted with (according to the translation) "Animal Killer," obviously in reference to the German Tigers, Elephants, Wasps, and all of that.
Old 23 Jul 07, 17:40
Colonel
Russia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I recon "Animal Killer" is not very adequate translation.
I presume it should have been "Beast Killer".
Old 23 Jul 07, 17:54
Colonel
Russia

Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Here is a collection of photos with the slogans (no translation from Russian though).

First airplains, then tanks: http://kenigtiger.livejournal.com/941533.html
Old 23 Jul 07, 23:47
Banned
United_States

Nice photos. It really does help it feel a lot more real. I've been reading a lot lately (Glantz' books mostly) but it comes across in another way when you can see it.
Old 31 Jul 07, 21:57
First Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100] Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100] Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100] Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100] Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100] Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100] Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100] Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Did not the Russians refer to Germans as beasts?
Old 01 Aug 07, 12:39
Staff Sergeant
Belgium

Vitaly is on the path to success [1-99] Vitaly is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Trung-si: Did not the Russians refer to Germans as beasts?
As Swampwolf said: "obviously in reference to the German Tigers, Elephants, Wasps, and all of that" (see his post 23 Jul 07, 20:16). As I understand, the original slogan was "Zveroboy" that should better be translated just as "Hunter".
Old 01 Aug 07, 15:58
Colonel
Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trung-si View Post
Normaly word "beast" in this context would be used together with word "fascism".

But it is practicaly imposible to figure out what ment "Animal Killer" in the Swampwolf's post. There coulld be different expressions with different meanings and moods attached to them.

For example:

This one reads "Fight the fascist serpent" or "Strike the fascist serpent"

Plus, IIRC, "Hunter" (Zveroboy) was a nickname for the ISU-152 self propelled gun.

Regards
Igor
Old 03 Aug 07, 03:10
General
Russia
5 Year Service Ribbon ACG Ten Year Service Award 

Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100]
ISU-152 was used as an effective AT self-propelled gun. It had 152-mm gun and turrets of "Tigers" and "Panthers" were blown off by its shells.

The "Tigers" and "Panthers" were considered very dangerous tanks with very thick armor.

So the Soviet soldiers called USU-152 "Zveroboi". It means "Hunter on beasts".

In this context it means "hunter on large or dangerous animals".
Sponsored Links

Old 04 Aug 07, 07:00
General
Russia
5 Year Service Ribbon ACG Ten Year Service Award 

Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trung-si View Post
I offer you to look this
"The fought for the Motherland"
http://www.ruscico.com/detail.php?lang=en&film=322

It is one of the best Soviet movies about WWII. It contains a set of super-stars of the Soviet cinematography.

Maybe you will understad who the Soviet soldiers were...
Old 04 Aug 07, 11:45
General of the Forums
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon ACG Ten Year Service Award 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 

joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
"They fought for the Motherland"

Yes! Watch it Watch it Watch it!!!! You won't regret it!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!