HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > Armchair Attacks! > Summer Campaign 2007

Notices and Announcements

Summer Campaign 2007 Summer 2007 Tournament.

View Poll Results: Who Would YOU Vote For?
Sobieski 57 57.58%
Agrippa 42 42.42%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 Jul 07, 11:47
ACG Commanding Officer
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500]
Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500]
Agrippa vs. Sobieski (Round 3)

Here are some basic facts for each player to help you in your voting (From Wikipedia):

Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa

Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa (c. 63 BC–12 BC) was a Roman statesman and general. He was a close friend, son-in-law and minister to Octavian, the future emperor Caesar Augustus. He was responsible for most of Octavian’s military triumphs, most notably winning the naval Battle of Actium against the forces of Mark Antony and Cleopatra VII of Egypt.

Jan Sobieski

Jan III Sobieski (17 August 1629 - 17 June 1696; English: John III Sobieski ), one of the most notable monarchs of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, was the King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania from 1674 until his death. Sobieski's 22-year-reign was marked by a period of the Commonwealth's stabilisation, much needed after the turmoil of the Deluge and Chmielnicki's Uprising. Popular among his subjects, he was also a brilliant military commander, most famous for his victory over the Turks in the 1683 Battle of Vienna. For his victories over the Ottoman Empire, he was dubbed by the Turks the "Lion of Lehistan."
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 19 Jul 07, 12:13
Banned
United_States

Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700]
I love the great Pole truly i do....but this is a coin toss on whether you recognize the saving of a nation and possibly western Europe from conquest or the conquest of an empire......1500 years before.

I still stand with Agrippa.
Old 19 Jul 07, 12:32
Marshal of ACG - XO
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Agrippa for me.
Old 19 Jul 07, 13:02
General of the Forums
United_States
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
King John all the way.

So Agrippa fought against MA & C. BMFD!!! and if he had lost???? What!!!

IF King John had lost at Vienna we know what the changes would have been.

HP

If God wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates.*

NO one wins a war!!!! They just lose less.
Old 19 Jul 07, 13:05
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Got to agree with HP. The King had much more riding on the outcome of his battles. Rome would've been Rome with or without Agrippa.
Old 19 Jul 07, 13:05
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
England
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 SPQR Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
went for Agrippa.
Old 19 Jul 07, 14:16
Lieutenant Colonel
Poland
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 

Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
IF King John had lost at Vienna we know what the changes would have been.

HP
Well, the constelation probably had be named "Kara Mustafa's turban", or "Green Standard of the Profet".
Quote:
Scutum (IPA: [ˈskjutəm], Latin: shield) is a small constellation, one of the 88 modern constellations. It is one of the few constellations (with Coma Berenices) that owes its name to an historical figure.

The original name Scutum Sobiescianum (Sobieski's Shield) was introduced in late 1683 by Hevelius as commemoration of the victory of the Christian forces led by Polish king and hero John III Sobieski in the battle of Vienna.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scutum

Historia Wojskowa Portal Historyczno-Wojskowy phw.org.pl
Old 19 Jul 07, 14:40
General of the Forums - Donut Dolly
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I agree with HP. Sobieski had a lot riding on his victory. Besides, who wants to look up into the sky at night and see Islamic stars? I don't.
Old 19 Jul 07, 15:16
General of the Forums
United_States

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_mt1vTN3qw

Go KING JOHN, even on you tube, class act he was, the vid leaves a little to be desired.

HP

Old 19 Jul 07, 15:49
General of the Forums
EU
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

General Staff has disabled reputation
Went for Agrippa. Augustus took a lot of his glory as head honcho and Agrippa as a firm friend anyway was happy enough with that- one the politician, the other the strategic/tactical genius.

Not to say Sobielski wasn't brilliant either.
Sponsored Links

Old 19 Jul 07, 23:09
First Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Model Forum Group Build 

Redleg155 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redleg155 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redleg155 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redleg155 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redleg155 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redleg155 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redleg155 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redleg155 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redleg155 has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaross@ View Post
Well, the constelation probably had be named "Kara Mustafa's turban", or "Green Standard of the Profet".
I had to go with Marcus... Again, this was a close one and Agrippa I think is the better of the two... I didn't actually flip a coin on this one - but when I read Barbaross@'s comment about the "scrotum constellation" - I had to vote for the guy I originally went with... and besides - even my red-neck, back-woods cousin spent $100 and had a star named after his fourth wife... and later he did it again for his fifth wife! I don't even thing Jan paid for his name getting added to the stars!

And yes - the 4th and 5th wife story is true! That my blood, ya'll!
FSO - 1BCT, 3ID - OIF III

"Loved or Hated... Never Ignored... COLT sticks it deep!"
Old 19 Jul 07, 23:23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
March Offensive Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build 

Reaper is on the path to success [1-99] Reaper is on the path to success [1-99] Reaper is on the path to success [1-99] Reaper is on the path to success [1-99] Reaper is on the path to success [1-99]
Agrippa!
Old 20 Jul 07, 00:36
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 

guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200]
Not much to choose from in this one. Both of these are rather light-weight in my mind.
Old 20 Jul 07, 03:18
General of the Forums - Donut Dolly
South_Vietnam
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg155 View Post
but when I read Barbaross@'s comment about the "scrotum constellation" - I had to vote for the guy I originally went with... and besides - even my red-neck, back-woods cousin spent $100 and had a star named after his fourth wife... and later he did it again for his fifth wife! I don't even thing Jan paid for his name getting added to the stars!

And yes - the 4th and 5th wife story is true! That my blood, ya'll!
Some difference between having a famous astronomer name a constellation after you and buying some star name from a radio and late night TV ad. Did the stake knives come with the star? But to appeal to your red neck side, There was a beer named after the renown astronomer Helvelius.

"The fault lies not in our stars, but in ourselves"
Old 20 Jul 07, 05:32
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by guthrieba View Post
Not much to choose from in this one. Both of these are rather light-weight in my mind.
WOW, a man that is credit with stopping the Ottoman Empire of spreading into Western Europe a light weight.

HP

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!