StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Weapons of War > Air Power

Notices and Announcements

Air Power A place to discuss the implements of War in the Air!

Old 12 Jan 04, 11:04
Brigadier General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Don Maddox is on the path to success [1-99] Don Maddox is on the path to success [1-99] Don Maddox is on the path to success [1-99] Don Maddox is on the path to success [1-99] Don Maddox is on the path to success [1-99] Don Maddox is on the path to success [1-99]
JSF or F22: which should we buy?

If it eventually boils down to a choice between the JSF and the F22, which should the Pentagon go for? Although both planes are modern, high tech fighters, there are significant differences between their capabilities and roles. The Air Force really wants the F22 and they are pushing very hard for it. It's critics say it's too expensive and there really isn't a need for it. On the other hand, the Navy is pushing hard as well.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 12 Jan 04, 11:24
Captain
Germany

Kraut is on the path to success [1-99]
Buy the Eurofighter

Henry Alfred Kissinger
Old 12 Jan 04, 11:26
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Tim McBride is on the path to success [1-99] Tim McBride is on the path to success [1-99]
Is either needed right now? If I had to choose it would be the JSF. With at least some parts being similar amongst the variants each branch wants it will keep costs down. In reallity the AF will probally though get both. .....
Old 12 Jan 04, 12:29
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

SkyVon has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McBride
Is either needed right now? If I had to choose it would be the JSF. With at least some parts being similar amongst the variants each branch wants it will keep costs down. In reality the AF will probably though get both. .....
Two different planes meant for two different roles. The F-22 is intended to replace our F-15s while the JSF our F-16s.

The F-22 is very expensive and takes a long time to build...just the fuselage takes twice as long to manufacture as does an entire F-16. It's also the most expensive fighter ever produced...that’s the down side.

On the up side, the advanced avionics allow the F-22 a "first look, first shot, first kill" capability, and along with its stealth and super-cruise would make this, easily, the best fighter plane in the world.

While the Eurofighter will be an improvement over the F-15, it would still lag behind the F-22 and it's a safe bet that Eurofighters will be sold around the world. Does any sane American want to see its men and women in combat against superior equipment? Since the end of WWII, the USAF has always tried to fly the best...why stop now? The Russians will also be releasing, prior to 2010 the Su 37, their version of our F-22; if we're still flying F-15s then, or even JSF's, we've now put our pilots at a serious disadvantage.

As for the JSF, the Marine Corps plan to purchase these and give them vertical take-off/landing capabilities...a feature that greatly increases the weight. The Marines have never wanted an Air Superiority aircraft; they always look for a fast mud mover that can defend itself (currently F-18s.) The JSF is a definite improvement over the F-16 and may be close to the Eurofighters performance...close but not better.

Right now we have three main fighters, F-14, F-15 & F-16. With the JSF and F-22 we could possibly trim that down to two. No reason to have only one fighter type when we demand such a varied task of them. If we do that, we'll end up with a bird alright...a turkey.
Old 12 Jan 04, 21:41
General
United_States

Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300]
Skyvon hit it on the nail. The F-22 and JSF are two aircraft assigned to fulfill different roles. Personally, I think the F-22 might obselete.

The F-22 is superior to the Eurofighter. The EFA 2000 has a higher max speed. However, it can't hit supersonic speeds without using afterburn. The Raptor can cruise at speeds greater than 1,100mph, compared to the Eurofighter's 800mph. The Raptor can also carry more weapons. It's combat radius is twice as much as the EFA 2000. Finally, the F-22 incorporates stealth technology, which would give a flight of Raptors an tactical advantage, particularly at long ranges. One Raptor can use it's radar to detect enemy aircraft, then pass the info to other flights with their radar off to sneak in shots.

JSF will replace the F-16 as the Air Force's workhorse. Like the Raptor, it will incorporate stealth and agility, without the massive cost, hopefully.

So we need both, although, I see the JSF as a more important project. Maintaining air supremacy will be vital in future combat. While the cost of modern aircraft will limit the number of countries who will threaten mobility, we should not lull ourselves into a false sense of security.

I do like the Eurofighter. I'm confident it will make a major impact on the world. The little sucker is fast, very agile, not too expensive, and like JSF and the F-16 can fill several critical roles. There are also the Gripen and Rafale. Both are very solid designs that will have an impact on the future of air combat. The SU-37 appears to be superior to the F-22, when it comes to thrust vectoring technology. Still, it might suffer because it lacks stealth technology. It can do so fancy maneuvers, but most of them would get the aircraft an AAM up the tailpipe. (Slowing down in an air battle can be fatal.)

I would like to see the US invest more in a new AWACS system as well as some more bombers. Then again, cruise missiles might replace them in any case soon enough.
"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942
Old 12 Jan 04, 22:08
Major
China

ER_Chaser is on the path to success [1-99]
S-37 superior to F22? No way ...

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.
Old 12 Jan 04, 22:37
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

SkyVon has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER_Chaser
S-37 superior to F22? No way ...
In a dogfight, most likely yes.

However, no self-respecting Raptor pilot would stick around once he's out of missiles...unless he has a death wish.

Just put the bird in super-cruise and head for home to reload while your opponent looks around hysterically for that plane that just shot at him, this pilot should also immediately buy a lottery ticket as his luck much be running high right now. Even if he is lucky enough to find the Raptor, a minute of afterburners in the Su-37 (or any other bird) trying to catch the Raptor for that dogfight will eat so much fuel that he'll be forced to RTB...and would a Raptor ever be flying solo? Not a chance.

Thus, while Raptor A heads for home, Raptors B, C & D will finish off that Su-37, or EF or...

When you think of it, Raptor is a very apt name for this plane
Old 13 Jan 04, 03:52
Brigadier General
United_States

Priest is on the path to success [1-99] Priest is on the path to success [1-99]
I would vote for the F-22.
Old 13 Jan 04, 08:07
Major
France
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

LaPalice has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraut
Buy the Eurofighter
Yes, like that the AI will have a chance if you play against it .
(Buy the Rafale, don't do like the Poles).

LaPalice.
Il était encore en vie...
Old 13 Jan 04, 08:49
Brigadier General
EU

jlbetin is on the path to success [1-99] jlbetin is on the path to success [1-99] jlbetin is on the path to success [1-99] jlbetin is on the path to success [1-99]
Talking French Superior technology

Tsssss, none of them they can't stand the strengh and the power of the Blériot XI

Poor US guys 10 Blériot XI, and and all USAF kneel down behind French superior Technology

DerWanderChannelCrossing1909
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flying32.jpg (17.9 KB, 19 views)
Sponsored Links

Old 31 Jan 17, 03:56
Major
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99]
I would go with the F-22.
Old 31 Jan 17, 04:10
General of the Forums
Australia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
The TFX ?
Old 17 Feb 17, 17:07
Major General
Wales

Aber is walking in the light [200] Aber is walking in the light [200] Aber is walking in the light [200] Aber is walking in the light [200] Aber is walking in the light [200] Aber is walking in the light [200] Aber is walking in the light [200] Aber is walking in the light [200] Aber is walking in the light [200] Aber is walking in the light [200] Aber is walking in the light [200] Aber is walking in the light [200]
According to President Trump today, he's looking at a large order for the Super Hornet.
Old 17 Feb 17, 18:34
Sergeant Major
Netherlands
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Rutger is on the path to success [1-99] Rutger is on the path to success [1-99] Rutger is on the path to success [1-99] Rutger is on the path to success [1-99] Rutger is on the path to success [1-99]
Nah, I think he's just teasing Lockheed to bring down the cost.
Wouldn't mind though, the F-35 is a lot uglier than the Super Hornet.
Old 17 Feb 17, 19:09
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I think the Air Force can make a case for more F-22's. Maybe not as many as they wanted, but some. The JSF might replace the F-16, but not the A-10.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!