StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 16 Jul 09, 18:16
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post

I got in the mail an unexpected gift from a friend this book: http://tinyurl.com/ktfpsc (amazon.com listing) and it deals with the Irish in the CSA Army. Written By Phillip Thomas Tucker who has written 15 other books about the Civil War, Irish and African American history. Mr. Tucker is also historian for the United States Air Force.

What struck my interest was the author noting the different reasons why the Irish fought for the Union and why they fought for the Confederacy. He states that the Irish fought for the Union so they could improve their life in the North where they were considered lower class than even the freed black men. He states the reasons they fought for the Confederacy was that the struggle between North and South mirrored their image of the struggle for Irish independence from Great Britain. Also that the Irish were a lot better assimilated in the South meant they did have more to lose.

The book is broken down into chapters which deal with famous Irish actions during the war. None of these dwell into major detail about the battle, but picks out the spots the Rebel Irish played a major role. Several times the Rebel Irish fought the Irish Brigade (which was portrayed in God's and Generals).

The Chapters include:

10th Louisiana vs. Irish Brigade at Malvern Hill.
2nd, 20th Georgia at Rohrbach Bridge -Sharpsburg.
24th Georgia vs. Irish Brigade at Fredericksburg.
1st Missouri Confederate Brigade. at Champion Hill.
15th Alabama at Little Round Top.
1st Virginia in Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg .
Davis Guards (All Irish) (Coy. F) 1st Texas Heavy Artillery at Sabine Pass.
10th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson.
What the book DOES NOT do is give a massive amount of detail to the battle other than to set up the role of the Irish in it. What is nice is that names of the Irish are given if known. And for Coy. F, 1st Texas Heavy Artillery the entire 47 man roster is given. Illustrations are plentiful for such a small book despite the inclusion of Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain which was just mystified me. Also nice is there is a larger bibliography than I would have expected for a book this size. Five pages out of 127 is nice. Also included is an index that makes referencing back easy. With a list price of $16.95 the book is easily available to all readers who are interested in the Forgotten Soldiers of the Civil War.
Richard, wasn't Father John Bannon affiliated with the Missouri Tigers?

BTW, I just finished Smith's Champion Hill book. It has excellent coverage of their counterattack against Hovey's and Logan's Divisions on the hill. Great book all the way around.
Old 16 Jul 09, 19:05
ACG Forums - Air Marshall
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDeFranco View Post
Richard, wasn't Father John Bannon affiliated with the Missouri Tigers?

BTW, I just finished Smith's Champion Hill book. It has excellent coverage of their counterattack against Hovey's and Logan's Divisions on the hill. Great book all the way around.
Yes he was. And if Smith's book is the one I am thinking about it is a great book. I should pull it out and reread it.

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Calling Nazis ratzis is an insult to rats around the world.
Old 17 Jul 09, 08:25
First Sergeant
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

bill shack is on the path to success [1-99] bill shack is on the path to success [1-99] bill shack is on the path to success [1-99] bill shack is on the path to success [1-99]
one of my favorite books that has not been mentioned is Canadians in the Civil War by Claire Hoy. I am a Canadian and have always wondered if there was a connection with the birth of Canada (1867) and the american civil war. This book explains how the american civil war caused the birth of Canada. It really opened my eyes to how and why canada became a nation.

bill
Old 20 Jul 09, 12:02
Staff Sergeant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

bschulte is on the path to success [1-99] bschulte is on the path to success [1-99] bschulte is on the path to success [1-99]
I'll add a few more Civil War Blogs:

Civil War Books and Authors: Drew Wagenhoffer's blog is all about book reviews. He also offers author interviews and looks at upcoming titles.

Rantings of a Civil War Historian: Author Eric Wittenberg's personal blog focuses mainly on what Civil War material he is currently working on.

Bull Runnings: Harry Smeltzer's Bull Runnings is basically an online reference source for the First Battle of Bull Run (Manassas). He is currently uploading testimony in front of the Join Committee on the Conduct of the War which concerns events assocaited with First Bull Run. Other topics include the orders of battle, reports from the Official Records, and other interesting items from the battle.

TOCWOC - A Civil War Blog: My group Civil War blog composed of informed amateurs offers up book reviews, game reviews, information on the best books for particular battles and campaigns (a relatively new work in progress), preservation news, and much more. My Civil War blogroll offers the most complete list of Civil War blogs on the web.
Old 03 Aug 09, 19:15
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99]
Some of y'all may already know about this site, but here is a link to the online store that you can order books from the Army Center of Military History.

http://bookstore.gpo.gov/mil-history.jsp
Old 08 Aug 09, 20:30
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300]
Within the Missouri Secretary of State's site are two Digital collections containing between the two of them about 87 books. I counted them but did not do it twice so the count could be off a little.

The address is www.sos.mo.gov/mdh
click on collections
click on books, pamphlets, and monographs
then click on Civil War in Missouri-Monographs
farther down is the State Historical Society-The Civil War in Missouri

There is also within theSOS site the St. Louis Circuit Court Historical Records Project and this has several freedom suits brought by slaves before the war including the Dred Scott Case. There are 107 pages within the case papers for that case alone.
Old 15 Sep 09, 10:55
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900]
hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900]
Good cavalry training manual: http://mainecav.org/congdons/
Old 06 Oct 09, 20:23
ACG Forums - Air Marshall
South_Vietnam
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but project gutenberg has civil war related books. http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

One that caught my eye was the elusive The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government by Jefferson Davis found here: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/19831

Naturally the source is biased in his beliefs, but as I have frequently mentioned I prefer 1st hand accounts despite the warts of not being academically rigid. Still people like our illustrious writers here produce not only academically rigid books, but darn fine good reading too.

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Calling Nazis ratzis is an insult to rats around the world.
Old 12 Dec 09, 13:23
Banned
United_States

Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100] Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100] Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100] Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100] Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100] Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100] Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100] Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100]
A useful resource.

Frederick H. Dyer, Compendium of the War of the Rebellion: Regimental Histories

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...egiment%3DME29
Old 04 Jan 10, 03:20
Private First Class
United_States

Early1964 is a balanced individual [0]
The Memoirs of General Lee by A.L Long- old but well documented by Col. Long. Robert E.Lee by Emory Thomas- Rather recent update on the life of Lee, From Manassas to Appomattox by Gen.Longstreet-rather self-serving history, General James Longstreet-by Jeffery Wert- Better history then Longstreet wrote himself, Stonewall Jackson, and any CW book by James Robertson-always well done, Stonewall in the Valley by Robert G. Tanner-a great read,Shenandoah 1862 by Peter Cozzens- well written and well researched.,To The Gates of Richmond by Stephen W.Sears- as good as it gets until Chancellorville by Stephen W.Sears, Blood Image,Turner Ashby by Paul C.Anderson,Defend the Valley by Margraretta Barton Colt- somewhat a family history,The Wilderness Campaign edited by Gary Gallagher & written by terrific historians,Return to Bull Run by John Hennessy- clears up some misconceptions.,Mary Chesnut's Civil War- edited by C. Vann Woodward-this is a must read and 100's more, "No book is a Bible, its just a part of the picture".

Last edited by Early1964; 04 Jan 10 at 03:30.. Reason: puncuation
Sponsored Links

Old 06 Jan 10, 15:21
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Early1964 View Post
The Memoirs of General Lee by A.L Long- old but well documented by Col. Long. Robert E.Lee by Emory Thomas- Rather recent update on the life of Lee, From Manassas to Appomattox by Gen.Longstreet-rather self-serving history, General James Longstreet-by Jeffery Wert- Better history then Longstreet wrote himself, Stonewall Jackson, and any CW book by James Robertson-always well done, Stonewall in the Valley by Robert G. Tanner-a great read,Shenandoah 1862 by Peter Cozzens- well written and well researched.,To The Gates of Richmond by Stephen W.Sears- as good as it gets until Chancellorville by Stephen W.Sears, Blood Image,Turner Ashby by Paul C.Anderson,Defend the Valley by Margraretta Barton Colt- somewhat a family history,The Wilderness Campaign edited by Gary Gallagher & written by terrific historians,Return to Bull Run by John Hennessy- clears up some misconceptions.,Mary Chesnut's Civil War- edited by C. Vann Woodward-this is a must read and 100's more, "No book is a Bible, its just a part of the picture".
Interesting choices! Wert's book was better history than Longstreet's. I tend to give Longstreet a bit of a pass, because he was responding to the relentless attacks by your namesake and his friends from the SHS. I've heard great things, first hand, about James Robertson as a lecturer at VA Tech. I am less than enthusiastic about his Jackson biography. It seems hagiographical. In fact, it scares me a little that Ron Maxwell wanted Robertson (or was it the other way around?) to beef up Stephen Lang's portrayal of Jackson (I thought that Lang did well, but he was encumbered by the poor screenplay).

I find it interesting that you mentioned both Cozzens' new book and Tanner's together. It was partly because Tanner concentrated on the Confederate side in his book that Cozzens thought there was room for a more balanced account of the 1862 Valley Campaign.

Last edited by TomDeFranco; 06 Jan 10 at 15:29..
Old 06 Jan 10, 20:11
General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals Winner, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDeFranco View Post
Interesting choices! Wert's book was better history than Longstreet's. I tend to give Longstreet a bit of a pass, because he was responding to the relentless attacks by your namesake and his friends from the SHS. I've heard great things, first hand, about James Robertson as a lecturer at VA Tech. I am less than enthusiastic about his Jackson biography. It seems hagiographical. In fact, it scares me a little that Ron Maxwell wanted Robertson (or was it the other way around?) to beef up Stephen Lang's portrayal of Jackson (I thought that Lang did well, but he was encumbered by the poor screenplay).

I find it interesting that you mentioned both Cozzens' new book and Tanner's together. It was partly because Tanner concentrated on the Confederate side in his book that Cozzens thought there was room for a more balanced account of the 1862 Valley Campaign.
I agree re Tanner--it was so one-sided that I no longer own it.
Old 05 Sep 10, 09:00
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Link for all the ordinances of secession, but not the rationales.

http://americancivilwar.com/document...secession.html

Here is a links to documents outlining the causes of secession for the 4 states, South Carolina, Mississippi, Georgia and Texas, that issued them at their conventions. Below that is a link to the speech made by E. S. Dargon summing up the reasoning of the Alabama Convention.

http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/reasons.html

Alabama: E. S. Dargon Speech:
http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoun...ion_Speech.htm

Regards,
Dennis

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Last edited by D1J1; 05 Sep 10 at 15:17..
Old 15 Dec 10, 07:28
Lance Corporal
United_States

johnnyc is on the path to success [1-99]
Over at the Bull Runnings blog there is a link to a new journal (free) called the Gettysburg College Journal of the Civil War Era.

http://bullrunnings.wordpress.com/20...sburg-college/
Old 24 Jan 11, 10:42
Lance Corporal
United_States

johnnyc is on the path to success [1-99]
Longwood University That a Nation Might Live. 'The Civil War's Sesquicentennial One Week at a Time' I linked to the first episode. Each post has a podcast which you can find under the illustration.

http://civilwar150.longwood.edu/2010...the-civil-war/

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!