StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 03 Jun 09, 13:19
Staff Sergeant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

bschulte is on the path to success [1-99] bschulte is on the path to success [1-99] bschulte is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleRider View Post
Wow, I'm really surprised no one has mentioned "The Impending Crisis, 1848-1861" by David Potter. One reviewer on Amazon said "Potter tells us of all the economic, social, and, especially, political causes of the sectional tensions. " But most importantly, he provides a tonn of references for everything he says. Its a great book that discusses a lot of the goings on that led to the war.
I've had that book recommended to me by "Elektratig", a guy who blogs quite a bit on antebellum America. I subsequently bought it but I haven't had a chance to read it. He is doing a Top 10 "Road to the Civil War" Books list soon though at the same time I and several of my fellow Civil Wart bloggers do a Top 10 Gettysburg books list in early July. I am pretty confident that book will be on the list, and I'm looking forward to seeing which others make it.
Old 03 Jun 09, 13:20
Staff Sergeant
United_States

bschulte is on the path to success [1-99] bschulte is on the path to success [1-99] bschulte is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy30 View Post
I despise Dilorenzo. An economist who plays at being a historian & does it badly. A Neo-Confederate whose lies & twisting of history is as appalling as his books.
Agreed wholeheartedly. Dilorenzo's work is trash, and that's being kind.
Old 03 Jun 09, 13:20
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDeFranco View Post
I second Hellboy's assessment of DiLorenzo's books and attitude towards Lincoln.
Well, the Lew Rockwell website loves him.
Old 04 Jun 09, 11:03
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Evans View Post
Well, the Lew Rockwell website loves him.
I'd bet that Mrs. DiLorenzo loves him, too. I look at him as an insult to Italian Americans whose first name is Tom and last name begins with D and has two capital letters.

I think his books say more about Thomas DiLorenzo than they do about Lincoln.
Old 04 Jun 09, 11:12
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDeFranco View Post
I'd bet that Mrs. DiLorenzo loves him, too. I look at him as an insult to Italian Americans whose first name is Tom and last name begins with D and has two capital letters.

I think his books say more about Thomas DiLorenzo than they do about Lincoln.

Agree. I read some of his "articles" at the aforementioned website and came to the conclusion that he is one step away from being a Grand Wizard.

Old 11 Jun 09, 20:55
General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals Winner, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200]
Anything by Sears is a must read. And it isn't a book, but the Ken Burns video series is a must also.
Old 11 Jun 09, 21:16
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100]
For those who have an hour, I offer this very informative interview with one T.DiLorenzo.

http://www.c-spanarchives.org/librar...ts_id=204650-1
Old 11 Jun 09, 23:58
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900]
hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJAdams View Post
For those who have an hour, I offer this very informative interview with one T.DiLorenzo.

http://www.c-spanarchives.org/librar...ts_id=204650-1
That man is such a hack.....& he belongs to some very racist organizations-at least one I can think of off the top of my head. White courtesy phone anyone?
Old 12 Jun 09, 10:25
General of the Forums
Hungary
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
For Those of Us with a Southen Persuasion

Damage Them All You Can (http://www.amazon.com/Damage-Them-Al.../dp/0312874456)

Lee's Lieutenants
(http://www.amazon.com/Lees-Lieutenan.../dp/0684859793)

The whole Virginia Regimental Histories series (http://www.bainesbooks.com/varegsrs.htm)

There are a few others but the names don't come to mind.

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
http://www.mormon.org
http://www.sca.org
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.scouting.org/
Old 12 Jun 09, 11:03
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Thanks a lot Janos, those books look like some great reading.
And thanks for providing links to buy the books.
Old 12 Jun 09, 11:30
Staff Sergeant
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos View Post
Damage Them All You Can (http://www.amazon.com/Damage-Them-Al.../dp/0312874456)

Lee's Lieutenants
(http://www.amazon.com/Lees-Lieutenan.../dp/0684859793)

The whole Virginia Regimental Histories series (http://www.bainesbooks.com/varegsrs.htm)

There are a few others but the names don't come to mind.
Janos,

Thanks for the link to Baines Books. I'm always on the lookout for reasonably priced copies of the Virginia regimentals. I'll need to place a large order there soon!
Old 12 Jun 09, 11:36
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy30 View Post
That man is such a hack.....& he belongs to some very racist organizations-at least one I can think of off the top of my head. White courtesy phone anyone?
Agreed, di Lorenzo comes off like he's the spokesman for the Klan.

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 12 Jun 09, 11:40
General of the Forums
Hungary
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bschulte View Post
Janos,

Thanks for the link to Baines Books. I'm always on the lookout for reasonably priced copies of the Virginia regimentals. I'll need to place a large order there soon!
Be sure you read about the Fredericksburg Artillery One of my relatives commanded it towards the end of the war. I really enjoy the series, the battles series is also good.

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
http://www.mormon.org
http://www.sca.org
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.scouting.org/
Old 14 Jul 09, 17:57
Banned
United_States

Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700]
http://www.civilwarreference.com/
Old 16 Jul 09, 15:42
ACG Forums - Air Marshall
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]

I got in the mail an unexpected gift from a friend this book: http://tinyurl.com/ktfpsc (amazon.com listing) and it deals with the Irish in the CSA Army. Written By Phillip Thomas Tucker who has written 15 other books about the Civil War, Irish and African American history. Mr. Tucker is also historian for the United States Air Force.

What struck my interest was the author noting the different reasons why the Irish fought for the Union and why they fought for the Confederacy. He states that the Irish fought for the Union so they could improve their life in the North where they were considered lower class than even the freed black men. He states the reasons they fought for the Confederacy was that the struggle between North and South mirrored their image of the struggle for Irish independence from Great Britain. Also that the Irish were a lot better assimilated in the South meant they did have more to lose.

The book is broken down into chapters which deal with famous Irish actions during the war. None of these dwell into major detail about the battle, but picks out the spots the Rebel Irish played a major role. Several times the Rebel Irish fought the Irish Brigade (which was portrayed in God's and Generals).

The Chapters include:

10th Louisiana vs. Irish Brigade at Malvern Hill.
2nd, 20th Georgia at Rohrbach Bridge -Sharpsburg.
24th Georgia vs. Irish Brigade at Fredericksburg.
1st Missouri Confederate Brigade. at Champion Hill.
15th Alabama at Little Round Top.
1st Virginia in Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg .
Davis Guards (All Irish) (Coy. F) 1st Texas Heavy Artillery at Sabine Pass.
10th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson.
What the book DOES NOT do is give a massive amount of detail to the battle other than to set up the role of the Irish in it. What is nice is that names of the Irish are given if known. And for Coy. F, 1st Texas Heavy Artillery the entire 47 man roster is given. Illustrations are plentiful for such a small book despite the inclusion of Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain which was just mystified me. Also nice is there is a larger bibliography than I would have expected for a book this size. Five pages out of 127 is nice. Also included is an index that makes referencing back easy. With a list price of $16.95 the book is easily available to all readers who are interested in the Forgotten Soldiers of the Civil War.

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Calling Nazis ratzis is an insult to rats around the world.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!