StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 26 Mar 08, 22:09
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900]
hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900]
Link to thread with Civil War OOB:
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...593#post889593

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/m...civil_war.html
Old 10 Apr 08, 15:08
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Loki is on the path to success [1-99] Loki is on the path to success [1-99] Loki is on the path to success [1-99] Loki is on the path to success [1-99]
Books:

Jeff Shara's "Gods and Generals"

Shara's "Gettysburg"

Shara's "Last Full Measure"

Thomas Ayres's "Dark and Bloody Ground" The Battle of Mansfield and the forgotten Civil War in Louisiana

And just for good measure: http://www.amazon.com/Politically-In.../dp/1596985003

EDIT by ADMIN (Hellboy30) Removed the Dilorenzo book. As stated at the beginning, no neo-con crap will be promoted & his is the worst.

Last edited by hellboy30; 10 Apr 08 at 15:25..
Old 14 May 09, 09:09
ACG Forums - Air Marshall
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Essential Civil War Library

What books do we consider the be the essentials of a good Civil War library?

1) Battle Cry of Freedom - James McPherson http://tinyurl.com/qtuehs
2) Generals in Blue - Ezra J. Warner http://tinyurl.com/qavuql
3) Generals in Gray - Ezra J. Warner http://tinyurl.com/p8u9lj
4) Co. Aytch - Sam Watkins http://tinyurl.com/pvh58q
5) Life of Billy Yank - Bell Irwin Wiley http://tinyurl.com/pp2n9s
6) Life of Johnny Reb - Bell Irwin Wiley http://tinyurl.com/obnm9n
7) Hardtack and Coffee - John D. Billings http://tinyurl.com/pmx8pw
8) Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant http://tinyurl.com/petulp
9) Lincoln's Cavalrymen - Edward Longacre http://tinyurl.com/puw4wl
10) Lee's Cavalrymen - Edward Longacre http://tinyurl.com/pqhbgh
11) Union Cavalry Comes of Age - Ed. Wittenberg http://tinyurl.com/odnl3s
12) Military Memoirs of a Confederate - E.P. Alexander http://tinyurl.com/onfgt5

13*) Fighting for the Confederacy -E.P. Alexander http://tinyurl.com/o7sq2p

* #12 is a critical analysis of the war by E.P. Alexander. #13 was written for his family and contains more personal anecdotes.

What other books should be in the essential civil war library?

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Calling Nazis ratzis is an insult to rats around the world.
Old 14 May 09, 10:33
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Shelby Foote- The Civil War A Narrative-http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Narr.../dp/0394749138

Stephen Sears- Gettysburg-http://www.amazon.com/Gettysburg-Ste.../dp/0395867614

Steven E. Woodworth- Nothing But Victory, The Army Of The Tennessee 1861-1865-http://www.amazon.com/Nothing-but-Vi...2311514&sr=1-5

Three titles I've really enjoyed.
Old 14 May 09, 11:36
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

BriteLite has demonstrated strength of character [100] BriteLite has demonstrated strength of character [100] BriteLite has demonstrated strength of character [100] BriteLite has demonstrated strength of character [100] BriteLite has demonstrated strength of character [100] BriteLite has demonstrated strength of character [100] BriteLite has demonstrated strength of character [100] BriteLite has demonstrated strength of character [100] BriteLite has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Hi Richard

Lee's Lieutenants: A Study in Command by DS Freeman. A bit archaic and Freeman was a Lee fanboy but the 3 volume set is a joy to read IMHO.

Plenty of Blame to Go Around: Jeb Stuart's Controversial Ride to Gettysburg by Eric Wittenberg and David Petruzzi belongs on the list if one has interest in the Gettysburg campaign.

ONE CONTINUOUS FIGHT: The Retreat from Gettysburg and the Pursuit of Lee's Army of Northern Virginia, July 4-14, 1863 co-authored by Eric is
his newest work being released this month. This will be on my shelf soon.http://www.ericwittenberg.com/index.htm

Edit Add
I rode with Jeb Stuart by Major Henry B McClellan. About 16 years since I last held it. Stirring and tragic account of the finest cavalry officer the nation has ever produced.

EP Alexander is my favorite contemporary author for the War.

Last edited by BriteLite; 14 May 09 at 11:49..
Sponsored Links

Old 14 May 09, 13:34
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Thank you, Nelson. I'm flattered.

Eric

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart
Old 14 May 09, 16:02
Sergeant
United_States

CATO1948 is on the path to success [1-99] CATO1948 is on the path to success [1-99]
I Rode with Stonewall by Henry Kid Douglas
Old 14 May 09, 16:48
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
I would have to think that Bruce Catton's trilogy on the Army of the Potomac would have to be a must for any list of this sort. It's what I cut my teeth on.

Eric

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart
Old 15 May 09, 10:49
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Richard,

Your list is spot on.......all additions are merely nitpicking. Here are some minor oversights.

Elijah Hunt Rhodes "All for the Union", plus two works of fiction.........

"The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara and

"Shiloh" by Shelby Foote

A second vote for E.P. Alexander as the best contempory writer regarding the war. Just a nose ahead of Grant.

Peace through superior firepower.

Last edited by Lance Williams; 15 May 09 at 10:54..
Old 15 May 09, 13:21
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

hiram242 is on the path to success [1-99] hiram242 is on the path to success [1-99] hiram242 is on the path to success [1-99] hiram242 is on the path to success [1-99]
"RE Lee" by Dr. Freeman, though BriteLite's comment IS true. (A one volume abridgment of each of the Freeman works is available).

"Co. Aytch", and Mr. Warner's books, have already been listed; they are, indeed, "essential".
Old 16 May 09, 10:16
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Glad to see so many good book recommendations. Now its a matter of finding the time to read them.
Old 16 May 09, 10:31
Staff Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

dean_1230 is on the path to success [1-99] dean_1230 is on the path to success [1-99] dean_1230 is on the path to success [1-99] dean_1230 is on the path to success [1-99]
This Hallowed Ground, by Bruce Catton, will introduce the whole war to you.

I second the two Eastern theater trilogies, Bruce Catton's Army of the Potomac trilogy and D.S Freeman's Lee's Lieutenants. Two fine reads of the battles that are most well known from the war. Both seem to be treated as "dated" now, especially Freeman's. Maybe someone can recommend a contemporary history of those armies as a comparison point (realizing, of course, that "the truth" is most likely somewhere in between).

Killer Angels, by Michael Shaara, is a good read also. It does give flavor to the Gettysburg battle, but it's a novel. As for the other two novels that Shaara's son wrote, they're good, but IMO, not as good...
Old 16 May 09, 21:16
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I think that Pfanz's books about Gettysburg (especially the first two), Martin's book about the first day at Gettysburg and Shue's book about the first few hours at Gettysburg are essential to understanding the development of the battle as well as Coddington.

In the western battles Shea and Hess' book about Pea Ridge, the book edited by Joiner and Smith about Shiloh, Smith's book about Champion Hill, Grabau's book about the Vicksburg campaign and Cozzens' trilogy about the battles between the AotC and the AoT are necessary (and eventually Powell will supercede the Chickamauga battle) and finally Noe's book about Perryville.

Finally, anything by Eric about cavalry in the East along with Powell and cav in the west.
Old 20 May 09, 23:45
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Battle Cry of Freedom stands alone in defining what brought the country to civil war. I'm currently reading it for the third time. The most amazing thing is how fractured this country was for decades leading up to the war!
Other books I would suggest;
"Thirty Years After" by Edwin Forbes
"Eye of the Storm" by Robert Knox Sneden
"In the arms of Providence" by Alice Rains Trulock
"Civil War Reminiscences of General Basil Duke" There are 2 versions of this. One he wrote just after the end of the war, the other in 1911. Both very interesting but I much prefer the first one.
"
A Scythe of Fire" by Warren Wilkinson"
"Killer Angels" , as dean said, is good a read but it IS a novel. I have a hard time enjoying a novel when there's so much reality to be had !

Last edited by LeanotLee; 21 May 09 at 00:01.. Reason: To add a comment.
Old 21 May 09, 08:19
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100]
It occurs to me that I forgot about about Wiley Sword's "Embrace An Angry Wind". Also, for reference, the Battles And Leaders" series as well as the ORs and Allardice's More Generals and Colonels as well as his Kentuckians.

William C. Davis' books about the Confederacy are helpful as well.

Oh, how could I forget Gordon Rhea's Overland Campaign series or Priest's and Sears' Antietam books?

Last edited by TomDeFranco; 21 May 09 at 08:21..
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!