HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Weider History Group Welcomes You! > Weider History Group Magazines > America's Civil War Magazine

Notices and Announcements

America's Civil War Magazine Discuss magazine articles and issues here.

Old 07 Mar 07, 12:58
Staff Sergeant
United_States

dtira is on the path to success [1-99] dtira is on the path to success [1-99]
Civil War Monument and/or Grave Site

Question from May 2007 America's Civil War magazine:

Is there a Civil War monument or grave site that particularly moves you? If so, what is it and why?

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 20 Mar 07, 12:10
Sergeant
United_States

J David Petruzz is on the path to success [1-99]
For me, it's every time I see a grave of a CW veteran marked "Unknown" which you especially see in National Cemeteries. I always think how sad it is that an unidentified soldier sleeps in a spot without name recognition - and the family that likely never knew what became of him. Touches me every time I see the Unknown section at Gettysburg, or Antietam. I always give them a salute and try to let them know that they are not forgotten.

J. David Petruzzi
Old 12 Apr 07, 17:00
Editor, America's Civil War Magazine
United_States

Dana Shoaf is on the path to success [1-99]
That's a really thoughtful response, J.D. I think the most moving CW grave I ever saw belonged to a soldier that served in the US Colored Troops during the Civil War. My wife and I were driving aroung the back roads of western Pa. when we came upon this little country cemetery of maybe 30 graves.

At the back edge of the cemetery, there was a lone war department white granite marker for this fellow. I realized that he had been buried on the fringes of the cemetery because blacks were often forced to buy such plots due to racism during the early 20th century when he died.

Made me sad to think this gent had served his country, but really wasn't given the proper respect for his service--all due to his race.
Dana
Old 21 Apr 07, 19:30
Staff Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hugh has disabled reputation
"Unknown Soldiers Monument" Milledgeville, GA

The grave(s) that will always have strong personal importance to me are the graves of the 23 Confederate soldiers buried together in Memory Hill Cemetery, Milledgeville, GA. In 1868 one of the first monuments to the Confederacy was erected over their graves bearing the inscription "unknown Confederate Dead." They had died at the local hospital and their identities were lost. It never occurred to me - or apparently to anyone - that their names might come to light. Then, in the spring of 2003, I was the right guy in the right place. I came across a primary source that listed the names of the men. I almost fell from my chair. I printed the list and drove to the cemetery. It was an emotional scene as I stood alone at that monument knowing I was the only person on earth who knew the names of the men buried there. Along with the 1868 Unknown Soldiers Monument there is now a large granite marker with a bronze tablet listing their names, death dates, and units along with an explanation of how these men came to be there. They each also have a Veterans Administration marker. I walk in that cemetery almost every day and will often salute "my men" as I pass by.

Hugh
Remembering Milledgeville
More Milledgeville Memories
Annie Abbott, The Little Georgia Magnet and the True Story of Dixie Haygood
www.hughharrington.com
www.annieabbott.com
Old 22 Apr 07, 08:10
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800]
hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800]
There are several that either take my breath away or really make me think. I like the Robert Gould Shaw (54th Mass) Memorial:
The New York Peace Memorial at Point Park on Top of Lookout Mountain, Chattanooga: The "Sunken Lane" at Antietam: There are many others, but these are some of the biggies for me.
Old 22 Apr 07, 12:18
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arlington,

cold stone pages marked with US History. Each time I enter there, I feel humbled.

HP

If God wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates.*

NO one wins a war!!!! They just lose less.
Old 25 Apr 07, 10:35
United_States

Half Pint, I know what you mean about the imnpact of Arlington. I get the same type of feeling when I go the the National Cemeteries on battlefields. Yesterday, I was at the Antietam Battlefield near Sharpsburg, and I stopped at the cemetery. The graves their are "guarded" by Old Simon, a gargantuan statue of a Union soldier wearing an overcoat. The overcoat is symbolic because it indicates vigilance in all seasons of the year. What a place, gives me the mournful chills every time.
Dana
Old 26 Apr 07, 10:00
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 

Iron Brigade is on the path to success [1-99] Iron Brigade is on the path to success [1-99] Iron Brigade is on the path to success [1-99] Iron Brigade is on the path to success [1-99] Iron Brigade is on the path to success [1-99]
I'm not sure which one really invokes those feelings most in me. I was only to one of the big battlefields once in my life; like 7 years ago. So, I really can't think of anything. But, if I do remember one, I'll tell.

But, if it's like the overall, it had to be at Gettysburg. There was such a peacful, yet...um...can't think of the right words to describe it. I guess, that it tries to make you feel respect, as if it is hallowed ground. You know what I mean?
Old 27 Apr 07, 13:06
Corporal
United_States

skipperbob is on the path to success [1-99] skipperbob is on the path to success [1-99]
For me it would have to be here at this moument to the 147th NY near the railroad cut at Gettysburg. These men came from Oswego County, I had two relatives in this regiment. This was their first action and they were thrown into the desperate fighting on July 1st - the first infantry brigade to reach the field from Reynolds Corps. They were caught up in a terrible fight that lasted just half an hour and they lost over 70% of their men in just these few minutes. I cannot imagine what that experience must have been like but it puts a real personal touch on what this and all the other mouments mean. Those men were not stone but flesh and blood, and the ground I am standing on was the same ground my relatives fought, and died on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05-09-2006 11;28;14AM.JPG (168.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by skipperbob; 27 Apr 07 at 13:08.. Reason: Attacment
Old 27 Apr 07, 14:22
United_States

Didn't the 147th find itself way out in front of the other regiments of its brigade? I think we ran an article on that several years ago.
Dana

Old 27 Apr 07, 14:36
Corporal
United_States

skipperbob is on the path to success [1-99] skipperbob is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Shoaf View Post
Didn't the 147th find itself way out in front of the other regiments of its brigade? I think we ran an article on that several years ago.
Dana
Yes they did. Because of a wound suffered by their Colonel they did not get the order to retreat when the rest of the brigade did, so they stayed and fought until over run by a Confederate brigade. The survivors re-grouped on Cemetary Hill and actually took part in fighting on Culps Hill on July 2 and 3rd. They were one of only two Union regiments who fought all three days at Gettysburg. The 147th served through the Overland Campaign right up to Appomattox and is ranked as one of the top ten Union Regiments in number of casualties, over 100% (including new enlistments). Sad, but there are probably not thirty people in Oswego who realize what these men went through. There is a nice monument in our East Park that I'm sure almost no one ever pays any attention to.
Old 27 Apr 07, 20:20
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
For me, it's Oakwood Cemetery in Louisa, VA. There are about 100 Confederate battle dead there from the Battle of Trevilian Station. However, what's particularly moving about it is the common grave where the three Towles brothers are buried. All three served in Company A, 4th Virginia Cavalry, and all were mortally wounded in action over a period of about eight months in 1863 and 1864. Their father had them disinterred and buried in Louisa where Robert, the third and last to die, succumbed to his combat wound on the first day at Trevilian Station. It's an incredibly moving thing to stand by that grave marker and realize what it really represents.

Eric

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart
Old 06 May 07, 13:38
Staff Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hugh has disabled reputation
I must be getting old and slow of mind.
I completely forgot about visiting Andersonville, site of the infamous prison. If ever a place was haunted or frequented by spectors of those who lived/died there this is it. I've been there alone at dawn and it fills you with emotion. Walking amongst the rows of shoulder to shoulder tombstones you cannot help but feel, among many other things, that you're not alone.

Hugh
Remembering Milledgeville
More Milledgeville Memories
Annie Abbott, The Little Georgia Magnet and the True Story of Dixie Haygood
www.hughharrington.com
www.annieabbott.com
Old 07 May 07, 16:46
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 

Iron Brigade is on the path to success [1-99] Iron Brigade is on the path to success [1-99] Iron Brigade is on the path to success [1-99] Iron Brigade is on the path to success [1-99] Iron Brigade is on the path to success [1-99]
My mom is 'sensitive'. She can feel and see the dead when she visits battlefields. She saw Jackson get shot down at Chancellorsville. But, when we were at the Jennie Wade house, she was most desturbed of all our trip to the big sites. She could see Jennie's dead body. Really wierd.
Old 08 May 07, 11:37
Recruit
United_States

IN 25th is a balanced individual [0]
"Question from May 2007 America's Civil War magazine:
Is there a Civil War monument or grave site that particularly moves you? If so, what is it and why?
Diane Tira
Website Manager, HistoryNet.com"

The 1st MA Inf. @ Gettysburg monument in the July ACW is an absolutely stunning piece of stone carving / work of art. The ability to ship it from RI to Gettysburg by wagon; assemble the various parts with block and tackle; and not break the rifle almost defies the imagination.
While I’m slightly off topic (Civil War monument…… that particularly moves you?) The article stated: “The 1st Massachusetts served in numerous battles from 1861 to1864, but the survivors of the regiment, like many Union veterans, wanted their memorial at Gettysburg.” This implies that the Regiment got to pick where their monument would go, is this the case for all Union Regiments? and if that is the case can you point me in the right direction to find the Indiana 25thVol.Regiment.

Thanks Terry

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!