StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Weapons of War

Notices and Announcements

Weapons of War The machinery of warfare. .

Old 16 Jul 07, 19:24
ACG Forums - Air Marshall
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
Heres something I found in front of a veterans club in central Indiana. If you can ID it please give a source as I'd like to read up on it.

Hint: the data plate places it post year 1900.
It's Bob! Actually it is a Hotchkiss 1pdr.

Data can be found here: http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_1pounder_m1.htm

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Calling Nazis ratzis is an insult to rats around the world.
Old 18 Jul 07, 12:05
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800]
Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800]
The US Ordinance Dept data plate identified it as a Model 1917 from the Bethlehem Steel Corporation.
Old 09 Aug 07, 11:30
First Sergeant
Pirate

M.Joensen is on the path to success [1-99] M.Joensen is on the path to success [1-99] M.Joensen is on the path to success [1-99] M.Joensen is on the path to success [1-99] M.Joensen is on the path to success [1-99] M.Joensen is on the path to success [1-99]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 10 Aug 07, 04:36
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

No_Nickname is simply cracking [600]
No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600]
I think it looks like a 152mm self-propelled gun howitzer also know as "DANA".
"You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop
Old 10 Aug 07, 05:23
First Sergeant
Pirate

M.Joensen is on the path to success [1-99] M.Joensen is on the path to success [1-99] M.Joensen is on the path to success [1-99] M.Joensen is on the path to success [1-99] M.Joensen is on the path to success [1-99] M.Joensen is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Nickname View Post
I think it looks like a 152mm self-propelled gun howitzer also know as "DANA".
It is

The info that goes with the picture.

The DANA was the first wheeld self-propelled howitzer to enter service in modern times. Wheeled vehicles have the advantage of being cheaper to build and easier to maintain, with greater strategic mobility. First seen in 1980, the DANA was built by Skoda and was based on the 8x8 Tatra 815 truck, the best off-road truck in existence at the time. Tyre pressure can be regulated to allow good mobility over rough terrain, and steering is power-assisted on the front four wheels. It carries three hydraulic stabilisers to be lowerd into the ground before firing, and carries a crane on the roof to assist with loading the ammunition. Rate of fire is three rounds per minute for a period of 30 minutes, and the vehicle is in service in Libya, Poland, Russia, the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

Country of origin: Czechoslovakia
Crew: 4 to 5
Weight: 23000kg
Lenght: 10,5m
Width: 2,8m
Height: 2,6m
Range: 600km
Armour: 12,7mm
Armament: one 152mm gun; one 12,7mm machine gun
Powerplant: one V-12 diesel engine developing 345hp
Performance: maximum road speed 80km/h; fording 1,4m; vertical obstacle 1,5m; trenc 1,4m
Old 10 Aug 07, 05:59
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

No_Nickname is simply cracking [600]
No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600]
Hmmmm that was a good pic. Took me a while to think of it.
"You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop
Old 17 Aug 07, 16:57
Staff Sergeant
Austria
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Fritzthemoose is on the path to success [1-99]
and one more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gun.jpg (94.4 KB, 48 views)
Old 18 Aug 07, 11:11
First Sergeant
Pirate

Is it the Skoda-built 15cm schwere feldhaubitze...?
Old 18 Aug 07, 11:19
Staff Sergeant
Austria
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Joensen View Post
Is it the Skoda-built 15cm schwere feldhaubitze...?
you are on the right track here. Yes it is 15cm, yes it is Skoda build (like nearly all artillery pieces of the KuK Army), however its not the 15 schwere Haubitze M.99/4
Old 18 Aug 07, 11:25
First Sergeant
Pirate

It's the M.14
Sponsored Links

Old 18 Aug 07, 11:30
Staff Sergeant
Austria
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
It's the M.14
only know of one M 14 and thats the

10 cm Turmhaubitze M.14

which is not the one on the pic
Old 18 Aug 07, 11:49
First Sergeant
Pirate

I've got a book here (Artillery, missiles & military transport by Christopher Chant), that says that the Austro-Hungarian army's standard heavy field howitzer was the Skoda-built 15cm schwere feldhaubitze M.14 with a barrel of 149,1mm calibre L/14.
But I'm willing to accept that just because it says so in a book it isi'nt necessarily true.
Old 18 Aug 07, 11:55
Staff Sergeant
Austria
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
I've got a book here (Artillery, missiles & military transport by Christopher Chant), that says that the Austro-Hungarian army's standard heavy field howitzer was the Skoda-built 15cm schwere feldhaubitze M.14 with a barrel of 149,1mm calibre L/14.
But I'm willing to accept that just because it says so in a book it isi'nt necessarily true.
dont know this one but its not the M-14 anyway even if there was a M-14 in 15cm.
Old 18 Aug 07, 13:05
First Sergeant
Pirate

Quote:
I'll try one more, then I'll quit...I swear
Done some more reading.
A model 14/16 was developed with new barrel and ammunition, which improved the overall range of the gun.
M.14/16
Old 18 Aug 07, 13:11
Staff Sergeant
Austria
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
I'll try one more, then I'll quit...I swear
Done some more reading.
A model 14/16 was developed with new barrel and ammunition, which improved the overall range of the gun.
M.14/16
you are very very close but not yet

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!