HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Weapons of War

Notices and Announcements

Weapons of War The machinery of warfare. .

Old 09 Sep 09, 08:28
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vathra View Post
As far as I understood text, when gun is fired it goes automatically to loading position, and after loading it automatically goes to firing and repeat cycle.
I gathered the automatic preperation for loading but not the second part.

Quote:
Very nice video. I guess they are doing it completely by firing procedure?
Not quite. The low charge allows dispensing with the laynard and direct trigger by hand. Also they are not swabing the chamber between shots with water. Technically both safety violations in training. The section chief is checking the sight and elevation after the gunner and assistant gunner. He is also checking the powder man & the excess charges (off camera). Eliminating those steps would cut a few more seconds off the loading cycle.

The low charge also reduces time to return to battery after recoil by a second or two.
Old 09 Sep 09, 08:48
Captain
Yugoslavia

vathra is on the path to success [1-99] vathra is on the path to success [1-99] vathra is on the path to success [1-99] vathra is on the path to success [1-99] vathra is on the path to success [1-99] vathra is on the path to success [1-99] vathra is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
Not quite. The low charge allows dispensing with the laynard and direct trigger by hand. Also they are not swabing the chamber between shots with water. Technically both safety violations in training. The section chief is checking the sight and elevation after the gunner and assistant gunner. He is also checking the powder man & the excess charges (off camera). Eliminating those steps would cut a few more seconds off the loading cycle.

The low charge also reduces time to return to battery after recoil by a second or two.
Thank you for info.
I noticed that they could do some actions quicker, so I thought they are going completely by the rules.
BTW, why is it necessary to swab chamber with a water?
Old 09 Sep 09, 23:18
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Thank you for info.
I noticed that they could do some actions quicker, so I thought they are going completely by the rules.
BTW, why is it necessary to swab chamber with a water?
1. If the fibre or cloth bag of the propellant does not burn completely a 'spark' may remain, which would ignite the propellant at the wrong moment.

2. Rapid fire with high charges on a hot day will make the chamber/breech to hot to touch. A high enough temperature & the metal could ignite the propellant. Evaporating water carries the heat off faster.

In school (circa 1983) the instructors told us #1 was unlikely due to measures in modern propellant manufactor. #2 was still a consideration.

The M198 howitzer in the video has a temperature gauge on the breech which measures temp on or near the chamber surface. I only saw it move from the Green to Yellow zone when in the Mojave Desert, and never saw one indicate in the Red zone.

There is another video where a crew on the same model cannon manage three shots in 20 seconds. It that case the ammo seems to have been prepared in advance.

You have a background in Artillery? A crewman or officer perhaps?

Last edited by Carl Schwamberg; 09 Sep 09 at 23:20..
Old 10 Sep 09, 03:43
Captain
Yugoslavia

vathra is on the path to success [1-99] vathra is on the path to success [1-99] vathra is on the path to success [1-99] vathra is on the path to success [1-99] vathra is on the path to success [1-99] vathra is on the path to success [1-99] vathra is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
You have a background in Artillery? A crewman or officer perhaps?
Oh no, my interest is purely amateur.
I was in communication unit in army some ten years ago. I spent most of time with the olde induction telephone.

My father was officer in Air force, so I have interest in military equipment from him.
Old 11 Sep 09, 04:52
Captain
Denmark

AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEP View Post
So this will probably be just as easy... But I like the picture

I don't think anyone has had a stab at this yet.

HINT: This was meant to be the US Army's next-generation self-propelled howitzer, but it was cancelled in 2002.
Sponsored Links

Old 11 Sep 09, 04:57
Captain
Yugoslavia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM2001_Crusader
Nice system, but came too late
Old 11 Sep 09, 14:51
Captain
Denmark

AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM2001_Crusader
Nice system, but came too late
And you got this one too Vathra
Old 11 Sep 09, 16:59
Colonel
Germany
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Kruska has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kruska has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kruska has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kruska has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kruska has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kruska has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kruska has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kruska has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kruska has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Hello fellows,

how come that in most cases I can only see a white box with a red x on it, which I can't open either?

Regards
WildeSau
Old 11 Sep 09, 18:30
Captain
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildeSau View Post
Hello fellows,

how come that in most cases I can only see a white box with a red x on it, which I can't open either?

Regards
WildeSau
Not sure why the images, in your case, refuse to load, but if people also attach any image they post, then you can refer to that one instead.

Note to self: Make sure to always attach the image as well
Old 11 Sep 09, 18:36
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
IIRC, isn't that a GPS calibrator for the Pallidan?
Old 11 Sep 09, 18:40
Captain
Yugoslavia

Here is one more tracked gun on eastern front...
Old 11 Sep 09, 19:22
Captain
Denmark

Quote:
Here is one more tracked gun on eastern front...
Canon de 194 mle GPF
Old 11 Sep 09, 19:26
Captain
Yugoslavia

Quote:
Canon de 194 mle GPF
Well done!
French WW1 artillery piece, used by Germans in WW2.
Old 14 Sep 09, 14:48
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon CWiE 1939-45 Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
I don't think anyone has had a stab at this yet.

HINT: This was meant to be the US Army's next-generation self-propelled howitzer, but it was cancelled in 2002.
Looks like the Crusader, Jeez... its even bigger than I thought it was!
-The Exorcist

Old 14 Sep 09, 17:22
Captain
Yugoslavia

And on this boat we see?
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!