HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Weapons of War

Notices and Announcements

Weapons of War The machinery of warfare. .

Old 26 Feb 07, 21:20
Staff Sergeant
United_States

djrost_2000 is on the path to success [1-99] djrost_2000 is on the path to success [1-99]
China Can Destroy Satellites, How Can We Compensate?

Now that China has demonstrated the ability to destroy satellites in space (and Russia has probably had the ability for some time), how do we compensate if we were to be in a war with them. Navigation, guidance systems and communications are often satellite-based. Do we have non-satellite backups to all systems that are satellite-based?

Dave

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 26 Feb 07, 21:26
ACG Forums - General Staff
UK
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrost_2000 View Post
Now that China has demonstrated the ability to destroy satellites in space (and Russia has probably had the ability for some time), how do we compensate if we were to be in a war with them. Navigation, guidance systems and communications are often satellite-based. Do we have non-satellite backups to all systems that are satellite-based?

Dave
I know of a navigation based one, but I don't think the US is too well trained in it's use (from the stories I've heard, not personal experience).

It's called "A map"...

Old 26 Feb 07, 21:34
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign 

Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300]
I think what we need to focus on now is the ability to achieve space with no interdiction. Imagine this scenario: Our C2 and Nav system satellites are taken out, and that enemy has the capability to target platforms shortly after launch before they achieve stable orbit, thereby completely denying us space.

We have secondary capabilities, although I don't think they are as effective, especially when it comes to communications. I think we would be limited to line of sight and tropo systems. Data links would be severely hampered, frustrating C2 at the strategic level. Tactically we could fall back on what we have on hand now at Division and below. I am by no means a commo/space guru, but I really don't like the idea of having to fight without space dominance. I write from an Army standpoint, and If I am not mistaken I think the Navy and Air Force are even more dependent on space.

Navigation wise, nothing wrong with the old tried and true map and compass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listy View Post
I know of a navigation based one, but I don't think the US is too well trained in it's use (from the stories I've heard, not personal experience). It's called "A map"...

I disagree. Usually the guy lost is the guy not taking the time to use the map period.

Last edited by Arkane; 26 Feb 07 at 21:38..
Old 26 Feb 07, 22:34
UK
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkane View Post
I disagree. Usually the guy lost is the guy not taking the time to use the map period.
Possibly. The stories I heard where during an navigation Exercise a US arty officer was given a ten figure grid ref, and got confused. when asked how they aimed a specific location, he shrugged and said

"well, we just remove the whole Grid square."

Old 26 Feb 07, 22:39
Brigadier General
United_States
March Offensive 5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award Summer Campaign 

Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300] Scout32 is on a distinguished road [300]
I disagree. Usually the guy lost is the guy not taking the time to use the map period.[/QUOTE]

Like a 2d LT.
Scouts Out
Old 26 Feb 07, 23:00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign 

Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300] Arkane is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout32 View Post
Like a 2d LT.
Scouts Out[/QUOTE]

Old saying: what are 3 things you never give an LT? A map, a compass, and a dog.
Old 27 Feb 07, 00:15
Staff Sergeant
United_States

djrost_2000 is on the path to success [1-99] djrost_2000 is on the path to success [1-99]
That's just the point. A 2nd Lt. may very well be a poor navigator because of lack of experience. We've been reliant on GPS navigation for some time now, and how do we suddenly switch back to sextant/compass/taking fixes etc. etc. if satellites are knocked out and no one has much experience navigating the old way?

Dave
Old 27 Feb 07, 01:26
UK

Quote:
That's just the point. A 2nd Lt. may very well be a poor navigator because of lack of experience. We've been reliant on GPS navigation for some time now, and how do we suddenly switch back to sextant/compass/taking fixes etc. etc. if satellites are knocked out and no one has much experience navigating the old way?

Dave
We who

Talk for yourself, Map reading and navigating are taught to all ranks over here.

Oh and to add to your panic, there's the alternate European navigation cluster that's planned/going up. So if the Commies took out the GPS cluster but left the European one up and where using that....
Old 27 Feb 07, 01:30
Colonel
Pirate
March Offensive Model Forum Group Build 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 

Wolster is on a distinguished road [300] Wolster is on a distinguished road [300] Wolster is on a distinguished road [300] Wolster is on a distinguished road [300] Wolster is on a distinguished road [300] Wolster is on a distinguished road [300] Wolster is on a distinguished road [300] Wolster is on a distinguished road [300] Wolster is on a distinguished road [300] Wolster is on a distinguished road [300] Wolster is on a distinguished road [300] Wolster is on a distinguished road [300] Wolster is on a distinguished road [300] Wolster is on a distinguished road [300] Wolster is on a distinguished road [300]
Does this mean my 'In Car Sat Nav' won't work anymore??? How am I going to find my way on the 300yd journey to the shops now??

Old 27 Feb 07, 07:47
UK

Quote:

Dave
If you're still worried, there's no signs of a really big war coming soon with anyone who has the ability to shoot down Satellites, so start re-teaching Map reading (along with Vehicle ID) to Everyone. Emphasise the Use of GPS as an aid not the be all and end all of navigation.
Sponsored Links

Old 27 Feb 07, 11:48
Brigadier General
Sweden
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 

Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200]
A handheld GPS is a brillaint device to store dead batteries in
Old 27 Feb 07, 13:11
Staff Sergeant
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listy View Post
If you're still worried, there's no signs of a really big war coming soon with anyone who has the ability to shoot down Satellites, so start re-teaching Map reading (along with Vehicle ID) to Everyone. Emphasise the Use of GPS as an aid not the be all and end all of navigation.
What if China exports the technology or hardware to destroy satellites, to a nation unfriendly to us?
Old 27 Feb 07, 13:14
UK

Better get training on those maps right sharpish like then, hadn't you?

Seriosuly, the sheer scale of anti-satatelite weapom instaltions will give it's pressence away faily quickly and it can get clobbered.

Basicly I think it's Headless Chicken time, and your worrying too much.
Old 27 Feb 07, 14:48
Staff Sergeant
United_States

I'd be the first to agree that I worry too much I'm the kind of guy who likes to think of things other people may not be thinking of. I'd make a great urban neurotic

Peace,

Dave
Old 27 Feb 07, 16:07
Brigadier General
Sweden
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 

Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
What if China exports the technology or hardware to destroy satellites, to a nation unfriendly to us?
Why all this fear about destroying sattelites when there is another smoother way to reduce their usefullness.

USNI crashcourse on GPS Jamming

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!