StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 06 Jun 13, 00:02
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Done a number of miniatures games such as:

Panzerkriegsakademie. A miniatures game for 1/35th to 1/285th WW 2 armor.

Quote:
Panzerkriegsakademie oder
Frontfuhrungschule

A realistic simulation of combined arms warfare
designed to show the principles of command

In war, numbers alone confer no advantage...Sun Tzu

In war, the moral is to the physical as three is to one…Napoleon

For it is not by the numbers of the combatants but by their orderly array and their bravery that prowess in war is wont to be measured...Procopius

SECTION I: GENERAL PRINCIPLES

1.0 INTRODUCTION:

PANZERKRIEGSAKADEMIE is a unique simulation of small unit tactics during World War II. In scale it is tactical level and primarily designed for use with units involved in the ETO during the period June 1943 to May 1945.
PANZERKRIEGSAKADEMIE is different from many wargames in that the "soft factors" such as initiative, command control, and morale of the troops are not an optional add on at the end of the rules. These factors are an integral part of the game THE MAIN PART. Taking data from a wide range of combat studies, the authors have created a game that seeks to accurately simulate the effect of combat on the men involved rather than on their hardware. If you want a parking lot game with vehicles parked bumper to bumper while the players hurl die at one another it is recommended that you purchase some other set of rules.
PANZERKRIEGSAKADEMIE is organized into three sections. The first section deals with some basic terms of military organization and how to mount and organize your units prior to playing the game. This section should be skimmed through at first reading as it is only necessary to understand the authors’ use of terms such as "STAND" which will appear throughout this book. Later on you will wish to read this section carefully to ensure that your units are mounted and organized in a manner consistent with the rules.
The second section deals with the soft factors of morale, initiative, command control, etc. This section should be read carefully as these factors will control the fighting ability of your men much more than their hardware. Even a Tiger tank with a crew of losers is just so much junk collecting rust. This section will also show you how to fill out the roster sheet for each of your units, which will record all these factors in short, each units fighting ability.
The final section of the rules is the hard factors section. This section deals with shooting and getting shot at, movement, indirect fire, etc. Due to the game scale the authors were forced (against their will) to make the hard factors section as comprehensive and accurate as any other game on the market, or more so. However, this section need not be memorized. Hard factors are easy. All the hard factors are summarized on the flip charts and wheels provided with the game. These are easy to manipulate with a basic understanding of the rules. While these rules may appear to be complicated at first glance, much is really common sense so don't let the length of this booklet bother you.
A final word: The authors have not done all your thinking for you. Occasionally a situation will arise which is not specifically covered in these rules or you may wish to do something that you know a unit can do but which isn't mentioned. Other things have been left out because they are (or should be) obvious; such as, for example, that a line of sight should simply be determined visually or with a piece of string, or whether or not a vehicle is hull down.
In all cases the idea is USE COMMON SENSE. If a unit could or did do something that we haven't mentioned then by all means allow it if it is both rational and historical. Sheer space limitations preclude us covering every possible point in legalese and for this reason, if no other, persons using these rules should have at least a basic understanding of World War II combat. Good Hunting!
Others include a miniatures modern naval warfare game, and a WW 2 miniatures aircraft game.
Old 08 Jun 13, 00:15
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
A "small" company action in Panzerkriegsakademie rules:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_0003.jpg (218.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Img_0004.jpg (243.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Img_0005.jpg (230.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Img_0006.jpg (281.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Img_0008.jpg (246.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 18 Feb 15, 17:06
Private
United_States

jwhofer is on the path to success [1-99]
I once attempted to design my own board on Landgrab (a online Risk site in which players can design their own boards). I tried making a map of South Dakota with its counties and reservations. I failed miserably, but Landgrab does have some amazing user-created Risk maps.
Old 22 Feb 15, 08:38
General of the Forums
Finland
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
I've been toying for years, every now and then hatching new ideas. I am trying to do something very complicated but in a simple way...maybe one day this will bring some fruits.
Old 28 Feb 15, 00:29
General of the Forums
United_States

Here's the intro to another set of rules I designed:

Quote:
MUSTANGS AND MESSERSCHMITTS REVISED RULES SET
INTRODUCTION

This set of rules is intended as both an update of and, a revision of, the third edition Mustangs and Messerschmitts rules. The author has tried to retain the flavor of the original game, while enhancing the accuracy and historical correctness of the rules. These being two areas that the original game has serious deficiencies in. Players having experience with the original rules will find that these rules have major differences in the subtleties of play from the original and, that they follow historical precedent more closely.
The third edition Mustangs and Messerschmitts rules, whether they were intended to be or not, produce a game which grossly exaggerates the importance of the traditional horizontal dogfight. By tying most, if not all, maneuvers directly to an aircraft's turn schedule and placing rigid restrictions on vertical maneuvers this type of outcome was inevitable. Further, the omission of energy in the form of an accurate zoom climb, dive recovery and, engine acceleration rule pushed the game into one primarily of horizontal maneuver. This minimizing of the degrees of freedom a player has in performing aerobatic maneuvers severely affects the game. Acceleration, rates of turn (especially in climbing and diving turns), dive recovery, sustained and zoom climbing and, climb and dive rates are all fixed in the original rules. Thus, a player can always calculate what potential moves an opponent can make to a large degree. A player armed with the certain knowledge that his opponent has little or no choice in his next (or next several) move(s) can easily optimize his own movement choices. With this set of rules this is no longer possible.
With this in mind, players are forewarned that this is no longer a "dogfight" intensive game. Aircraft in the original game that had good dogfight capabilities of course still do but, they no longer are the dominant type of aircraft. This rules set reflects historical precedent (and the laws of physics) which demonstrate that altitude and power are the dominant factors in WW II aerial combat, not the ability to make tight circles as the Mustangs and Messerschmitts rules would have you believe.
Old 30 Jul 15, 11:36
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
My efforts were a number of years ago and included an operational level (Battalion) D-Day until (roughly) the end of June and a tactical level game of Tarawa.

The D-Day game wasn't TOO bad. However, it took days to play. (...and the number of "units"..... impossible!)

The Tarawa game was a complete bust. All the japs could do was set up and "take it". The Americans, once they figured out the proper way to "attack"... well, it became boring very soon.

I am currently fooling around with Panzer Leader/Panzer Blitz. I found a site that had copies of every platoon level units in the war and took double copies of them and glued them onto regular pieces..... unfortunately I now have literally thousands of pieces. Then there is the complexity of rules because of my desire to play the games sans "opponent". Thus the rules are now thirty typewritten pages and I don't have the paras' rules done.

This one, too, is going to get trashed. (I just can't bring myself to toss all those pieces!)

GG

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-
Old 30 Jul 15, 11:39
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Oh Yeah! I toyed around with 15mm Nepoleonics for a while. Never played much, but the painting was fun and the Army(s) were most colorful.

GG

Old 30 Jul 15, 14:02
General
UK
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

flash has a spectacular aura about [400]
flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400]
I came up with a solitaire type game back in my army days,it was designed to help me through the long periods of intense boredom common to all squaddies.

It was about being a RAF bomber command crew engaged in flying against Germany at night.
It worked purely on probabilities and loss statistics but some of the chances I used then would be much more realistic now.

Basically one rolled for which target to hit,this then gave you the rough FLAK estimates and the distance gave you the likelihood of being intercepted by a fighter.
there was a take off roll.
A predetermined number of ingress/interception rolls.
A FLAK roll determined by the target.
There's the same amount of egress rolls.
A landing roll,determined by having been hit or not.

There was no board,all I needed was a notepad,a pencil and a bag of die,something I could readily hump around with me.

It kept me happy and sane and I've often thought about resurrecting it to incorporate facts and figures which weren't available to me way back then.

The aim of the game was simply to survive the operational tour of 30 trips,no bombing was involved.

Last edited by flash; 30 Jul 15 at 14:13..
Old 30 Jul 15, 14:11
General of the Forums
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Well I've tried, but found that I would need to focus on more planning and such to get them to actually work lol.

--Hávamál
Old 30 Jul 15, 15:32
Major
England

Lāčplēsis is on the path to success [1-99] Lāčplēsis is on the path to success [1-99] Lāčplēsis is on the path to success [1-99] Lāčplēsis is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Have any of you ever tried designing your own wargame?

I am guessing almost all of us have had a go at doing it – with varying degrees of success.

What kind of problems did you face in doing it and did the project ever see print, or was it confined to the back of a wardrobe never to see the light of day?

I remember when I was younger I had some attempts to come up with a rules system for a Napoleonic tabletop wargame – but it was extremely simplistic, although, today that seems to be a growing trend. I playtested it with a friend for a summer, but then our interest just seemed to drop off.

Heading up a school wargames club in UK I also tried my hand at WW2 wargame design, using plastic 1/72 soldiers. Unfortunately my audience was more interested in making tank noises and driving around the tabletop – so that project crashed and burned.

So that’s my two major embarrassments out of the way (and there is no way on any god’s earth that I would post the rules in public). What about you guys? Successes and failures welcome.
Sounds somehow familiar!

In truth I guess I was more interested in the painting and modelling side of things... well... I went into graphics as a day job. I am guessing, looking back on things I was more interested in the finished 'product' than the nitty-gritty of calculation. Then again, it gradually dawned on me that at 1/72, even what seemed the freedom of a whole cellar, just would never cut it for a recreation of El-Alamein. Seemed a good idea at the time though.

Old 20 Oct 15, 21:53
Private
United_States

Jessika is a balanced individual [0]
i come up with several small 1,2, or more small little games needing paper, pencil, dice, maybe some cards or note cards. Risk is fairly easy enough to mimic just write in the reinforcement numbers... it actually can be made more strategic by tweaking than using traditional pieces and rules.
Old 20 Oct 15, 22:02
Lieutenant General
United_States

wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300]
I have ran SEOW campaigns and it is free and easy to customize. I recommend it if you are serious about complex computer gaming and like air combat.

AI is of course the weak link but if you are interested I can discuss the fine points with anyone.

http://seowhq.net/seowwiki-en/index.php?title=Main_Page
Old 06 Nov 15, 08:02
Private First Class
Canada

Zedder is on the path to success [1-99]
Cool topic to stumble into.

I'm currently in the process of designing a game. I first started the process about a year ago. But when I started, I was conceptualizing a city builder phone app game. I put 6 months into that. Couple hundred pages of documents. Big plans. In concept, an excellent game. So much learning. Googling.

Amongst my googling, I found out that It was too big a project / mountain for me to continue so I shelf'd it. Stepped back for a few months.

Dusted it off and reworked it into a game board game. Which although isn't at a "military clash of clans" level of work it's still a huge project. That concept is pretty advanced but I've since switched gears again and will first launch a card game version of the game. Board game to follow 6 months after.

Countless hours, but thoroughly enjoyable process. I don't have the gaming background as most that venture into this do, so a bit more challenging, which I enjoy.

I presently have a post up in the WW2 section panhandling for knowledge on tanks and such.

But I'll throw up updates here later in the process if anyone is interested.

What was once complex mechanics for a potential app is now simplified down to a risk'like board, with some dice and a bunch of cards. It's streamlined and easy to get into. Getting all positive feedback so far.
Old 26 Feb 16, 21:19
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Found a site that has a BUNCH of mapboards. I ordered in a few, mounted them on 1/8 inch plywood (after trying postboard) and suddenly I have a new playing field for my troops.

Same site has numerous different playing Nations/troops, including Minors involved with WWII. All they need now is Chinese troops and the world will have been covered!

At any rate, the new mapboards have opened up a plethora of battles, both real and imagined. (The site, for anyone interested, is 2xs, and is listed on ebay as well as on its own.)

So.... I have started playing around with the rules and the situations and have gotten games down to two to three hours..... and THAT is reasonable.

Suddenly things are not so dim! (Did I mention the Desert mapboards? Can be incorporated with Arab/Israeli Wars maps.... Africa Corps here we come.)

GG

Old 27 Feb 16, 00:38
Brigadier General
Australia
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200]
designing a workable "system" of your own, and all the sub systems you need to make the game mechanics run, and finally balance the thing, is not easy at all.

wrgame designers in the seventies and eighties made much use of other people's ideas, mixing and matching systems to come up with a new "brew"

Games that i consider had original systems....

Storm Over arnhem/Thunder At cassino

Turning Point At stalingrad

Peloponesyian Wars (Vivtory Games solitair design, where you had to "switch sides" and play against yourself.

The original "Squad Leader" and its 12 scenario package.

SPI's "A Mighty fortress"

Diplomacy

Victory Games "Carrier", simply the best solitaire system on the market, AND the most realisic design of carrier warfare in the solomons, IMHO.

Mosby's Raiders

Dave Isby's "Air Force"

Rich Hamblen's "Victory in the Pacific".

The avalon hill reissue of "The Siege of Jerusalum"

VG's "The Civil War", still the best strategic game of any period i've ever seen.

AH's "Ceasar Alesia". While not a system that can simulate ancient battles, its perfect for the siege it was trying to reproduce. Requiring 'perfect' roman play, however, the Gauls could far too easily co-ordiante their inner and outer efforts, making this one strictly for those that like getting a lesson in tactics dished out to them.

Drusus

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!