StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 07 Feb 07, 04:53
Private First Class
EU
March Offensive 

Justin is on the path to success [1-99]
Have you ever tried to design your own wargame?

Have any of you ever tried designing your own wargame?

I am guessing almost all of us have had a go at doing it – with varying degrees of success.

What kind of problems did you face in doing it and did the project ever see print, or was it confined to the back of a wardrobe never to see the light of day?

I remember when I was younger I had some attempts to come up with a rules system for a Napoleonic tabletop wargame – but it was extremely simplistic, although, today that seems to be a growing trend. I playtested it with a friend for a summer, but then our interest just seemed to drop off.

Heading up a school wargames club in UK I also tried my hand at WW2 wargame design, using plastic 1/72 soldiers. Unfortunately my audience was more interested in making tank noises and driving around the tabletop – so that project crashed and burned.

So that’s my two major embarrassments out of the way (and there is no way on any god’s earth that I would post the rules in public). What about you guys? Successes and failures welcome.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 07 Feb 07, 05:23
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The only aspect I really like about wargame design is to create maps and order of battles, that's why I like computer wargames with powerfull scenario editors like The Operarional Art Of War of the Campaign Series where you don't have to bother with complex game mechanics but nontheless gives you the pleasure of creating your very own stuff. the upcoming Battlefront from SSG promises great things in that department.
Old 07 Feb 07, 08:38
General of the Forums
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
I've never had a go at it myself. I've seen that a considerable barrage of research goes into it if anyone is ever going to consider it other than yet another Axis and Allies competitor.

I have on the other hand, taken quite a lot of tries writing rolegaming designs. The beauty of them though, is they are not required to obsess over minutae of statistical excellence unless modelling the actual world's modern military, and that would entail some effort to get the weapons notes adequately summed up.

Although, with so many designs already out there, and with the games largely based on a more or less similar framework ie the d20 system being the most known, a clever person can usually cherry pick ideas out of several existing designs and come up with something properly functional.

You don't get to do that really with wargames for the most part.

I have noticed though, no one seems interested in making a rolegame design for strictly realistic military operations during wartime where the idea is to NOT allow fantasy or scifi in along for the ride. No dragons or aliens from space basically. No Germans in New York essentially.

Scifi is ok if that's the plan of course. But aside from games that allow spies espionage, but that's a James Bond deal, there's no real interest in starting military, running proper military, and sticking with proper military.
I have never seen anything other than Behind Enemy Lines, a WW2 game produced.
That was a sad failure hehe, nothing like a simple rolegame to force one's buddies to accept, "sorry you're 15 and you do NOT know a damn thing about the military after all"

I've had to deal with that where real science is concerned too

There's a reason most people play Fantasy designs. Less room for confusion from the player not knowing anything.

Last edited by LRB; 07 Feb 07 at 08:41..
Old 07 Feb 07, 10:07
Private First Class
EU
March Offensive 

Aries, have you checked out 4th Edition Gurps by Steve Jackson Games.

They do a cool Special Ops supplement which is pure military and written by a military man if my memory serves (books are at home).

They also have a wepons and gadgets supplement (High Tech) which covers everything from 1930+ (again no magic or dragons just real world physics)

There are rules and actual explanations for things like: why guns make a noise, hollow point vs. armour piercing, etc.

Antoher good (but oh so very old) RPG was Delta Force which came out in the 1980s. its dated now, but some of the missions can be converetd to GURPS and used fine.

Finally check out Twilight 2000, and there is a Vietnam one as well (Recon). The system sucks, but the background is good and can be transposed to a better system.
Old 07 Feb 07, 11:56
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Finally check out Twilight 2000, and there is a Vietnam one as well (Recon). The system sucks, but the background is good and can be transposed to a better system.
Man, wouldn't thought someone would remember Recon!

The rules weren't great yeah, was using Cyberpunk's system to play it
There's a Deluxe edition out there I noticed:

Old 07 Feb 07, 15:49
General of the Forums
Canada

LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
This is where I realise how far away my youth really is

Yeah now that you mention them, I recall them now.

Never been excited by the Gurps design style, but I do have a like for Palladium designs.
Old 07 Feb 07, 16:00
Private First Class
EU
March Offensive 

Yeah my youth seems to be a dim light in the distance too

I have never taken a look at Palladium's system so I can't comment on that.

I liked the GURPS cos it was very customsiable, and made for creating a deep character which had flaws and advantages that could be readily represented in the game system (some players have an annoying habit of "forgetting" their flaws when convenient )

I have run Twilight 2000 campaigns, and Delta Force - but these games tend to be short lived. Player attrition is high if you play it realistic. Also when your players have very little military background they tend to errm...screw up in royal style

The new wave of D20 systems clones are not bad, but are hopeless when you rermove magic and dragons (somehow "I am a level 20 Navy SEAL" just doesnt cut it the same way a wizard would
Old 07 Feb 07, 17:08
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Model Forum Group Build Victor Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
As a teenager I had designed a boardgame along the lines of Tactics 2. It was pretty simplistic, using squares, an odds-based CRT, terrain effects, and generic units. I have modded rules for Avalon Hill's Tac Air, which seemed to work pretty good playing solitaire. I use to design scenarios to OAoW 1 way back when but have fallen out of that. My last project was for OAoW 2 and used Twilight 2000 scenarios and OOB.
Old 13 Feb 07, 20:01
General of the Forums
United_States

Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I once tried to design a fantasy board game along the lines of crossing War In The Pacific with something like Age of Empires. Making the map was fun, I got blank hex maps from SPI, along with blank unit counters, etc. I wrote the rules, playtested yada yada yada. No one would play it with me.

Just jealous, I guess.

Some time after that I got into scenario design for Warhammer 40,000, some of which were actully published in the late 80's and early 90's. Then they changed the combat system for the game, and I got out of that too.

Scenario design was fun as well, but overall the experiences were unfullfilling.

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)
Old 13 Feb 07, 20:23
General of the Forums
Canada

Justin, the best way to sum up Paladium, is a basic rip off of D&D hehe.

Or maybe to be less mean sounding, it's D&D for the more serious D&Der, because it's a less flaky D&D.

The key to Paladium, is it has some of the hobbies most cool settings. Rifts is NOT for pussy newby rolegamers for instance
Sponsored Links

Old 21 Feb 07, 22:16
Banned
United_States
March Offensive Summer Campaign 

Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99]
I hope to someday print some of my own maps to make hypothetical conflicts or battles. To me, most of the interest in having the other side win a battle or war is to see what came next. If anyone played the videogame, Kessen, you know what I mean.
Some concepts I'd like to do, with similar rules to other period games:
Ming Navy vs Turkish Navy, 15th century.
Spanish Legions vs Japanese Samurai in the early-mid 17th century.
Confederate Expeditionary Force vs Prussian Army, France, 1871.
Fascist Republic of France vs Imperial Germany, the Rhineland to Berlin, 1936.
And the biggest in scope of all,
Cold War goes hot, Nato vs WP: Turkey, Eastern Germany, Pakistan, 1964.
Cold War ignites again, less the proxy war: North America, China, 1985. Wolverines!

All would be at the tactical level on hex and counter, and I'm serious about doing it when I have the time and money to print the stuff out.

Last edited by Swampwolf; 21 Feb 07 at 22:20..
Old 24 Feb 07, 14:14
Major General
United_States

chrisvalla is on the path to success [1-99] chrisvalla is on the path to success [1-99] chrisvalla is on the path to success [1-99] chrisvalla is on the path to success [1-99]
My old gaming group came up with a A-A style game. It started out Napoleonic in nature using a map of Europe drawn onto poster board with 1/72 figures from the era but then kind of morphed into something more modern using said WWII and modern pieces as well as others from A-A, Fortress America, Supremacy, and a few other games. We had basic territories and resources territory bonuses (like FA, only they added resource points to your income) as well as ports, airfields, fortresses, improved roads/RR (to move faster ala Civ) and resource gathering... kinda like a board game version of Total War without any unit upgrades though we used a tech tree like A-A (only much larger) that you had to work your way up to go from WWII pieces to missile cruisers, helicopters, hovertanks, cruise missiles, ICBMs, and Star Wars systems.
Old 27 Feb 07, 01:13
Private First Class
EU
March Offensive 

I also once designed a card game which had 6 players trying to destroy each others' cities with a variety of nukes and conventional forces. It was simplistic, but fun and involved some tactical play.

However, my art work on the cards was not very good, although now I bought a laminator (every wargamer NEEDS a laminator) I am tempted to dust them off and update their artwork.

If work didnt want to sponsor my hobbt they wouldnt give me access to laser printers...
Old 28 Feb 07, 15:14
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Making my own wargame, eh?

Oh yeah, been there. Way back in middle-school/junior high, I was writing rules for a 1/35 scale wargame somewhat similiar to Warhammer 40k.

I have a dozen or so pages describing alot of the basic rules.

I've also written a systematic guide to conquering the world as the US, a system of discovering which type of evil overlord/dictator you are, and a history of an alternate-history (or maybe sci-fi) world with a medieval era North America (in the future, mind you).

Heck, I probabbly have 20 to 30 pages just covering that last one alone!

Ah, I had too much free time as a kid.

You still do, ya bum!
"In Iraq, the U.S. intervened and occupied, and the result was a costly disaster. In Libya, the U.S. intervened and did not occupy, and the result was a costly disaster. In Syria, the U.S. neither intervened nor occupied, and the result is a costly disaster."
-- Philip Gordon, 2015
Old 21 Jun 11, 12:43
Private
United_States

Voltek is on the path to success [1-99]
I have attempted many different games, for Instance I once wrote a battle march type game where player would start off on opposite sides within their Kingdoms Capital and would each turn choose to either Gather Recources, Recruit workers, Recruit Soldiers, or have their men march to the opposing players capital.

The more workers you had the more Resources you got the more resources you got the longer your men could march a turn (its like food) the more soldiers the more Power you would have when you reached your enemy. It was fairly simple but fun.

I also wrote a Final Fantasy Table Top war game, and many Army Books for Wargames out there especially Warhammer

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!