StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > World History Group Hosting > RKKA (The Russian Army) in World War II

Notices and Announcements

RKKA (The Russian Army) in World War II Discuss the Russian armed forces in World War II. Hosted by our resident Russian expert, AMVAS. Please visit his RKKA in WW2 Website.

Old 13 Sep 06, 07:00
RKKA in World War II Forum CO
Russia
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200]
Russian translations-2

Previous thread was very popular. So, I decided to start a new one.
Please, don't use it for discussions.
It's just for asking questions about meanings of this or that Russian words and abbreviations.
Please, provide all necessary info to make posible us to help you more quickly. remember, in many times context is very important in Russian. Words can have absolutely different meanings been used in different sort of text.

Regards,
Alex

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 21 Sep 06, 18:00
Second Lieutenant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Trigger Happy is on the path to success [1-99] Trigger Happy is on the path to success [1-99]
Ok, I'll be the first one to ask a question in this new thread

what are the zimnie kvartiry (зимние квартиры)?

the word-for-word translation in english is the "winter quarters", but what is the true meaning?

Regards,
TH
Old 21 Sep 06, 21:50
General
Russia

Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Happy
Ok, I'll be the first one to ask a question in this new thread

what are the zimnie kvartiry (зимние квартиры)?

the word-for-word translation in english is the "winter quarters", but what is the true meaning?

Regards,
TH
The word-to-word translation is "winter flats".

It is an archaic term of the XIX Century mainly.

It means "a warm place where troops live in a winter".

It means that in that time troops didn't fight in a winter (it was considered too cold to live in field conditions). In a winter troops lived in settlements (towns and villages). They "квартировали" ("rented (for money or free) rooms in houses") in civil houses. So the units had an officer "квартирмейстер" ("master of flats") who was a rears oficer responsible for the rent of flats (organizing of the place where the unit's personnel would live).
Old 21 Sep 06, 22:16
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Trigger Happy is on the path to success [1-99] Trigger Happy is on the path to success [1-99]
Ok, thanks Andrey

Quote:
5. Дивизия действовала без мотострелкового и артиллерийского полков только двумя танковыми полками, так как мотострелковый полк был взят штабом 6-й армии в свой резерв, а артиллерийский полк не был укомплектован тракторами и половину своей материальной части оставил на зимних квартирах, остальные орудия постепенно выходили из строя из-за технических неисправностей и поломок имеющихся в наличии тракторов. Таким образом, отсутствовало взаимодействие танков с артиллерией, пехотой и особенно авиацией.
here's how I translate that:

The division operated without the motorized rifle and artillery regiments having on hand only the two tank regiments since 6th Army HQ placed the motorized rifle regiment in its reserve as for the artillery regiment, not having its full complement of tractors, it had half of its equipment staying in the winter quarters while the remaining guns were gradually abandoned because of the technical malfunctions [problems] and breakdowns of the available tractors. Thus, the tanks were devoid of artillery, infantry and, particularly, aviation support.

(I know I changed the sentences a bit too much for some people's taste...)

So, if the context is during the border battles in 1941, it only means that they stayed in the barracks, well in the rear, or rather, in the original position of the division?
Old 22 Sep 06, 01:07
General
Russia

Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Ok, thanks Andrey

The division operated without the motorized rifle and artillery regiments having on hand only the two tank regiments since 6th Army HQ placed the motorized rifle regiment in its reserve as for the artillery regiment, not having its full complement of tractors, it had half of its equipment staying in the winter quarters while the remaining guns were gradually abandoned because of the technical malfunctions [problems] and breakdowns of the available tractors. Thus, the tanks were devoid of artillery, infantry and, particularly, aviation support.

So, if the context is during the border battles in 1941, it only means that they stayed in the barracks, well in the rear, or rather, in the original position of the division?
In this case "зимние квартиры" means the rears where the division was last winter.
Old 22 Sep 06, 07:01
Russia
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Ok, thanks Andrey

Yep, that's close to the truth.

LOL, does this division the 32nd Tank Division?

On Sept. 29 I hope to place LARGE update for mechanised Corps. (Pst, the 4th MC is already uploaded, look to its update info on the top )

Alex
Old 22 Sep 06, 12:53
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvas
Yep, that's close to the truth.

LOL, does this division the 32nd Tank Division?

On Sept. 29 I hope to place LARGE update for mechanised Corps. (Pst, the 4th MC is already uploaded, look to its update info on the top )

Alex
Seriously Alex, you know too much!

Oh I see you came from the future... is it different from now? 29 sept... lol!

Last edited by Trigger Happy; 22 Sep 06 at 14:23..
Old 19 Oct 06, 06:16
Private
United_States

billski is a balanced individual [0]
wow!

Alex,
You out-did yourself! Your abbreviations documents are superb. I had cobbled together a small list for my own use, but yours is awesome. Congratulations and a BIG THANKS!
Old 19 Oct 06, 07:24
Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by billski View Post
Alex,
You out-did yourself! Your abbreviations documents are superb. I had cobbled together a small list for my own use, but yours is awesome. Congratulations and a BIG THANKS!
THx for appreciation of my work, Bill

Those listings are not complete. I think I need to add much in them.
I prepared them (with the help of several pals) for a year, or so....

Regards,
Alex
Old 06 Sep 07, 22:19
Sergeant Major
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

John Calvin is on the path to success [1-99] John Calvin is on the path to success [1-99] John Calvin is on the path to success [1-99] John Calvin is on the path to success [1-99]
Street Names?

Hi:

The attachments are sketchs of part of Stalingrad. Are the letters next to the blocks street names?

John

www.wwii-photos-maps.com

Last edited by John Calvin; 06 Aug 08 at 09:29..
Sponsored Links

Old 06 Sep 07, 23:58
General
Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Calvin View Post
Hi:

The attachments are sketchs of part of Stalingrad. Are the letters next to the blocks street names?

John
yes
Old 07 Sep 07, 10:12
Sergeant Major
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

John Calvin is on the path to success [1-99] John Calvin is on the path to success [1-99] John Calvin is on the path to success [1-99] John Calvin is on the path to success [1-99]
Street Names?

Andrey:

Thanks for the help.

John

www.wwii-photos-maps.com
Old 15 Sep 07, 16:24
Gunnery Sergeant
Sweden

ThomasM is on the path to success [1-99] ThomasM is on the path to success [1-99]
here we go:

"— Завтра еще не так запоют!"

From: http://militera.lib.ru/bio/streshins...hev/index.html

Cheers! Thomas
Old 16 Sep 07, 03:52
Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasM View Post
here we go:

Эфир заполняли панические радиограммы немецких командиров, моливших о подкреплениях.

— Завтра еще не так запоют! — усмехнулся Симоняк, читая радиоперехваты.

From: http://militera.lib.ru/bio/streshins...tishev/03.html

Cheers! Thomas
Hmmm, this sort of Russian phrases is very hard to translate in English.

Approximately it can be done as:
"Tomorrow they'll get much more problems than now"

Regards
Alex
Old 17 Sep 07, 21:03
Gunnery Sergeant
Sweden

ThomasM is on the path to success [1-99] ThomasM is on the path to success [1-99]
Thank you alex, and Simoniak wasnt wrong, the germans got it ewen worse

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!