StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 04 Jan 08, 21:01
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700]
jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700]
good book

igot this book mainly because a good friend took part in this battle. His CO. won the MOH. Captain livingston.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magnificent.jpg (111.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 07 Jan 08, 13:13
General of the Forums
Powflag
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
That IS a great read Jeff. I still have a copy in my library. I must reread it when I get a chance. There are some real great reads and then there are some real disappointments. Have enjoyed your post so far. Welcome to the forum.

D1
Old 18 Jan 08, 23:42
General of the Forums - Donut Dolly
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Hey,

I just discovered something I didn't know. You know Barry Sadler? The Green Beenie who made a hit with the song, "The Green Berets". Well, it appears that he also wrote a lot of books. I didn't know this. He has one 24 volume series called "Casca" about a soldier who is condemned to fight in wars throughout history. And he has some other stand alone titles.

Is anyone here familiar with any of these books?

Old 19 Jan 08, 00:09
General of the Forums
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 

PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300] PatBC is on a distinguished road [300]
I remember Casa series. Barry Sadler appearently only wrote the first few and had ghost writers for the rest.

I recommend

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...dp_product_img

It is a very interesting read
Old 31 Mar 08, 11:40
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
One of the foremost American scholars on the History of Vietnam is a professor named Keith Weller Taylor. He speaks VN fluently, has lived in VN, and is a professor of Vietnamese Studies at Cornell University's Department of Asian Studies. Professor Taylor rarely writes about the war, his work is mostly older VN history, but even when he does write aout the war he is very thorough. You can't go wrong with his work if you want to learn about Viet Nam.

Recently while reading through the bibliography on one of his papers I came across a book he recommends:

This one is about the relationship between the Vietnamese Communists and the Khmer Rouge. Taylor recommends this one and I need to get a copy of it. Unfortunately the only place I can find it is in Thailand or Cambodia, and brand new. Which I usually don't spend the money to buy books new, nor have them shipped from overseas but I think this one may be worth it. The author of it is the foremost western Scholar on Cambodia, Steve Heder.

Last edited by Miss Saigon; 31 Mar 08 at 11:52..
Sponsored Links

Old 08 Apr 08, 04:18
South_Vietnam

Some of the books I have recently added to my library

Old 08 Apr 08, 10:02
General of the Forums - Departed Hero & Friend
United_States
ACG Order of Valiant Honor Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
Hey, ....
"Casca" about a soldier who is condemned to fight in wars throughout history....../images/bks/phu-cover.jpg[/IMG]

aaaah "Casca" - years ago my wife started this series of stories, (I never got the chance to read them), but she got all THREE of my sons addicted to "Casca" and they would fight over the book, one book at a time, when my wife and finished reading as they came into the house. Have no idea, which of the kids has the books now (series is probably divided amongst them). But about a year or two, two of my grandsons were starting to fight over the book(s) as their father introduced them to the series in an effort to encourage them to read.

KEN
DO NO HARM
Old 08 Apr 08, 14:36
South_Vietnam

Hey Altus, are you familiar with this book? Do you know anything about it?

"Lot Tran Huyen Thoai Ho Chi Minh"
by Gia Phung Tran
Old 08 Apr 08, 16:19
Major General
Viet_Nam
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
Hey Altus, are you familiar with this book? Do you know anything about it?

"Lot Tran Huyen Thoai Ho Chi Minh"
by Gia Phung Tran
No, I don't know anything about it. Seeing the title, I would not expect much from it.
Old 08 Apr 08, 16:32
South_Vietnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by altus View Post
No, I don't know anything about it. Seeing the title, I would not expect much from it.
Well, I have never heard of it before now either, but I think it still might be worth reading just to see if there is anything new there to add to our 1945 discussion.

And now I know what to get you for your birthday

Last edited by Miss Saigon; 08 Apr 08 at 16:35..
Old 21 Apr 08, 12:28
South_Vietnam

From the French colonial perspective, I have just added to the library:

Ho Chi Minh and His Vietnam
by Jean Sainteny,

Also added:

I am finding Robert Shaplen's book "The lost Revolution" to be very interesting so far.

Last edited by Miss Saigon; 21 Apr 08 at 12:32..
Old 21 Apr 08, 13:15
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Let me know what you think of Vietnam's Forgotten Army Huyen, I wanted to buy it, hoping a bit naively that it would be an history of the ARVN but was disappointed when I realised it was about two ARVN officers and their opposite destiny.
Old 21 Apr 08, 13:21
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Finished reading B-52 Stratofortress Units in Combat 1955-1973, great Osprey volume with lots of order of battle infos about B-52 wings and squadrons that operated in SE Asia during the War.

Old 21 Apr 08, 13:37
South_Vietnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonierat View Post
Finished reading B-52 Stratofortress Units in Combat 1955-1973, great Osprey volume with lots of order of battle infos about B-52 wings and squadrons that operated in SE Asia during the War.

Now this is a technical one that I think I would like to read

Old 30 Apr 08, 13:51
South_Vietnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonierat View Post
Let me know what you think of Vietnam's Forgotten Army Huyen, I wanted to buy it, hoping a bit naively that it would be an history of the ARVN but was disappointed when I realised it was about two ARVN officers and their opposite destiny.
Yes, like you I thought it was about the ARVN at first too, and since the other ARVN book got poor reviews I have not gone out of ny way to get a copy, but was hoping this one would be a good substitute. However, I was disappointed to find it wasn't a history of the ARVN. However, supposedly the author interviewed a lot of ARVN vets during the writing of the book so I thought it was still important to read. I will put it toward the top of the queue and try to read it soon so I can give you a review.

The forward is by James Webb. I confess that I don't think a lot of his fiction and have a hard time reconciling many of his statements about the VN war. However, I am impressed with what I know about the author so we will just have to see how this resolves.

Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!