StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 29 May 07, 22:49
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

randyj is on the path to success [1-99] randyj is on the path to success [1-99] randyj is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankBrigade View Post
I don't know much about Vietnam. Is there a book that is not too long (meaning shorter than 500 pages) that still provides a desriptive history of the war?
One of the illustrated books might be just the ticket for you, e.g. The Vietnam War - The illustrated history of the conflict in S.E. Asia by Ray Bonds, or The Vietnam War - The Story and Photographs by Goldstein, Dillon, and Wenger.
Old 30 May 07, 02:32
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
I don't know much about Vietnam. Is there a book that is not too long (meaning shorter than 500 pages) that still provides a desriptive history of the war?
For a first read I always recommend The Rise and Fall of an American Army: U.S. Ground Forces in Vietnam, 1965-1973 by Stanton, its relatively short (400 p.), can be found easily in paperback for a few bucks and provide good details; although it concentrate only on the military aspect of the War.
Old 31 May 07, 07:59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign 

TankBrigade is on the path to success [1-99] TankBrigade is on the path to success [1-99] TankBrigade is on the path to success [1-99] TankBrigade is on the path to success [1-99]
Thanks for helping me out guys. I will be looking for those books.
Old 31 May 07, 22:35
Second Lieutenant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99]
Books about Vietnam

Hello,

Bernard Fall's Street Without Joy lays the groundwork for any study of the French Indochina War (1946-1954) and its impact on the subsequent US Vietnam War (1959-1975).

A quick and engaging read.

For details about the last great battle by the same author: Hell in a Very Small Place - the battle for Dien Bien Phu.

Then, continue with Stanton, previously recommended.

You'll be "an expert".

RedDagger18
Old 13 Jun 07, 00:00
Banned
United_States
March Offensive Summer Campaign 

Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99]
This book will be required reading in all public High School somedays, if I would have my way.

Stolen Valor is the story of the true heroes of Vietnam and the massive disinformation campaign to slander the heroes who fought more days a year than our soldiers of WW2, and the evil hippies who spit on their graves. It is amazing to me that the veterans had and still have the grace to not have returned the crime of the hippies, but I have no such reservations and will tell every hippy from that generation just what I think of them until they all go to receive their reward in hell.
Sponsored Links

Old 13 Jun 07, 00:14
First Lieutenant
United_States

Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100] Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100] Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100] Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100] Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100] Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100] Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100] Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100]
A lot of STOLEN VALOR is good stuff.
Burkett does, however go off the deep end on several subjects. Take him with a big helping of salt.
"Hippies" were pretty much villified as were vets of the time.
Protest is one of our fundamental freedoms.
Militant protesters were fringe types and many were even agents provocateurs hired by our own government. this I know for a fact.
I went back to shool in '70 and 95+% of "hippies" just wanted to smoke dope, make love and have fun. Most gentle folks I was ever around.
Everyone I knew was aware of my military background and I never had any problems.
The biggest encounters I ever had were from vets who did not like NCOs or considered SF to be fanatical warmongers.
Old 13 Jun 07, 01:18
Banned
United_States
March Offensive Summer Campaign 

Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99] Swampwolf is on the path to success [1-99]
I wouldn't be so kind to hippies or leftists of any kind. I walked the streets of our nation's capitol on returning from Iraq, clearly marked with a medical armband. None of them had the guts to pick a fight, but they did make a lot of provocative comments, blocked my path, and tried to put on a tough image without making eye contact or being too direct. Just get them in a large enough group and you'll have an orgy of obscene derisions and idiotic propaganda that would make Goebbels blush. I hate every last one of them and I count them my enemies.

Freedom of speech implies the DUTY to use that speech for a constructive purpose. These people who abuse the constitution to undermine the state should not be protected by it. I hope that, someday, they and their children are prosecuted and punished beyond the bounds of the law.
Old 13 Jun 07, 11:47
First Lieutenant
United_States

Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100] Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100] Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100] Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100] Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100] Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100] Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100] Trung-si has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Beeg difference between the flower children of the 60's and today's brats.
Hippies are long gone or at least assimilated.

Guess you didn't care for the Boston Tea Party, either.

There were a lot of things in America that needed attention in those days.

Same-same the 60's. Today too.

"My country right or wrong" was for Adolph and his gang.
Old 14 Jun 07, 09:15
Lieutenant General
Australia

thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Sadly, not really. Amazingly, very little critical history has actually been written about the Vietnam War. Most of what is out there has either been written by journalists or vetreans (or is an official history), and what critical history has been written often focuses on specific campaigns, nations and events. Marilyn B Young's The Vietnam Wars will take you from early Vietnamese history to 1975 in 300 pages and is very readable, but concerntrates more on a political than military history of the war.
Colonel Summers' widely quoted critique of US strategy in the Vietnam War is having a modest vogue...it is poor history, poor strategy, and poor Clausewitz to boot - Robet Komer, Survival, 27:2, p. 94.
Old 14 Jun 07, 21:14
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

randyj is on the path to success [1-99] randyj is on the path to success [1-99] randyj is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester View Post
Sadly, not really. Amazingly, very little critical history has actually been written about the Vietnam War . . .
You must be kidding! There's more critical history than you can read in a lifetime . . .
Old 15 Jun 07, 06:41
Lieutenant General
Australia

thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300]
Dude, are you serious? Take a look at Boony's list - with all due respect, the fact that Mark Woodruff makes it shows you how shallow the pool can be. As I said, there's more than enough vetreans accounts, journalistic exposes and official histories. But actual critical history? Very, very little. Vietnam has yet to find its Richard Overys and Stephen Bungays, its David Glantz and Martin Gilbert.
Colonel Summers' widely quoted critique of US strategy in the Vietnam War is having a modest vogue...it is poor history, poor strategy, and poor Clausewitz to boot - Robet Komer, Survival, 27:2, p. 94.
Old 15 Jun 07, 12:39
General of the Forums
Powflag
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Jester, the problem is that we have little mention of the 'whole' war in 'American' history books in school. Almost everything there tells only of the negative aspects, included every mistake we made and makes little or no comment on what the enemy was up to and the atrocities they committed. I was there, saw it first handed and can honestly say Americans students are misinformed. There is little mention of the medical help we provided in villages etc. All we get is the dope smoking, losing, My Lai type stories. We want the WHOLE story told.
If you were there and saw what we did (villagers skinned, raped, beheaded, children shot or tortured, bodies desecrated by the enemy) and knew it wasn't being told, you would feel as we do.
Old 16 Jun 07, 15:35
General of the Forums - Donut Dolly
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyj View Post
You must be kidding! There's more critical history than you can read in a lifetime . . .
This is correct. Until recently all that was available was critical. Today all the "Classic" texts about the VN war that are routinely assigned in High School and College level course work are still the critical ones. Books like "The Best and the Brightest", "Bright and Shining Lie", "Once upon a distant War", "Fire in the lake", "Four hours in My Lai", and "Dispatches" are what you find in academic reading assignments.

There is a nice discussion here about "Dispatches." The book portrays the American fighting man as a sicko. Yet look at what the Vets here say about Dispatches in the threads. Michael Herr presents his sickos as being representative. The Vets who where there say that such behavior was an extremely rare aberration that most never had contact with. It was not represetative at all. Yet Herr's Dispatches is routinely elevated as writing about "How it really was", and is popular in academic settings.

These days we are fortunate enough that we have had a wave of Vets coming forth, writing books, and telling their stories and giving a different perspective. These are widely available to people such as me who seek them out, but these books are never assigned as high school or college level reading about the history of the VN conflict.

Whenever there is an "intellectual" discussion about the literature pertaining to the war, the only books mentioned are those that are critical. America enjoys being self critical over the VN war. I refer you to the thread on Stone's new movie for more on this concept.

M.S.

Last edited by Miss Saigon; 16 Jun 07 at 16:07..
Old 16 Jun 07, 15:39
General of the Forums - Donut Dolly
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
If you were there and saw what we did (villagers skinned, raped, beheaded, children shot or tortured, bodies desecrated by the enemy) and knew it wasn't being told, you would feel as we do.
D1 exagerates NONE of this. Such things were routine and well documented. Unfortunately they were routinely ignored by a media (something can be documented without being given a voice), society, and world who sought desperately to find fault with the American position in Vietnam and make excuses for the Communist enemies.
Old 16 Jun 07, 15:58
General of the Forums
Powflag
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Thanks MS. These WERE the things that happened regularly. Anyone who the enemy knew was supporting us, was sympathetic towards us, was 'THOUGHT' to be with us, those who resisted the enemy etc. were targeted. Those who perpetrated these atrocities were complete animals. How can anyone boil a child in hot water, skin someone alive, behead, blind, rape and murder be allowed to remain unmentioned in history books? I hope a slow and painful death befalls these animals or 'heroes for their cause' as 'Traitor Jane' liked to refer to them.

D1
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!