StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 01 Aug 06, 03:33
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Post Vietnam War Bibliography

Here's a selection of my favorite books about Vietnam that I will update regularly, please feel free to add you own recommendations

REFERENCE BOOKS:

-Vietnam Order of Battle: A Complete Illustrated Reference to U.S. Army Combat and Support Forces in Vietnam 1961-1973
Author: Shelby L. Stanton
Publisher: Stackpole Books
ISBN: 0811700712
Probably the most precious books in my entire collection, the only regret is that the other branches aren't covered as well.

-Where We Were in Vietnam: A Comprehensive Guide to the Firebases, Military Installations and Naval Vessels of the Vietnam War, 1945-1975
Author: Michael P. Kelley
Publisher: Hellgate Press
ISBN: 1555716253
Almost as valuable as VNOOB, it covers much more that the subtitle sugests.

-The US Marine Corps in the Vietnam War: III Marine Amphibious Force 1965-75 (Battle Orders)
Author: Ed Gilbert
Publisher: Osprey Publishing
ISBN: 1841769878
A good complement to Stanton's book with plenty of TO/Es and a rich iconography

-A Vietnam War Chronology: According To Military Assistance Command, Vietnam (MACV) Records
Author: Randall M. Romine
Publisher: Booksurge
ISBN: 1588989593
800+ pages of chronology based on MACV daily reports.

-Vietnam Battle Chronology: U.S. Army and Marine Corps Combat Operations, 1965-1973
Author: David Burns Sigler
Publisher: McFarland & Company
ISBN: 0786417064
Gives a list a 600+ US and allied operations with start and end dates, units involved, AOs and casualties if available.

COMBAT NARRATIVES:

-Combat Operations: Stemming the Tide, May 1965 to October 1966
Author: John M. Carland
Publisher: Dept. of the Army
ISBN: 0160501989
The first volume of the Official history of the US Army in Vietnam, a truly erudite book, superbly written and documented, a masterpiece recommended to anyone wishing to know how the War in Vietnam was really fought.

-Combat Operations: Taking the Offensive, October 1966 to October 1967
Author: George L. Macgarrigle
Publisher: United States Government Printing
ISBN: 0160495407
As good as the first volume if not more, my only hope is that the last two volumes will be published one day.

-U.S. Marines in Vietnam, 1954-64, The Advisory and Combat Assistance Era
-U.S. Marines in Vietnam, 1965, The Landing and the Buildup
-U.S. Marines in Vietnam, 1966, An Expanding War
-U.S. Marines in Vietnam, 1967, Fighting the North Vietnamese
-U.S. Marines in Vietnam, 1968, The Defining Year
-U.S. Marines in Vietnam, 1969, High Mobility and Standdown
-U.S. Marines in Vietnam, 1970-71, Vietnamization and Redeployement
-U.S. Marines in Vietnam, 1971-73, The War that Would Not End
-U.S. Marines in Vietnam, 1973-75, The Bitter End
Authors: Various
Publisher: History and Museums Division, United States Marine Corps
Written between 1977 and 1997, the Operational Histories Series is an incredible masterpiece of historical research and minutiae, and a resounding tribute to the Marine Corps participation in the Vietnam War.

-Semper Fi-Vietnam: From Da Nang to the DMZ: Marine Corps Campaigns, 1965-1975
by Edward F. Murphy
Publisher: Presidio Press
ISBN: 0891415629
Another of my favorites, covers all the Marine operations in great details.

-The Rise and Fall of an American Army: U.S. Ground Forces in Vietnam, 1965-1973
Author: Shelby L. Stanton
ISBN: 0891415769
A one-volume history of the war, this book is now a classic and makes perhaps the best read for anyone wishing to have a clear picture of the american war.

-Unheralded Victory: The Defeat of the Viet Cong and the North Vietnamese Army, 1961-1973
Author: Mark Woodruff
ISBN: 0891418660
Another essential book, that debunks every myths associated with the war in Vietnam, even if the conclusion is debatable.

-The U.S. Navy in the Vietnam War: An Illustrated History
Author: Edward J. Marolda
Publisher: Potomac Books
ISBN: 1574884379
Covers every aspects on the USN involvement in SEA, complete with a truly awesome iconography.

Last edited by Boonierat; 15 Oct 09 at 01:53..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 01 Aug 06, 03:34
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
BATTLE HISTORIES:

-Ripcord: Screaming Eagles Under Siege, Vietnam 1970
Author: Keith W Nolan
ISBN: 0891416420
Probably the best Vietnam battle account ever written, describes in detail the fight for survival of a battalion of the 101st Airborne Division in 1970.

-Hamburger Hill: The Brutal Battle For Dong Ap Bia May 11-20, 1969
Author: Samuel Zaffiri
ISBN: 0891417060
Perhaps the most famous battle of the War, almost as fascinating as Ripcord.

-Dak To: The 173d Airborne Brigade in South Vietnam's Central Highlands
Author: Edward F. Murphy
ISBN: 0891417966
An in-depth account of the 173d Airborne Brigade's most brutal campaign of the War.

-Into Cambodia
Author: Keith W Nolan
ISBN: 0891416730
The Cambodia incursions of May-June 1970 told in the grunts's own words.

UNIT HISTORIES:

-Utter's Battalion: 2/7 Marines in Vietnam, 1965-66
Author: LTC Alex Lee
Publisher: Ballantine Books
ISBN: 0804116385
The first year in Vietnam of a USMC battalion, superbly written by a very opiniated Marine.

THE VIETNAM EXPERIENCE:

-Red Thunder Tropic Lightning: The World of a Combat Division in Vietnam
Author Eric M. Bergerud
Publisher: Penguin
ISBN: 0140235450
A must-read if you want to understand the war from the grunts point of view.

THE OTHER SIDE:

-Victory in Vietnam: The Official History of the People's Army of Vietnam 1954-1975
Author: The Military Institute of Vietnam
Translated by: Merle L. Pribbenow
Publisher: University Press of Kansas
ISBN: 0700611754
One of the rare vietnamese books ever translated for the public, it offers a unique chance to see the war from the communist point of view. Exasperating at times because full of marxist rethoric, it can be surprisingly honest and critical of the PAVN's own blunders.

Last edited by Boonierat; 15 Oct 09 at 01:54..
Old 23 Aug 06, 15:39
Lieutenant General
Finland
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Thumbs up

I recommend the book about the now Hollywood famed LZXray battle called: 'We were warriors, and so very young' it's much better than the film!

Also, a book called: 'Guns up!', it's about a Marine grunt M-60 operators tour of duty, who was pretty much most of his time in the bush, it tells of intence firefights against NVA patrols somewhere south of the DMZ after Tet, it's good imho.

Also the book about the 101 divisions LRRP's in 1969 and 1970 called 'Death in the A'Shau valley'. It's about long range recon patrols in the A'Shau valley, needless to say, it was getting very hary in there as the US army was gradually pulling out, in the middle of the book, the artillery firebase that was half way from the base of the guy's, and I guess one of the 101 div's regimental hq's, and the 'valley' is pulled out! The guy's who had always known that if their exfil chopper was too banged up to make it back to their base, they could land on that firebase, but all of a sudden, it was gone, and they had one looong flight to their missions, and worce coming back.

The rest I suggest you read...

Thanks for the great book tips, great idea to put the covers on view, it makes a difference, I love this site because people go to do that small extra something to be able to better share the info!

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23 Aug 06, 15:53
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17poundr
I recommend the book about the now Hollywood famed LZXray battle called: 'We were warriors, and so very young' it's much better than the film!
I'm sure you mean We Were Soldiers Once...and Young , probably one of the most famous book about Vietnam, written by LTC Moore and Joe Galloway themselves.

There's a few LZ XRay vets lurking around these boards and I interviewed one of them a few weeks back, might interest you: http://www.armchairgeneral.com/artic...&page=1&cat=59
I don't know the other two books you mentioned though, but the amount literature about Nam is so vast you wouldn't have enough of a lifetime to read it all
Old 23 Aug 06, 17:01
Banned
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

medevac has a spectacular aura about [400]
medevac has a spectacular aura about [400]
great interview Bonnierat. Keep them coming.
Old 12 Oct 06, 16:31
Major General
Scotland

thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99] thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99] thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99] thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99] thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99] thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99]
great list boonie the ripcord one is agreat read ..

thomas

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/
Old 02 Apr 07, 19:14
General of the Forums
Powflag
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
One of my favorite books is by a real soldier who deserves all of our respect, the late Col. David Hackworth. His book, 'Steel my Soldier's Heart' was a great read for me. He does some bragging now and then, but he allowed to in my mind. He was a man who took no crap from anyone yet looked after his boys real well. That was something truly lacking in the war.

Rest in peace, I still salute you.
Old 03 Apr 07, 02:06
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
One of my favorite books is by a real soldier who deserves all of our respect, the late Col. David Hackworth. His book, 'Steel my Soldier's Heart' was a great read for me. He does some bragging now and then, but he allowed to in my mind. He was a man who took no crap from anyone yet looked after his boys real well. That was something truly lacking in the war.

Rest in peace, I still salute you.
Hackworth's books are on my reading list, both Steel My Soldier's Heart and his autobiography About Face. He was operations officer of 1/327 during his first VN tour and created to controversial Tiger Force.

Old 06 Apr 07, 10:26
Lieutenant General
Finland

17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonierat View Post
I'm sure you mean We Were Soldiers Once...and Young , probably one of the most famous book about Vietnam, written by LTC Moore and Joe Galloway themselves.

There's a few LZ XRay vets lurking around these boards and I interviewed one of them a few weeks back, might interest you: http://www.armchairgeneral.com/artic...&page=1&cat=59
I don't know the other two books you mentioned though, but the amount literature about Nam is so vast you wouldn't have enough of a lifetime to read it all
Thanks a lot! Great article, I have saved it by pasting and making the text into a word doc if you dont mind, I'll only use it for my own purpoces, and will refer anybody to the acg site for your article if need be, ok?

I just love the sharing feeling on acg, as I know from my travels in the US back in 88 as a 17 year old, and having my 18th birthday there, I can vouch for US hospitality as being one of the best in the wold! And that comes from somebody who has travelled all continents exept Australia! (Well, I only made it as south as Nicaragua from Mexico in my latin adventure, so I guess that South America is out too)...

I got one more book that is good, it's called: 'Down south, one tour in Vietnam', by: William H. Hardwick. I think the extra text on the cover say's it all "The story of one Marines jungle war-raw, tough, and uncessored"!
READ IT!

Also, the very great air war that took place over 'NAM', should be read about, many books are out there, and this is one pretty good account from over three hundred interviews, a comprehencive view, its called:
FAST MOVERS, Jet pilots and the Vietnam experience.
by: John Darrell Sherwood

A good book on the air war, mostly about rolling thunder, but allsorts there...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Centurion 5 of the Australian Armoured Corps 'scrub bashing' Phuoc tuy province 1971.jpg (28.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg F111 GITS OUT AFTER PICLE BARREL HIT!.JPG (95.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Fast movers Semper Fidelis.jpg (108.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Firststrike.jpg (34.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg vietmam huey chopper1.jpg (36.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg vietnam!.jpg (55.9 KB, 53 views)

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by 17poundr; 06 Apr 07 at 10:40..
Old 18 Apr 07, 18:53
General of the Forums
Powflag
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] DeltaOne has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
'Good to Go'

A book from Harry Constance and Randall Fuerst. Harry was a member of Seal Team Two in the 'Nam' and I have found his story very interesting. He was well respected by those who served with him in the bush and on the water.

DeltaOne
Sponsored Links

Old 14 May 07, 13:45
General of the Forums
Powflag

Con Thien

Hi Guys,

"Con Thien - Hill of Angels" is a fantastic read. It goes into detail on the battle for the hill, the patrolling in 'Leatherneck Square', the building of the thrace and the difference of opinion between the MACV and the Marine Force command on how to conduct the war.

DeltaOne
Old 14 May 07, 19:49
Lieutenant General
Australia

thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300]
Unit Histories

Last Out: 4RAR/NZ (ANZAC) Battalions second tour in Vietnam
Author: Jerry Taylor
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
ISBN: 1 86508 561 8

Absolutely superb description of the way an ANZAC battalion prepared, trained, and then fought in Vietnam. Ultra-thorough on stuff like OOBs, TO&Es, who was in command of what when etc. Definite reading if you want to know how the Anzacs fought in Phuoc Tuy.

General Descriptions

Jungle Tracks: Australian Armour in Vietnam
Author: Gary McKay and Graeme Nicholas
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
ISBN: 1 86508 449 2

Very good general book dealing with the deployment of both Australian heavy armour and cavalry to Vietnam. Lots of primary sources, but also very much an analysis rather than a narrative. Heaps of stuff on basics like moving through the jungle, APCs ambushes and contact drill.
Colonel Summers' widely quoted critique of US strategy in the Vietnam War is having a modest vogue...it is poor history, poor strategy, and poor Clausewitz to boot - Robet Komer, Survival, 27:2, p. 94.
Old 15 May 07, 02:07
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam

Looks like great books jester do you if a book exist about the story of the ATF in Vietnam?
Old 15 May 07, 06:38
Lieutenant General
Australia

thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300]
All the books I've ever seen either focus on specific units (as in the one above) or on the entire Australian contribution - AATV through 1RAR through 1ATF through the RAN, RAAF etc. Gary McKay and Elizabeth Stewart's Vietnam Shots is probably your best bet.
Colonel Summers' widely quoted critique of US strategy in the Vietnam War is having a modest vogue...it is poor history, poor strategy, and poor Clausewitz to boot - Robet Komer, Survival, 27:2, p. 94.
Old 29 May 07, 21:30
Second Lieutenant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign 

TankBrigade is on the path to success [1-99] TankBrigade is on the path to success [1-99] TankBrigade is on the path to success [1-99] TankBrigade is on the path to success [1-99]
I don't know much about Vietnam. Is there a book that is not too long (meaning shorter than 500 pages) that still provides a desriptive history of the war?

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!