HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II > Personalities

Notices and Announcements

Personalities From the leaders to the followers; this is about the people who made history.

Old 30 Jun 06, 09:16
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500]
R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500]
Question Help - Rommel's Aide/Adjutant

Looking for the full name of Rommel's aide/adjutant in the 7th Panzer Division and later in North Africa until he was killed. Rommel's papers, biographies, and other narratives on Rommel only refer to a "Captain/Major Schraepler".

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 04 Jul 06, 01:30
Brigadier General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300] thejester is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.N. Armstrong
Looking for the full name of Rommel's aide/adjutant in the 7th Panzer Division and later in North Africa until he was killed. Rommel's papers, biographies, and other narratives on Rommel only refer to a "Captain/Major Schraepler".

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I've got a book at home called 'With Rommel in the Desert' by a different bloke in which Schraepler is mentioned, IIRC. I'll have a look later this week.
Colonel Summers' widely quoted critique of US strategy in the Vietnam War is having a modest vogue...it is poor history, poor strategy, and poor Clausewitz to boot - Robet Komer, Survival, 27:2, p. 94.
Old 04 Jul 06, 07:17
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500]
R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester
I've got a book at home called 'With Rommel in the Desert' by a different bloke in which Schraepler is mentioned, IIRC. I'll have a look later this week.
Great, I appreciate the look. Since the adjutant went on to get himself run over in the desert, history has not worried about his first name. I just went through some German works which did extensive interviews of veterans from "Unit Tradition Club" rosters, and they did not come up with a first name.
Old 14 May 11, 08:45
Recruit
United_States

raymondreiss is a balanced individual [0]
Rommel

My grandfather had a chauffeur, whom I only know his first name, ADAM. He was a private valet for Rommel during WWII. He told me Rommel had four private aides; a chauffeur, a pilot, a valet and a secretary. Adam's job as a valet was to gather all of his personal effects (i.e. clothes, papers, maps, etc) and move them whenever the General moved his location. He said Rommel was a soldier's general and refused to eat special food because he wanted to eat whatever his soldiers ate because he wanted to know their morale and what they might be capable of handling. He said Rommel fought for Germany's pride, and that Rommel did not support the hatred and killing of Jews. After Rommel's suicide ADAM was sent to the Russian front. He was captured by the Russians and told to stand out in an open field for three days with other captured soldiers. Then he was told the war is over and go home. He immediately headed for the USA army and eventually to America where my grandfather hired him.
Old 14 May 11, 16:41
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 SPQR Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester View Post
And 5 years later we anxiously await word. Must've been a long weekend.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!