HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Weider Hosting > RKKA (The Russian Army) in World War II

Notices and Announcements

RKKA (The Russian Army) in World War II Discuss the Russian armed forces in World War II. Hosted by our resident Russian expert, AMVAS. Please visit his RKKA in WW2 Website.

Old 04 Jun 06, 09:49
Gunnery Sergeant
UK

Dave T is on the path to success [1-99]
Nikolai Ivanovich Kuznetsov

I have just come across this name reading a review of a new book: Killing Hitler: The Third Reich and the Plots Against the Fuehrer by Roger Moorhouse.
Kuznetsov,an NKVD man, was a potential assassin of Hitler it says, roaming behind German lines for 18 months assassinating high ranking German Officers and Officials. An entry in Wikipedia says he operated in the Ukraine, credits him also with high profile kidnaps, being first to learn of plans for tank offensive at Kursk, V2 rockets, and Hitler's plans to assassinate the big 3 leaders at the Teheran Conference, before being killed in a firefight with Bandera's men.
I'm surprised that I can't recall seeing the name before. Is he given the sort of prominence these exploits - if true - would justify?
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 04 Jun 06, 12:36
General
Russia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T
I have just come across this name reading a review of a new book: Killing Hitler: The Third Reich and the Plots Against the Fuehrer by Roger Moorhouse.
Kuznetsov,an NKVD man, was a potential assassin of Hitler it says, roaming behind German lines for 18 months assassinating high ranking German Officers and Officials. An entry in Wikipedia says he operated in the Ukraine, credits him also with high profile kidnaps, being first to learn of plans for tank offensive at Kursk, V2 rockets, and Hitler's plans to assassinate the big 3 leaders at the Teheran Conference, before being killed in a firefight with Bandera's men.
I'm surprised that I can't recall seeing the name before. Is he given the sort of prominence these exploits - if true - would justify?
Kuznetsov was VERY famous in the USSR. He was known as Lietenant Paul Zibert. There was a movie about him, there were a few books about him. I have at home a very thick book about him.

There was a special NKVD unit operated in German rears like a partisan group. It was connected with Soviet territory with planes. Kuznetsov was attached to that unit. He was very good in German. The partisans forged him Germans papers.

The partisans had real partisan underground net in occupied Ukrainian territory. Kuznetsov operated together with other partisans. He operated not alone but as a part of powerful partisan organization.

He killed a few important German officials who were related to German crimes in occupied territory. Kuznetsov even spoke with Erich Koch, his main target, but the situation didn't let him to use a weapon. (Koch survived due he was sent in Eastern Prussia.)

I never heard he had task to kill Hitler. He was not like a high level spy. He was a Soviet NKVD agent who lived in a forest and went in a town from time to time dressed in German uniform. His papers were forged and any serious examination could define he was not a German officer. So I doubt he had any chances to approach to Hitler.

The story about his warnings about Kursk battle and Teheran Conference is true. I never heard he informed about V-2 rockets.
Old 04 Jun 06, 13:23
Gunnery Sergeant
UK

Dave T is on the path to success [1-99]
Noted. Thanks Andrey. I did not think Hitler visited Ukraine too often to be available for an attempted assassination.
Old 04 Jun 06, 16:02
General of the Forums
Canada
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 5 Year Service Ribbon 

joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Honestly, so many attempts to kill Hitler and all failed!! Gotta wonder what kind of dark angel protected him.

I recall hearing about this fellow here and elsewhere, a real Soviet James Bond, but not fictional. Would love to read more about him.
Old 04 Jun 06, 22:21
General
Russia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joea
Honestly, so many attempts to kill Hitler and all failed!! Gotta wonder what kind of dark angel protected him.

I recall hearing about this fellow here and elsewhere, a real Soviet James Bond, but not fictional. Would love to read more about him.
The NKVD unit had known about Hitler's headquorters in the Ukraine, nearly Vinnitsa, and they found and exploded the underground cable connecting it. It was all what they were able to do against Hitler directly.

I want to describe how Kuznetsov tried to kill Erich Loch, Hauleter of the Ukraine.

Kuznetsov and a Russian girl were familiar with an officer who was close to Koch (he was a trainer of dogs). The Russian girl got an order to go to work in Germany. Kuznetsov said to the German officer that she was his fiancee whose relatives were killed by Communists. If they married so she could stay in the Ukraine as the wife of a German officer. Koch had right to permit a marriage between a German and non-German. So the officer agreed to organize an audience of Koch.

Kuznetsov had plan to shoot Koch with a pistol during the audience.

He and the girl entered the room, then the girl was said to go out.

Koch had a few minutes talking with Ober Lietenant Paul Zibert (Kuznetsov), a son of a Eastern-Prussian landlord, and permitted him to marry, and then Kuznetsov went out.

The Russian girl said him later: "Why didn't you shoot? You are a coward!"

Kuznetsov answered that there was no any chance to shoot Koch successfully.

Koch was secured a few SS officers who stood nearly Koch and a visitor. Also a specially trained dog was right before a visitor. The dog could jump in the case of any suspect movement. Kuznetsov had no any chance to take out his pistol.

To the point, the German officer spoke to Kuznetsov that the dogs were trained "to sense a partisan in a distance of a kilometer" but the dog didn't sense a partisan in Ober Lietenant Paul Zibert.

So you can see the scale of the guard of the hauleter of the Ukraine. You can imagine the scale of Hitler's guard. To the point, the Germans shot ALL the Soviet POWs who built Hitler's secret headquorters nearly Vinnitsa to keep the secret of the headquorters.

And Kuznetsov was not a prepared killer. He worked on NKVD from 1932 and his talent was his talent in German language. Before the war he worked in Moscow with counter-espionage missions against German spies who worked in German Embassy in Moscow. There was another Soviet movie about his activity in that time (in the movie the name of the hero was not said).
Old 04 Jun 06, 23:24
General
Russia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

To the point, it was Koch who informed Kuznetsov about soon German offensive in the region of Kursk during Kuznetsov's attempt to kill Koch!!!
Old 05 Jun 06, 00:51
General
Russia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Here is his photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kuznetsov.jpg (43.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 05 Jun 06, 05:04
General of the Forums
Canada
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 5 Year Service Ribbon 

joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] joea has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Ha ha he really looks like a German officer thanks for the story.
Old 05 Jun 06, 06:08
Leave of Absence
Netherlands
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
SPQR Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
This is the stuff novels and movies are made of.
I remember having read a novel of Allan Furst (his first: was it Night Soldiers?) about a Bulgarian young man who is recruited by the NKVD in the 1930's and gets his training in Moscow, very much like Kuznetsov, where he too performs like a natural. After the training the protagonist is shipped out to the Civil War in Spain together with many of his comrades. He spends the war years in occupied France, performing beautifully.
I think the two characters diverge to much to take the similarity any further but Furst's book was what I was reminded of.
I salute N.I. Kuznetsov.
By the way: I read he got a statue, but was he made Hero of the Soviet Union?
Old 05 Jun 06, 07:02
General
Russia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsennef
This is the stuff novels and movies are made of.
I remember having read a novel of Allan Furst (his first: was it Night Soldiers?) about a Bulgarian young man who is recruited by the NKVD in the 1930's and gets his training in Moscow, very much like Kuznetsov, where he too performs like a natural. After the training the protagonist is shipped out to the Civil War in Spain together with many of his comrades. He spends the war years in occupied France, performing beautifully.
I think the two characters diverge to much to take the similarity any further but Furst's book was what I was reminded of.
I salute N.I. Kuznetsov.
By the way: I read he got a statue, but was he made Hero of the Soviet Union?
The story I have said is from a historical book, it is not from a novel.

Kuznetsov got the rank of Hero of Soviet Union (postmortal).
Sponsored Links

Old 05 Jun 06, 07:22
Leave of Absence
Netherlands
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
SPQR Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey
The story I have said is from a historical book, it is not from a novel.

Kuznetsov got the rank of Hero of Soviet Union (postmortal).
Thanks Andrey. IMO well deserved that Kuznetsov was made a Hero of the Soviet Union.

FYI: it was very clear to me Kuznetsov is a historical figure, not somebody from a novel. I do not salute fictional characters.
Old 05 Jun 06, 08:24
General
Russia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

In April, 20th of 1943 the Germans organized parade in the honor of Hitler’s birthday. Kuznetsov offered to shoot Koch with a pistol in the parade, and Medvedev, the commander of the Soviet unit, agreed. Kuznetsov had no chances to survive after that. But Koch didn’t come in the parade.

Once Ober Lieutenant Paul Zibert became acquainted with Gestapo SS-officer Shturmbannfuhrer Von Ortel. They became friends. Once Von Ortel offered Zibert “to join him to take part in one important mission”. On the basis of Von Ortel’s hints Zibert understood that it was said about a conference in Teheran in November of 1943 and Von Ortel offered Zibert to go there.

Kuznetsov returned to the partisans and said everything to Medvedev. They decided to capture Von Ortel but when Zibert returned in Rovno Von Ortel already went away from the town. The info about German plans was sent in Moscow.

Koch rarely was in Rovno as he simultaneously was the Hauleiter of Eastern Prussia and he knew that partisans want to kill him.

Medvedev ordered Kuznetsov to kill Paul Dargel, Koch’s deputy in political matters.

Valia Dovger (the girl who was Kuznetsov’s fiancee) studied the daily routine of Dargel. She found that exactly in 14:30 he went out from the reichscommissariat to dine in his mansion. Usually he was accompanied by his adjutant-major who had a red paper-case.

In September, 20th of 1943 a car with Kuznetsov and Strutinskii dressed in German uniform of a driver was nearly the reichscommissariat. Exactly in 14:30 an important German went out from the building and went to his mansion. He was accompanied by his adjutant who had a red brief case under his arm. Kuznetsov’s car approached to the Germans, then Kuznetsov jumped out and shot point-blank in Dargel and his adjutant.

In the same day Kuznetsov and Strutinskii returned in the forest. A few days later two partisans came from the town and carried some German and Ukrainian newspapers. There was a message that the Empire’s Finanse advicer Dr. Hans Gel and his adjutant were killed in Rovno.

It became known later that Gel bear similarities to Dargel. Moreover, Dargel placed him in Dargel’s mansion. The alone difference was that Dargel’s adjutant had a red paper-case but Gel’s one – a red brief case.

It was said in the newspapers that the killer was dressed in uniform of a German officer but it was unknown who he was.

Kuznetsov decided to correct his mistake. On September, 30th he threw a grenade in Dargel and his adjutant in the same place. Both the Germans fell. A small splinter hit Kuznetsov’s left arm. Then the car with Strutinskii and Kuznetsov was pursued by a car with a few Gestapo-men. Due a luck the Germans met a car which looked like Kuznetsov’s one and began to pursued that car which was driven by a German major.

Kuznetsov and Strutinskii returned in the forest. Later it became known (Valia Dovger saw everything from her window) that the grenade exploded nearly the kerb of the pavement and the explosion wave was repulsed in the opposite side of the street where a German lieutenant-colonel was killed. Dargel was wounded and transferred in Berlin with a plane.

After that the Germans changed Rovno’s chiefs of Gestapo and field gendarmerie.

Soon Kuznetsov realized an action of condign punishment against another Koch’s deputy. General German Knut was responsible for the transferring of Ukrainian property in the Reich. On November, 10th of 1943 Knut’s car began to drive off from his office. Ian Kaminskii threw a grenade inside the car, Kuznetsov and Strutinskii began to shoot with sub-machine guns. When Knut and his driver were dead the partisans’ car drove away.

It is interesting that Gel’s funeral in Rovno was very magnificent and all the local newspapers wrote about the transferring of wounded Dargel in Berlin but the deat of Knut was silnced by the Hitlerites. But in a hearsay was spreaded between people in Rovno and its outskirts that a group of people avengers appeared in the town and that those avengers drove along towns and villages and openly eliminated Hitlerites. It was the reaction of people on the actions of condign punishment.

General Ilgen was the commander of especial troops [prepared to fight against partisans]. Kuznetsov offered not to kill him but to capture him.

The moment was chosen very well. In that time 4 German soldiers who usually guarded Ilgen’s house were sent to guard the stolen Soviet property that Ilgen sent in the Reich. Ilgen was temporally guarded by a few local Ukrainian policemen.

Kuznetsov, Strutinskii and Kaminskii went in his town when Ilgen was absent. They destroyed the guard and said to Ilgen’s batman that if he wanted to survive he had to help them. The batman agreed.

After 40 minutes Ilgen went in his house. Kuznetsov came in the room and said that Soviet partisans were in the house. Ilgen resisted and it was not too easy to tie him. After that Kuznetsov saw that 4 German officers were moving to the house. What to do with them? To kill them meant to do a noise. So Kuznetsov took out a Gestapo sign which he was got in Moscow and showed it to the German officers. He said that a bandit in German uniform was captured there and asked the Germans to show their papers. He looked the papers carefully and said to 3 officers to go away. The fourth officer was asked to come inside of the house to be a witness. The fourth officer was personal driver of Koch. So Kuznetsov’s men transferred in the forest General Ilgen and officer Granau, personal driver of the Hauleter.

To be continued
Old 05 Jun 06, 09:02
Leave of Absence
Netherlands

natural

This man must have been a natural talent at this sort of work! I can imagine that the Germans were desperate to get him.

BTW: I really appreciate all the info you keep coming. I assume you do all the translation yourself, so let me assure yo that your work is highly appreciated and definitely not in vain. Thanks
Old 05 Jun 06, 13:38
General
Russia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

After the destruction of Gel and Knut and wounding of Dargel only one Koch’s deputy stayed in Rovno. He was Oberfuhrer SS Alfred Funk, the Supreme Judge of occupied Ukraine. Before the Ukraine he was the Main Judge in occupied Czechoslovakia and cruelly punished antifascists. In the Ukraine Funk operated more furiously. After the actions against Gel, Dargel, and Knut he ordered to shoot all the prisoners of Rovno's prison. At that time the decision to liquidate him was accepted.

The operation began to be prepared right after the capturing of General Ilgen. Oberfuhrer SS Alfred Funk got shaved every morning 10 minutes before the beginning of his work day. He did it in a hairdressing saloon which was closely to the building of court. Kaminskii had drawn a barber-local civilian to cooperation with partisans. The barber agreed to give the signal when Funk would come into the hairdressing saloon.

On November, 17th of 1943 when the partisans who had captured General Ilgen still were searching in Rovno Kuznetsov entered and the building of the main court and sat down in an elbow-chair in Funk's waiting room. Piffling with the woman secretary, Kuznetsov looked in window from time to time where he saw walking Kaminskii. Kaminskii was waiting the sign from the barber to give the signal to Kuznetsov. It was very dangerous to play a walking stranger in that moment in those conditions. The German pedantry saved the situation. Funk entered in the hairdressing saloon in time. The signals were given.

Kuznetsov got the signal and asked the secretary to bring him some water. Funk's room was in the second floor and the secretary went in the first floor to get the water. When she returned the nice ober lieutenant was not in the waiting room. Practically in that moment Funk entered the waiting room. He nodded to the secretary and came into his room.

The oberfuhrer SS hanged his raincoat on the clothes tree and went to his elbow-chair intending to sit down. In this moment Kuznetsov shot point-blank twice in the butcher.

Kuznetsov gathered the papers that were on the table and left the room. He passed the shocked in fear secretary, came downstairs and went out on the street. There were two trucks with German soldiers right nearly the entrance. It looked like they had driven just now. All they were struck dumb and looked on the windows of the second floor. Kuznetsov stopped and also looked up. Then he calmly went away and in the neigboring street sat in the car where Strutinskii waited him.

Also there were a few outstanding episodes.

Once Kuznetsov and his driver drove with their car in Rovno. Suddenly they were stopped by an officer who checked their papers. The officer said that all was OK and that there was an order to search a bandit dressed in an uniform of a German officer. In the next street Kuznetsov said to the driver to stop. He said that it was too dangerous to move. Then Kuznetsov began to do the same as the previous officer. Kuznetsov began to check the papers of the officers in the passing by cars and to explain that he was searching for a bandit dressed in an uniform of a German officer. After the examination of papers finished Kuznetsov and his driver continued their way.

One girl-partisan was sent in Rovno to get intelligence information. She was ordered to organize drinking-bouts and dances with German officers in her flat. Many German officers were in her flat and she had to smile to them. Once a partisan came to her. She said to him that she hated the Germans but had an order to avoid any anti-German actions. Then she said that right now one German officer was sleeping in her sofa. She said that he was real Nazi, typical German occupant. Then she offered to poison him. She said that she would bring him a cup of tea contained poison. the partisan agreed to do it. In the last moment the partisan decided to look in a slot on the officer. He was amazed when he saw that the officer was Kuznetsov. He jumped into the room, screamed "Nikolai Ivanovich!!!" and beated out the cup of poisoned tea from his hands. It was due the conspiracy principle when sometimes partisans didn't know ech other in face.

In December of 1943 Koch ordered to evacuate the German institutions from Rovno in Lvov (the Red Army was already closely to Rovno). Kuznetsov also moved in Lvov.

In Lvov in February, 9th of 1944 Kuznetsov, Kaminskii and Ivan Belov killed Vice Governor of Galicia Dr. Otto Bawer and the chief of chancellery of Galicia Dr. Heinrich Shnaider who accompanied Bawer.

In the same day their car was stopped by a group of field gendarmerie in 18 km from Lvov. Major looked the papers of Kuznetsov and asked any other additional papers. Kuznetsov had understood that the gendarmes was searching him. Kuznetsov snatched away sub-machine gun and shot the major and 4 gendarmes.

Then the group decided to cross the frontline. In March, 8th they stumbled on a group of Banders's followers dressed in uniform of the Red Army. After the combat the Kuznetsov, Kaminskii and Belov were encircled in a peasant house. After the ammo was finished Kuznetsov exploded him and his comrades with a grenade.

Medvedev, Valia Dovger and Strutinskii survived the war.

On November, 5th of 1944 Kuznetsov got a rank of Hero of Soviet Union (postmortally).
Old 05 Jun 06, 14:56
General
Russia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsennef
BTW: I really appreciate all the info you keep coming. I assume you do all the translation yourself, so let me assure yo that your work is highly appreciated and definitely not in vain. Thanks
Yes. I have translated you some part of historical article from a Russian book about Soviet intelligence services during WWII.

It is not a fictional data about real hero. It is data from modern Russian sources based on the archives of Soviet intelligence services.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!